Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Did you encounter any voting abnormalities this year?

Registered
    Feb 2003

Did you encounter any voting abnormalities this year?

The other day, I took advantage of the early voting here in Florida because I would not have time on Tuesday to vote because of my schedule. Well, all was going well until I got in line to turn in my ballot when there was an individual there video taping the entire thing with his handheld home videocamera. He was also outside video taping everyone in line. He was video taping himself voting and casting his ballot. I don't know what else was recorded. It was very creepy because he was holding his camera by his side very conspicously and then very out in the open. I said something to the pollworker who did absolutely nothing because she didn't know if it was legal or not. I called the elections office today and they stated that the sheriff's office was going to pay the man a little "visit" today. I don't even live in a county where they had problems 4 years ago. BTW, these ballots are very obvious on who you voted for.

Did anyone else experience any "problems?"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I got a paper cut on my tongue from the envelope for my absentee ballot.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I forgot I was still registered in my college county, so I could only do a limited ballot. I could only pick the statewide offices and for the House of Rep since where I live now happens to be in the same gerrymandered district.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Here is a related story of something happening in Florida.

Freelance Journalist Arrested After Photographing Voting Lines - (a snippet of the article)

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A freelance journalist taking pictures of voters waiting outside the Palm Beach County elections headquarters was arrested after ignoring a deputy's orders to stop, sheriff's officials said.

James S. Henry, of Sag Harbor, N.Y., was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence.

Sheriff's Deputy Al Cinque tried to stop Henry as he shot pictures of about 600 people standing in line to vote Sunday afternoon. Henry began running away, but Cinque tackled him, the Palm Beach Post reported.

The deputy pinned Henry, 54, to the ground, yelling for him to stop moving, then punched him in the back. Cinque handcuffed Henry's left arm, pulled him to his feet and punched him again as Henry tried to hand him identification cards, according to the paper.

But sheriff's office spokesman Paul Miller said Monday that Henry "tripped over his own feet" as he ran away. He was heading toward the building's front door, and the deputy "has to use whatever reasonable force is necessary under the circumstances," Miller said.

Full article

Registered
    Mar 2004

postage

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I got a paper cut on my tongue from the envelope for my absentee ballot.
    The blood might have put it over the postage limit and kicked it out of the system....too bad, maybe your vote will count next time or it was declared a biohazard
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2000
    During the primary, I was not on the computer print out. Fortunately I carry my voter registration card with me, so they had to write me in at the bottom of the list. Since I am registered with the extremely minority party in this County, it was clearly part of a much larger conspiracy to prevent me and like minded people from voting.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    The blood might have put it over the postage limit and kicked it out of the system....too bad, maybe your vote will count next time or it was declared a biohazard
    A few guys in the office said that I should wait till after surgery tomorrow to vote. They said that maybe the painkillers would help me to think clearly!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    A few guys in the office said that I should wait till after surgery tomorrow to vote. They said that maybe the painkillers would help me to think clearly!
    In Michigan, there's a special late voting session for Republicans on November 3. I encourage you to wait until the meds wear off, your head clears up, and take advantage of late voting.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Uh-oh, I predict Dan may have some problems voting tomorrow...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/01/po...rtner=homepage

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I also did the early voting gig, during the 1st week the polls were open. The lines have quadrupled since then!
    Other than the wait in line, no problems here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails election.jpg  

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Feeding the ballot into the electronic reader, my girlfriend experienced the ballot getting "spit out." We only thought it was wierd because the same thing happened during the primaries....

I had no problems except my driver's license has a different address outside of the county I am registered in, but that took me an extra ten minutes....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Did anyone catch This American Life on the radio this weekend about voter fraud? It was really interesting hearing that the only good thing that the Republicans could come up against the Democrats is that they paid for extra registrations in crack cocaine. However, the Republicans have caught eliminating Democrats from the voter rolls as well as refusing to register them to vote. This American Life story

Registered
    Jul 2002

Voting Abnormalities

Nothing other than the candidates.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This was my first year at voting from another country. It took me three times and a call to Clark County, WA to finally get registered (over a period of a YEAR)... but once registered, everything else went smoothly (or so I assume).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    In Michigan, there's a special late voting session for Republicans on November 3. I encourage you to wait until the meds wear off, your head clears up, and take advantage of late voting.

Dang... and I just put my ballot into the box... I wish I would have known about that sooner!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I keep getting harassed by these stinky coffee shop kids telling me a vote for Dubya is a vote for war and oil??

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    Nothing other than the candidates.
    Candidates seemed "normal" to me. Same old "normal" s$#@. SOS.

Remp, Stumpy, & Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    no problems in Falls Church Va. Other than I was SHOCKED to use an old style paper ballot that I had to fill in the ovals-Ive always used touch screen in the past.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I was voter #44 at our polling place this morning.

I was surprised by two things:
    • There were two propositions on the ballot (one county, one local) I had heard nothing about.
    • There was no one running against our state assembly and senate incumbants.
    Last edited by SGB; 02 Nov 2004 at 8:55 AM.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My George Carlin page-a-day calendar for today says:

In the United States, anybody can be president. That's the problem.

But, on topic, there were no irregularities in my sleepy precinct this morning.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    The fire alarm just went off here - someone must be trying to disrupt the polls

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    no problems in Falls Church Va. Other than I was SHOCKED to use an old style paper ballot that I had to fill in the ovals-Ive always used touch screen in the past.
    Same for me in Leesburg, VA... perhaps it's a new state-wide thing.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Our city bond election is having a HUGE turnout, which I consider abnormal. The polling location is in a seperate building from the general election location and does not have any elected positions on it, but it looks like we are approaching 35% turnout. The best turnout we had before this was about 15% in the last mayor/council election in May 2003. The fact that we have more turnout when it's only about money and doesn't deal with city leadership is a little disturbing.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Early Voting - Have you ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 06 Nov 2012, 9:30 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 3:57 PM
  3. Fun with voting in Ohio
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 29 Oct 2004, 8:43 PM
  4. Practice voting
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Oct 2004, 9:46 AM
  5. On the subject of communities and voting....
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 5:49 PM