Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Retail Districts / Request for Info

Retail Districts / Request for Info

I am looking for official, or at least universal, definitions of the following : "Retail District, Retail Node, Convenience Retail, Regional Retail, Scattered Retail, Retail Plaza, Super District, Big Box District, Neighborhood Retail, Potential Retail District", etc., that would be applicable to a mid-sized (Western) New York city.

I am not certain that these definitions or descriptions actually exist. If they do exist, I need to know of source definitions. If they do not -- I need to know this, as well

Should it become evident that they indeed do not exist, I need to develop working descriptions that most nearly approximate these conceptualizations, and would appreciate any information or resource leads you might be availed upon to provide.

Thank You !

Registered
    Aug 2001
    try ULI's "Dollars & Cents"

...it's a good start i think...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

THANK YOU !

(I am a first time user -- are reply's posted?)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    another good source for definitions is lehman's zoning dictionary and associated volumes on development and zone provisions

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The APA Bookstore has a number of books including Lehmans(our office has most of these). They are all good, but I didn't see your specific terms. Perhaps if you review their definitions you can modify them to fit your terms and specific needs.

Good luck.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think you will find that most of your terms are not the standard ones used in the retail development, or zoning communities. GeogPlanner's suggestion of the Urban Land Institute's "Dollars and Cents of Shopping Centers" is a good one. You might also try the International Council of Shopping Centers.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Mar 2009, 11:46 AM
  2. Any info on the MUP at UW?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Jul 2006, 2:21 PM
  3. GIS info
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 May 2006, 3:22 PM