Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Some Indianapolis Neighborhoods

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004

Some Indianapolis Neighborhoods

Might as well post these over here, hopefully I'll get a site going with all my pics of some of the neighborhoods in the city. I also need to post some pics from Indy's tallest building, the Bank One Tower.

Finally got around to uploading/posting these

Starting off in Lockerbie, which is one of Indy's oldest neighborhoods and was the first to undergo extensive urban renewal.

On to Fountain Square, which is currently undergoing renewal. One of Fountain Squares main attraction is the duckpin bowling alley and a 50's style diner.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Looks like an old-fashioned neighborhood preserved in amber. Must be struggling in this suburban age.

Those old cinemas with their marquees speak of a time when folks walked to the movies.

You show few parking lots. Did you just avoid letting them creep into your pics, or is the 'hood nearly intact?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nice! I was just in Indianapolis last week with Mom! It had a feeling of energy about it in some of the old neighborhoods. Lofts in downtown Indianapolis? Amazing! I'm wearing a watch right now I bought in a Broadripple boutique!

Boy, though, midwestern cities feel low density. I have become so used to the crowded, use every square inch feeling of the Bay Area. There are just swathes of vacant, unused land-even in a prosperous city like Indianapolis.

Registered
    May 2003
    Heh, there's the same thing here in Chicago, but that's usually because the big swath of unused land is a superfund site. Or, at least, it would be a superfund site if the city would allow them to designate superfund sites in Chicago. But they don't becuase the city is proud of the fact that we don't have any superfund sites.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ablarc
    Looks like an old-fashioned neighborhood preserved in amber. Must be struggling in this suburban age.

Those old cinemas with their marquees speak of a time when folks walked to the movies.

You show few parking lots. Did you just avoid letting them creep into your pics, or is the 'hood nearly intact?
    Ftn. Square is a pretty amazing neighborhood. It's reinventing itself as an artist's neighborhood, as an affordable alternative to what was the artist's neighborhood 10 or 15 years ago before it got boutiqued (Mass Ave). There are parking lots, but most of them are either behind buildings, or a bit farther south of the photos here, and none of them are very big. There's lots of street parking.
    Great photos, Supertall!
    I don't dream. I plan.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Things to do in Indianapolis?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 21 Apr 2009, 10:19 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 7:30 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 08 Feb 2005, 2:08 PM