Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job Search Hint (for students and others)

Registered
    May 1997

Job Search Hint (for students and others)

Some people use the shotgun approach to job hunting. That's understandable, but if I call you to ask a few questions, and my opening line is "This is X calling from the Town of Y," your response should not be, "Let's see, which one is that?" If you don't know to whom and to where you have applied, and aren't able to swing right into a conversation about that job and that place, the conversation is going to be a real short one.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    To be fair, Lee, sometimes employers can take a long time to respond. I have had people call me up to five months after I sent in my resume. I am sure you did not do this, but not everyone is so prompt.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 1997
    I am talking about calls made less than four weeks after the job announcement appeared, BUT

While some employers are amazingly slow to act, if one has done the research about the place or organization to which they applied, memory should supply something to say besides, "which one?"

Registered
    Feb 1998
    On the other hand, during one interview the first question from the assistant city manager was: "Which job are you applying for?"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    On the other hand, during one interview the first question from the assistant city manager was: "Which job are you applying for?"
    I've had that question asked to me also, but to be fair I had applied for multiple jobs, with massaged and editted resumes.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hell, I'd be happy if they just called me and told me I'm not qualified or what not, but then again, the letters are great.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Heck, that's a lot better than what I've received with some cities! I've had some that acknowledge that they've gotten the paperwork information and such, but basically couldn't find it and that the final interviews were that day and said pretty much, "Too bad, so sad."

I've also had some interviewers recontact me for final interviews and admittedly forget to contact me until I followed up soon after the appointed time of contact.

It's a VERY frustrating process. Especially when you know your qualified and that someone is looking for you, but it just seems no one is listening.

Just my .02 cents.....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Here's an interesting twist.

And not really planning related. Being on unemployment I have been sending out a broad based number of resume's. Most of which I don't really want the job anyway but am required to send. Having been at this for a while now I am pretty burn out on the whole process. My cover letters are getting more and more flippant. "So you say you what an assertive out going person, if that is what you really want then I am the person for you" I have even put "How does a person express that they have all the talents that you are looking and cut through the crowd."

To my amazement I am getting calls for interviews on those! Then they explain to me that they are offering a whopping $7.00 per hour and would I be interested. I must graciously explain that I am making more than that on unemployment.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi from a job search coach
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Jun 2011, 9:02 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Mar 2010, 9:16 AM
  3. What happened to search?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2