Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: What type of voting machine did you use?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mechanical lever machine, proudly made by union laborers in Youngstown, Ohio in 1947.

8 16.33%
  • Florida-style punch card; how can Chad be pregnant?

9 18.37%
  • Optical scan ballot. Scored 580 verbal, 610 math.

16 32.65%
  • Push button direct recording electronic machine. We're high-tech!

3 6.12%
  • Touch-screen direct electronic machine. Diebold made sure I'm voting for Bush!

3 6.12%
  • Paper ballots, just like my great-great grandfather Zebuloun.

10 20.41%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What kind of voting machine did you use in this election?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

What kind of voting machine did you use in this election?

Just a survey. In my life, I voted on a cast-iron he-man woman-hating mechanical lever machine, built like a nuclear bunker with a vote-casting handle that resembled the brake on a GM SD70ACer locomotive; an electronic version of the traditional lever machine using membrane buttons; optical scan ballots, and punch cards with the possibility of hanging chads. Cuyahoga County uses punch cards, and I was extremely careful to ensure that there were no hanging chads.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Filled in the dots with a marker and fed it through the electronic reader machine.

Trustworthy? The jury is still out for me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    punch cards at my polling station in Oak Park, IL
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Fill in the dots mostly, although this time it was punch cards (absentee).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I used the trusty (?) cast-iron he-man woman-hating mechanical lever machine, with a vote-casting handle that resembled the brake on a SD70ACe.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The digital push button kind. Already rigged with 100s of votes.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    I used the trusty (?) cast-iron he-man woman-hating mechanical lever machine, with a vote-casting handle that resembled the brake on a SD70ACe.
    I miss those 1930's era voting machines with the levers and the curtains. To hell with accuracy or efficiency; they can keep all their bubble sheets, punch cards and touch-screen systems. Nothing can match the sheer voter satisfaction derived from pulling the Big Lever and hearing the gratifying 'ka-chunk'. One KNOWS their vote counts with these suckers!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Filled in the dots with a marker and fed it through the electronic reader machine.

Trustworthy? The jury is still out for me.
    What zmanPLAN said.

While I was in line to feed the thing my ballot it was beeping like crazy for a few of the people. The old guy standing there was just pushing buttons trying to make it stop. I hope he was not mucking up the thing.

At least there are papers to go back and check it the have to.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    One KNOWS their vote counts with these suckers!
    I think the same thing. Sure, there was no paper trail with those machines, either, but you just felt that your vote counted when you pulled back the handle, and the curtains of the voting booth snapped open to the loud DING! of the machine's bell. It's far more satisfying than taking a magic marker and filling in a circle next to a candidate's name, or pressing a little membrane button that gave you a wimpy "beep" as feedback.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    The handles on the lever-machines here in Appleton were more like those on SD40-2s. I do kindof miss them, though, because those machines were very simple for voters to operate and would not allow one to 'overvote' or to illegally split a primary election ballot. What doomed them, though, was a one-issue referendum election back in the 1980s when several machines had fewer 'yes/no' votes cast than the total number of voters who voted on them (it was considered doubtfull that people would go in, close the curtains and then reopen them without voting).

We now use paperboard ballots that are counted on optical scanners (the 'complete the arrow' variety). The scanners accept 'undervotes' (even I'll sit out individual elections on a ballot where I know nothing about the slate of candidates) but will automatically reject 'overvoted' or otherwise screwed-up ballots, spitting them out to be revoted.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2003
    In my county we have to connect the arrows to make one larger arrow for our official vote. The ballot, which is at least 11" x 17" in size, is fed into a machine to be read. Hopefully, all went well with it.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    optical scanners.....been using them in NH since 1992.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    In my county we have to connect the arrows to make one larger arrow for our official vote. The ballot, which is at least 11" x 17" in size, is fed into a machine to be read. Hopefully, all went well with it.
    That's what we used to have in Maryland. It was so simple and there was a record if you had to go back and do a recount by hand. I have no way of knowing that the little disk thingy that we now get to stick into the computer actually recorded my vote accurately.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    optical scanners.....been using them in NH since 1992.
    So, a vote can be determined by one's retina, nowadays..........hmmmmmm.......
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We had digital, turn-the-dial-to-highlight-your-choice ballots, with the option of three languages (English, Spanish and Vietnamese), plus the straight-ticket option given up-front. My question is this: when it states something like "if you choose to vote straight ticket, then vote for a candidate from the other party in an individual race, both votes count", does that mean you voted for both parties?? ? Or did they mean something more like, all your straight-ticket votes count, EXCEPT in the race where you voted for the other guy? It wasn't real clear what they meant.

I stood in line for about 45 minutes this morning, in the rain, outside, to vote. I didn't do the early voting option, because my hubby wanted to vote, and he was out of town for the last two months and missed early voting. I thought it would increase his chances of going, if I went with him. No coffee or doughnuts - shucks!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2002
    That's the type of ballot/machine we used back home in Oklahoma City. Keep it simple! It never had any problems that I'm aware of.

Now here in South FL, it's a different ball game altogether...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I had to draw a line connecting the two ends of an arrow with a black felt tipped pen. Then I fed it through a machine.. but I'm not sure if that's accurate because the first time I tried to feed it through it wouldn't take it and I had to flip it over.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    Or did they mean something more like, all your straight-ticket votes count, EXCEPT in the race where you voted for the other guy?
    HMMM Sounds confusing to me. I'd say option B.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Maricopa County (Phoenix) uses these monsters still. Not only is the size large, but it is card stock heavy duty too. I like it fine. They use the same thing at the polls and for voting by mail.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Same here in Central FL.

optical scanner

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    When I was younger, I remember the monster industrial lever machine.
    Last Presidential election our fair county had the punch card.
    Today experienced a Touch Screen.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Diebold Baby.....

I got to vote on the gazillion dollar diebold (looks like one of those MS data pads, about 13"x19" with touch screen capacity and two cup holders, not to mention the corynthian (spelling?) leather.....
    The poll worker takes you to the data pad and plugs in a box to activate the system.

Some of the drawn buttons on the screen were a little to close for me to feel comfortable about a 70+ year old knowing that they punched the right space....but there is a recap screen that allows and requires your approval prior to making a final vote.....all designed to make you feel like you really voted....after all, in the end, your the only one that knows you did for sure....

This country needs a uniform voting method and you know what....thats a billion dollars I would be happy to help pay for......for the right system....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    ....but there is a recap screen that allows and requires your approval prior to making a final vote.....all designed to make you feel like you really voted....after all, in the end, your the only one that knows you did for sure....
    Same here, very good feature.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Another plug for Oregon's great vote-by-mail system. Very clear paper ballots with every opportunity to research the candidates & issues on your own time and vote in the peaceful comfort of one's own home.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The time machine
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 10 Jan 2011, 1:44 PM
  2. Russian Sleep Machine
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Jan 2009, 11:50 PM
  3. Machine-adapted field listing