Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Someone Explain?

Registered
    Jul 2004

Can Someone Explain?

What's up with the South? There's obviously a major difference in values and social norms between the South and the rest of the US. If we're ever going to get our Country back, we need to figure these people out. We need to go to work now!!! Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Man With a Plan
    What's up with the South? There's obviously a major difference in values and social norms between the South and the rest of the US. If we're ever going to get our Country back, we need to figure these people out. We need to go to work now!!! Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Please define "our country" ?? Could it be that these people believe in values, values that support the family, etc.

Why don't you wage war on them. Thats what the Yanks did last time the South didn't agree with them.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think in many of the less-wealthy southern states, social conservatism outweighs social/governmental programs which might benefit those less-wealthy southern states. The majority of people in Alabama/South Carolina/insert southern state here aren't going to vote for a socially liberal candidate from the Northeast, even if his fiscal policies may benefit them.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    Please define "our country" ?? Could it be that these people believe in values, values that support the family, etc.

Why don't you wage war on them. Thats what the Yanks did last time the South didn't agree with them.
    1) Please define "our country" ?? - United States

2) Could it be that these people believe in values, values that support the family, etc. - How so? Adequate housing, healthcare, education, and employment support the family. Sending your 18 year old children off to get blown up in unarmored vehicles for black gold is not supporting your family.

3) Why don't you wage war on them. - where's the question mark Einstein? Anyway, that's a stupid question.

4) Thats what the Yanks did last time the South didn't agree with them. - Oooooooooooooooh...in the war of northern aggression?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Walter Cronkite actually had a really good commentary on the history of the southern vote during last evening's All Things Considered on NPR. Give it a listen.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Ths south is clouded by religion. Not saying religion is a bad thing, but what was said above, people there seem to care less about the fact they have no money, health care, and bad housing.... but don't let the GAYS come near!!!!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2002
    That's what's good about this country - some states can be liberal, some states can be conservative. The South doesn't need conversion any more than you need to become a Southern Baptist. The national pendulum has been on the conservative side for a long time and will continue to be unless the next 4 years are horrendous (and Bush has a gay affair).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    (and Bush has a gay affair).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I believe that the President's campaign was based on a religious premise and got a lot of votes that way--especially in the predominantly christian south. I guess every politician will do anything in their power to get votes, but if elections continue on with this way, cashing in on purely social/cultural issues, i.e. abortion, gay marriage, etc, where will our democratic process be? Didn't we decide to separate church and state way back in the day? Isn't that what part of our country is based on--religious freedom? That said, all Americans are provided life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, regardless of race, creed, color or sexual orientation--therefore, who am I or you, for that matter, to tell gay couples that they can't get married? Who am I to prevent other peoples happiness? It's so wrong. And, in regards to abortion, if you don't want to have one, don't. But it shouldn't be outlawed. America has so many people of varying religions and beliefs that are in no way similar to that of our christian President and founders and these people should be protected, not prohibited.

Really, it's impressive John Kerry did as well as he did in spite of his northern Catholic background. I think the majority of the south really identifies with Bush. I'd believe that there are a lot of intelligent people living in the south, but I also think the majority of south still holds on to archaic stereotypes regarding people living north of them. In this respect, I feel justified saying the majority of, not all, southerners were quick to vote for the guy the most readily identify with--a stupid man from Texas (in my opinion).

Sadly, I also feel that the President's campaign capitalized on the fear factor--terrorists and evil-doers who are out to get America and, apparently, the President and his gang are the ONLY people who can protect us. Living in New York, I have every right to be worried about another attack, sure. But I'm more worried with W in office because he clearly cares so little about the state and people of New York who were most directly affected by 9/11. He demonstrated his total lack of concern when he decided to allocate $5 per person for homeland security to NYS when states like North Dakota, Minnesota and Vermont get $39 per person. Sure, NYS is more populated, but that's almost 7 times what we're receiving. All of this in light of the fact that we were the main target on 9/11, the President has justified the war in Iraq because of 9/11, and he has used the fear that is directly correlated to 9/11 as a campaign platform, you'd think the citizens of New York would get more.

At this point, I'm feeling very apathetic about the whole process and the future of our country.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    1) Please define "our country" ?? - United States

2) Could it be that these people believe in values, values that support the family, etc. - How so? Adequate housing, healthcare, education, and employment support the family. Sending your 18 year old children off to get blown up in unarmored vehicles for black gold is not supporting your family.

3) Why don't you wage war on them. - where's the question mark Einstein? Anyway, that's a stupid question.

4) Thats what the Yanks did last time the South didn't agree with them. - Oooooooooooooooh...in the war of northern aggression?

OMG .... 4 more years of freaking sore losers, and academis elitists correcting grammar on internet forums. You lost. The country doesn't see things your way, like leftists always believe they do. Get over it. Grab a glass of Kool Aid, adjust your tin foil helmet, and kick back. Daschle is gone too. Life is good.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    That's what's good about this country - some states can be liberal, some states can be conservative. The South doesn't need conversion any more than you need to become a Southern Baptist. The national pendulum has been on the conservative side for a long time and will continue to be unless the next 4 years are horrendous (and Bush has a gay affair).
    My thoughts exactly. We are a diverse country with diverse viewpoints. I don't see anything wrong with the South having different concerns than other areas of the country and if that unifies them and helps them control the fate of the presidency, then they are at least being effective in following through with their beliefs.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    My thoughts exactly. We are a diverse country with diverse viewpoints. I don't see anything wrong with the South having different concerns than other areas of the country and if that unifies them and helps them control the fate of the presidency, then they are at least being effective in following through with their beliefs.
    I DO have a problem with this in that said beliefs directly threaten me personally and since said beliefs mean a future of endless, bloody military adventures that will bankrupt us all. To hell with their hypocritical "family and moral values," honored in the breach far more than in reality (e.g., Southern levels of violent crime, militarism, support to this day for segregationism and Jim Crow, violence against women, alcoholism, and on and on) Note that I am never saying that all Southerners act or believe this way, but when a poster babbles about how much more moral the South is than us "elitist" cosmopolitans from the coast, I have to gag as I laugh.

LIBERATE THE BEAR FLAG REPUBLIC! .

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Is pot legal in Alaska now?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I DO have a problem with this in that said beliefs directly threaten me personally and since said beliefs mean a future of endless, bloody military adventures that will bankrupt us all. To hell with their hypocritical "family and moral values," honored in the breach far more than in reality (e.g., Southern levels of violent crime, militarism, support to this day for segregationism and Jim Crow, violence against women, alcoholism, and on and on) Note that I am never saying that all Southerners act or believe this way, but when a poster babbles about how much more moral the South is than us "elitist" cosmopolitans from the coast, I have to gag as I laugh.

LIBERATE THE BEAR FLAG REPUBLIC! .
    Well, they have a unified purpose. It will take something similar in the West to unify the voters out there... hopefully it won't be something catostrophic to bring the divergent viewpoints together. Issues like gay marriage, abortion, etc., are just unifying the religious right more (and the Southern states), while the left is becoming more complacent with the political system because they see small societal changes occuring in a direction that they want. I don't agree with a lot of the Southern conservative viewpoints, but at least they know what they want, how to get it and how to work the political system. I guess all of us non-Southern democrats need to find some common ground on serious issues and a real plan, and then maybe we'll have the solidarity needed to wrench the legislature and White House out of the Republicans' grip.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Is pot legal in Alaska now?
    NOPE

Yes 105,288 43%

No 137,776 57%

NOPE
    buzzkill

I'll have to echo Nerudites thoughts on the Dems. Until there are some common unifying themes with broad social appeal, you're going to lose more votes.

Registered
    Mar 2004

No more Bible Belt...

The Bible Belt is no longer a belt, rather an overcoat across this country with the belt that being tightened over the waist (south).

Welcome to the profoundly Hypocritic State......State of Hypocrisy....
    But I have to admit, the Daily Show will be that much more interesting for the next 4 years and twice as funny......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome to the official end of The Age of Aquarius.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    The Bible Belt is no longer a belt, rather an overcoat across this country with the belt that being tightened over the waist (south).

Welcome to the profoundly Hypocritic State......State of Hypocrisy....
    But I have to admit, the Daily Show will be that much more interesting for the next 4 years and twice as funny......
    We were worried about a theocracy armed with nuclear weapons developing in Iran. Ironic, isn't it?

Registered
    Jul 2004
    OMG .... 4 more years of freaking sore losers, and academis elitists correcting grammar on internet forums. You lost. The country doesn't see things your way, like leftists always believe they do. Get over it. Grab a glass of Kool Aid, adjust your tin foil helmet, and kick back. Daschle is gone too. Life is good.
    What are academis elitists?

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    ...To hell with their hypocritical "family and moral values," honored in the breach far more than in reality (e.g., Southern levels of violent crime, militarism, support to this day for segregationism and Jim Crow, violence against women, alcoholism, and on and on) Note that I am never saying that all Southerners act or believe this way, but when a poster babbles about how much more moral the South is than us "elitist" cosmopolitans from the coast, I have to gag as I laugh.

Post of the day

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Post of the day
    I second that!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I second that!!!
    And let me third that!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Aw shucks.

Off-topic sympathy play:

I have more important things to worry about.

Overweight, addiction to sweets, six of the eight aunts and uncles on my mother's side with the Big D, Dad with the Big D, persistent rash on ankle, headaches and blurred vision.

Its time to stop ignoring reality.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    OT: "OMG! You licked the poo poo curtain!"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 10 Jan 2014, 7:53 PM
  2. Explain Your Avatar:AIB HFH
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 111
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 11:43 AM
  3. Explain gas prices to me...
    Friday Afternoon Club