Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Someone Explain?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Man With a Plan
    Oooooooooooooooh...in the war of northern aggression?

Yes, that one. But that is old news...

The new news, is that the New South is on the rise, the population and ecomomies here are growing. So get used to our country...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    OMG .... 4 more years of freaking sore losers, and academis elitists correcting grammar on internet forums. You lost. The country doesn't see things your way, like leftists always believe they do. Get over it. Grab a glass of Kool Aid, adjust your tin foil helmet, and kick back. Daschle is gone too. Life is good.

It's not like the election was a landslide. On the contrary, it was one of the closest in recent history. So I highly doubt that Dems are going to say, "Oh, well, we lost. See ya." Hey, the President won--for real this time. And I nor anyone else can take that away from him or the Republicans. But it's everyones right and obligation as Americans to continue to question and ask more of our government. I know I will, especially with this administration. To me, your responses are reminiscent of a sports rivalry and this is so much more serious. Also, let's not try to polarize this to the point of saying that democrats are erudite, esoteric eltists and republicans are all idiots. That's not the case at all.

erudite: adj : having or showing profound knowledge; "a learned jurist"; "an erudite professor" [syn: learned]

esoteric: adj : confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle; "a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories" [ant: exoteric]

just in case you didn't know...
    Last edited by Elisabeth; 03 Nov 2004 at 2:36 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Yes, that one. But that is old news...

The new news, is that the New South is on the rise, the population and ecomomies here are growing. So get used to our country...
    Yeah, the population is growing there. However, the high quality of life is up here ! I will go toe to toe with you relative to quality of life indicators- my state vs. your state. What state are you located in anyway?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    To hell with their hypocritical "family and moral values," honored in the breach far more than in reality (e.g., Southern levels of violent crime, militarism, support to this day for segregationism and Jim Crow, violence against women, alcoholism, and on and on)
    Frederick Douglas made this point very clearly when he said that the "religious" slave owners were always the cruelist. In many ways they used interpretations of religious doctrine to try to justify their cruelty. They tried to justify themselves and tried to minimize their guilt.

"And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Elisabeth
    Hey, the President won--for real this time. And I, nor anyone else, can take that away from him or the Republicans.
    I know. and this is what makes me so incredibly sad.... at least in 2000, I had the righteous indignation - we wuz robbed! - it's only four years, yada yada. But now... the majority of this country DID vote for bush, indicating that they're happy with where he's taken/taking us.

PS - Elisabeth - i'm enjoying your increased postings.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I do what I can. And now the rest of my afternoon shall be devoted to studying for my planning history & philosophy test...now, can anyone tell me why Radburn, NJ is important?

Just kidding.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Elisabeth
    now, can anyone tell me why Radburn, NJ is important?

Just kidding.

Because its common spaces are overgrown with weeds, and half the place was just sold to a developer. Time to ammend the planning textbooks.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    However, the high quality of life is up here ! I will go toe to toe with you relative to quality of life indicators- my state vs. your state. What state are you located in anyway?

FLA

Quality of life indicators:

Sunshine, warmth, water and good college football

Score:

+5 points for sunshine and warmth
    +5 for water
    -2 for hurricanes
    +2 for good college football
    -2 for retirees
    +2 for good fresh grouper sandwiches
    thus a result of a perfect score of 10

MA

Quality of life indicator? ____________ (your turn, fill in the blank)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I second the motion.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2004
    FLA

Quality of life indicator: Sunshine and warmth (and good college football)

Score: +10 points for sunshine -2 for hurricanes + 2 for good college football, thus a result of a perfect score of 10

MA

Quality of life indicator? ____________ (your turn, fill in the blank)
    There are too many to list at once so I will start with:

MA is the educational capital of the World!!! Yes, this Athens of 2004 contains top schools such as Harvard, Radliffe, MIT, Tufts, Brandeis, BC, BU, Babson, Bentley, Wellsley, Northeastern, UMASS, WPI, Clark, Williams, Amherst, and 100 others.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    There are too many to list at once so I will start with:

MA is the educational capital of the World!!! Yes, this Athens of 2004 contains top schools such as Harvard, Radliffe, MIT, Tufts, Brandeis, BC, BU, Babson, Bentley, Wellsley, Northeastern, UMASS, WPI, Clark, Williams, Amherst, and 100 others.
    you can have your snobby schools... I will take our enjoyment over that anyday.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    you can have your snobby schools... I will take our enjoyment over that anyday.
    Enjoyment lol-

In the past two weeks we have attended Pats games, watched Sox games and attended a rally with 3.5 million of our closest friends!!! Now that's enjoyment!!!

We pahty more than anyone without all that pesky right wing judgement!!! The Boston Marathon, Head of the Charles, Sox, Pats, Newport, Block Island, Cape, Vineyard, etc... FL doesn't even come close!!! (unless getting your ass kicked by hurricanes, tornados, and floods is ur idea of right-wing fun because God sent them)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Enjoyment lol-

In the past two weeks we have attended Pats games, watched Sox games and attended a rally with 3.5 million of our closest friends!!! Now that's enjoyment!!!

We pahty more than anyone without all that pesky right wing judgement!!! The Boston Marathon, Head of the Charles, Sox, Pats, Newport, Block Island, Cape, Vineyard, etc... FL doesn't even come close!!! (unless getting your ass kicked by hurricanes, tornados, and floods is ur idea of right-wing fun because God sent them)

Ha.... I am laughing too hard at you right now to even reply... you are bitter arent you???...

well I am off to enjoy a jog in this pleasant weather on this lovely victory party day... see ya...

Salud

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Yeah, the population is growing there. However, the high quality of life is up here ! I will go toe to toe with you relative to quality of life indicators- my state vs. your state. What state are you located in anyway?
    I'm also in Florida. All of us are not toothless Bible-thumpers. You seem to assume that we are almost an alien species down here.

As for quality of life, maybe we're here because our perception of "quality of life" is different from yours.

And by the way, we're not uneducated, either. I went to Mount Holyoke College in Mass.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I'm also in Florida. All of us are not toothless Bible-thumpers. You seem to assume that we are almost an alien species down here.

As for quality of life, maybe we're here because our perception of "quality of life" is different from yours.

And by the way, we're not uneducated, either. I went to Mount Holyoke College in Mass.
    Who did you vote for?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Speaking of the religious vote of the South, I read a Catholic voting guide which listed five "non-negotiables", things which a candidate must have all of before getting a Catholic voter's support. It also said if no candidate had all of them, one should vote for the one with the most, though this wouldn't be seen as supporting them. They were opposition to: abortion, euthanasia, stem cell research, human cloning, and gay marriage.

I want to know why isn't opposition to the death penalty considered a non-negotiable? Or opposition to unjust war? I've read Evangelium Vitae and the Just War Doctrine, and they seem pretty clear cut to me. I've heard a Catholic professor say the most consistent position the Catholic Church has taken since its inception is the opposition to the killing of noncombatants in wartime.

I understand why abortion is a huge issue for Christians, but why are death penalty and just war - also matters of life and death - less important than gay marriage? Why are conservative Christian values brought up always and liberal Christian values brought up never?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Amazing isn't it. There is more to this country than New England.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Achernar
    I want to know why isn't opposition to the death penalty considered a non-negotiable? Or opposition to unjust war? I've read Evangelium Vitae and the Just War Doctrine, and they seem pretty clear cut to me. I've heard a Catholic professor say the most consistent position the Catholic Church has taken since its inception is the opposition to the killing of noncombatants in wartime.
    You post reminded me of this:

"So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Also a post from anouther forum:

It is not shocking to me that there are plenty of people that want Roe vs. Wade overturned, or that want to ban gay marriage, or that agree with going into the middle east to kick some ass, no matter what the precise justifications.
    What is shocking to me is that people apparently are not worried about the US going in 4 years from the largest surplus to the largest deficit. That people are not worried that we went from the biggest global support of the US post 9/11 to the biggest global opposition now. That we went into Afghanistan and then let Bin Laden get away.
    That we have net job loss for the first time since the great depression. That we are locking people up without trial and without access to lawyers for years. That we have an administration that basically sanctions the torture of prisoners.
    That we invaded a country without an exit strategy. That we guarded the oil fields but not the borders, the nuclear facilitities, and the ammunition dumps. That we encouraged and let Iran develop nuclear capability. That we treat Saudi Arabia as one of our best friends.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Because its common spaces are overgrown with weeds, and half the place was just sold to a developer. Time to ammend the planning textbooks.
    Well, Mariemont, Ohio, another "planned community" is still absolutely beautiful, at least.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Okay folks, let's knock of the personal attacks. The mods are trying to allow open discussion but some of these threads are getting out of hand.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2003
    And by the way, we're not uneducated, either.

That is right, we are not. in fact there are plenty of very good universities right here in the south... and accross the entire country for that matter.

What's up with the South? There's obviously a major difference in values and social norms between the South and the rest of the US. If we're ever going to get our Country back, we need to figure these people out. We need to go to work now!!! Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    I have made quite an effort in recent months to ignore posts that are disparaging of the south. In this case I am making an exception, at the great risk of feeding the troll. Man with a plan, you are exactly correct, there are major differences in values and social norms between the South and the rest of the U.S. That, among other things is what makes it a unique region. Just as the differing values of the midwest, the northeast, the west coast, etc. make them unique regions. With that in mind, I am giving you an assignment MWAP. You are to read and comprehend the following:

Thirty years ago I visited my first cousin in Virginia. While hanging out with his friends, the discussion turned to popular movies of the day. When I offered my two-cents on the authenticity and social relevance of the movie “Billy Jack," one of the boys asked, in all seriousness: “Do you guys have movie theaters down there?” To which I replied, “Yep, and we wear shoes, too.” Just three years ago, my wife and I were attending a food and wine seminar in Aspen, Colorado. We were seated with two couples from Las Vegas. One of the Glitter Gulch gals was amazed, amused and downright rude when I described our restaurant as a fine-dining restaurant.

“Mississippi doesn’t have fine-dining restaurants!” she demanded, as she snickered and nudged her companion. I fought back the strong desire to mention that she lived in the land that invented the 99-cent breakfast buffet, but resisted. I wanted badly to defend my state and my restaurant with a 15-minute soliloquy and public relations rant that would surely change her mind. It was at that precise moment that I was hit with a blinding jolt of enlightenment, and in a moment of complete and absolute clarity it dawned on me—my South is the best-kept secret in the country. Why would I try to win this woman over? She might move down here.

I am always amused by Hollywood’s interpretation of the South. We are still, on occasion, depicted as a collective group of sweaty, stupid, backwards-minded and racist rednecks. The South of movies and TV, the Hollywood South, is not my South.

~~My South is full of honest, hard-working people.

~~My South is colorblind. In my South, we don’t put a premium on pigment. No one cares whether you are black, white, red or green with orange polka dots.

~~My South is the birthplace of blues and jazz, and rock-and-roll. It has banjo pickers and fiddle players, but it also has B.B. King, Muddy Waters, the Allman Brothers, Emmylou Harris and Elvis.

~~My South is hot.

~~My South smells of newly mown grass.

~~My South was the South of The Partridge Family, Hawaii 5-0 and kick the can.

~~My South was creek swimming, cane-pole fishing and bird hunting.

~~In my South football is king, and the Southeastern Conference is the kingdom.

~~My South is home to the most beautiful women on the planet.

~~In my South soul food and country cooking are the same thing.

~~My South is full of fig preserves, cornbread, butter beans, fried chicken, grits and catfish.

~~In my South we eat foie gras, caviar and truffles.

~~In my South our transistor radios introduced us to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones at the same time they were introduced to the rest of the country.

~~In my South grandmothers cook a big lunch every Sunday.

~~In my South family matters, deeply.

~~My South is boiled shrimp, blackberry cobbler, peach ice cream, banana pudding and oatmeal cream pies.

~~In my South people put peanuts in bottles of Coca Cola and hot sauce on almost everything.

~~In my South the tea is iced, and almost as sweet as the women.

~~My South has air-conditioning.

~~My South is camellias, azaleas, wisteria and hydrangeas.

~~My South is humid.

~~In my South the only person who has to sit on the back of the bus is the last person who got on the bus.

~~In my South people still say “yes, ma’am," “no, ma’am," “please” and “thank you.”

~~In my South we all wear shoes . . . most of the time.

My South is the best-kept secret in the country. Please continue to keep the secret . . . it keeps the idiots away.
    Once you have done that please explain to me what exactly we are needing to get our country back from?

Does the south have social and economic problems? Absolutely...Are we unique in the U.S. with these problems? Absolutely not! Are there good qualities in the South, qualities that are worth emulating? See above quote...

I can only assume that the national problems of which you speak are those that have been brought to light during the recent presidential campaigns. If that is the case, the problems are national in nature and scope, not regional. In my mind, the best way to resolve these problems is to return to a time and place when and where our representatives in Washington, while differing in philosophy, agreed to negotiate through those differences for the benefit of the entire country rather than the more recent climate of polarization. In other words MWAP, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. And, in my opinion MWAP, you are part of the problem.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Oh, thanks a lot, now I'm really depressed. Is nothing sacred anymore?
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    Oh, thanks a lot, now I'm really depressed. Is nothing sacred anymore?
    I understand Levittown is still doing well. Feel better?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 10 Jan 2014, 6:53 PM
  2. Explain Your Avatar:AIB HFH
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 111
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 10:43 AM
  3. Explain gas prices to me...
    Friday Afternoon Club