C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2004

Listen up

Quote Originally posted by jestes
    I have made quite an effort in recent months to ignore posts that are disparaging of the south. In this case I am making an exception, at the great risk of feeding the troll. Man with a plan, you are exactly correct, there are major differences in values and social norms between the South and the rest of the U.S. That, among other things is what makes it a unique region. Just as the differing values of the midwest, the northeast, the west coast, etc. make them unique regions. With that in mind, I am giving you an assignment MWAP. You are to read and comprehend the following:

Once you have done that please explain to me what exactly we are needing to get our country back from?

Does the south have social and economic problems? Absolutely...Are we unique in the U.S. with these problems? Absolutely not! Are there good qualities in the South, qualities that are worth emulating? See above quote...

I can only assume that the national problems of which you speak are those that have been brought to light during the recent presidential campaigns. If that is the case, the problems are national in nature and scope, not regional. In my mind, the best way to resolve these problems is to return to a time and place when and where our representatives in Washington, while differing in philosophy, agreed to negotiate through those differences for the benefit of the entire country rather than the more recent climate of polarization. In other words MWAP, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. And, in my opinion MWAP, you are part of the problem.
    Do you know how to comprehend a paragraph? Your interpretation of my statement is entirely incorrect.

Mod Note from Planderella: Lay off of the personal attacks or risk having this thread closed.

Mod Note #2 Giff57: That would be the second time you were asked to play nice. You are very close to a time out.
    Last edited by giff57; 04 Nov 2004 at 5:44 PM. Reason: deleted a personal attack

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Let me try to put this in the context of the OP, namely, how can Democrats appeal to the South? Blacks in the South, as well as the rest of the country, vote overwhelmingly Democrat. But I get the impression that they share lots of the same values that whites in the South do, family and religion and all that. So what gives? If both groups really care about the same things, then why do Democratic candidates appeal to one and not the other?

Registered
    Jul 2004

An Apology

Quote Originally posted by Man With a Plan
    Do you know how to comprehend a paragraph? Your interpretation of my statement is entirely incorrect.

Mod Note from Planderella: Lay off of the personal attacks or risk having this thread closed.

Mod Note #2 Giff57: That would be the second time you were asked to play nice. You are very close to a time out.

Despite advice from the Fonz, I would like to apologize to the Cyburbia Community for my tone of voice in the above post. My anger relative to the national election outcome clouded my reasoning. As a result, I conducted myself in an unprofessional, even inappropriate manner. The intent of my initial post was not to insult any part of the country, but rather to rally democrats to figure out how we could gain votes in the South. To punish myself, and to display an act of goodwill towards the South, I will save as much money as I can and spend it in New Orleans. In addition, I have removed that punky dog "Poochie" from my profile. He was always a bad influence. Thank you in advance for your understanding.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 10 Jan 2014, 6:53 PM
  2. Explain Your Avatar:AIB HFH
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 111
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 10:43 AM
  3. Explain gas prices to me...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19