Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fear. (AIB Michaelskis questions)

Registered
    Feb 2003

Fear. (AIB Michaelskis questions)

Fear is sometimes a major obstacle. I am afraid to fly (but sometimes do it anyway). I have missed many good things because of this. In fact, I just turned down a free ski trip to Montana because I don’t want to get on the airplane.

I NEED to get over this.

What things do you feel you might miss out on because of fear and what do you do to get over them?

Also, let me know if you have any fear of flying tips.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Enjoy the drive

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Some of the fears I have overcome (at least partially):

Fear of spiders: I have lived in a couple of places where there were a lot of big spiders to deal with and I had to protect my young kids. I still think spiders are icky but they no longer frighten me. In fact, we are ignoring the fact that there are a couple of small spiders in out-of-the-way corners of our apartment because they eat the ants and our battle with the ants is endless and nightmarish.

Fear of heights: I do not generally let my fear of heights get in the way of a good adventure. I have hiked up to the tops of castle towers in Europe, the tops of mountains, etc. We hiked up Multnomah Falls and I made my husband drag my sorry ass to the edge of the viewing platform so I could get a look at the awesome view, nevermind that it was obscured by tears and I was shaking horribly. The hike back down was a lot easier than the hike up. Heights still make me nervous but they don't terrify me the way they used to. I still sometimes have my husband physically drag me somewhere -- across a footbridge that is too high or whatever. Okay, it is more like he holds my hand and keeps me moving forward steadily. But some things I still could not do if I did not have someone there to "push" me, never mind strength of will and all that. Makes me think you ought to go sky diving and let them just throw you out the plane.

Because I was so terrified of heights, flying also really gave me butterflies in a big way. It never stopped me. I don't really have any tips. I think I followed the Nike philosophy: Just Do It. Often, I find there is a lot of truth to the famous saying "there is nothing to fear but fear itself". Nearly dying cured me of a lot of my fears in life. I feel fairly free these days.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In fact, I just turned down a free ski trip to Montana because I donít want to get on the airplane.
    AHHHHHHHHH ARE YOU NUTS?

I hope that you do not have a fear of me asking any questions...

I will admit I have a fear of hights when I am in buildings. Ski hills are no problem, rock climbing is no problem glass elevators. NO FREAKING WAY. Something about being up high in a buling and seeing down is not a good thing for me.

I also have a fear of taking pills. I can not swallow them for some reason, so I break them up. (or toss them in a blended smoothie)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Noooo.....

Fear is sometimes a major obstacle. I am afraid to fly (but sometimes do it anyway). I have missed many good things because of this. In fact, I just turned down a free ski trip to Montana because I donít want to get on the airplane.

I NEED to get over this.

What things do you feel you might miss out on because of fear and what do you do to get over them?

Call them back and take the trip.....life is too short to not do fun stuff like that Oops...maybe I should have framed that differently... Chances like that come once in a lifetime......oops...there I go again.......how about....you can bet your life that that trip would be a blast......humph....ha ha ha.....or your passing on a trip of a lifetime.....or...you need to "land" this trip....or you really should "take off" and go to Montana.....snicker.......you get the picture....
    anyway.....GO ON THAT TRIP!!!! On the flights, drink two screwdrivers on each leg of the trip and you'll be fine....bring a portable DVD to watch movies............
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Call them back and take the trip.....
    Yeah, it is with my brother on soon to be expired Delta Ski Miles, so I could still go...

But even though, I am thinking about the keys instead.

Being in the air is just so.... unnatural

Edit: I do fly occasionally... and I drink more than 2 screwdrivers

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    AHHHHHHHHH ARE YOU NUTS? I will admit I have a fear of hights when I am in buildings. Ski hills are no problem, rock climbing is no problem glass elevators. NO FREAKING WAY. Something about being up high in a buling and seeing down is not a good thing for me.
    Same here! I have no fear of flying, and once even went bungee jumping, but don't expect me to stand on a balcony or observation deck that is higher than 3 stories high. If I'm moving, it's OK. That kinda blows any future trips to the Empire State Building, huh?

I am also afraid of bees. When I was 5 years old, I was stung IN THE EYE. If people tell you, "if you don't bother it, it won't bother you..." don't believe a friggin word of it!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    What is it specifically you don't like about flying? Is it a fear of heights, the sensation of lifting off, being stuck in a small aluminum tube with 100 others?

I say have 3 screwdrivers, sit in an isle seat and go skiing.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    job interviews scare me to death. It is probably the only thing in my life that really stresses me out.

As for tips for overcoming fear of flying......all I would say is.......don't be such a wussy!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    AHHHHHHHHH ARE YOU NUTS?

I hope that you do not have a fear of me asking any questions...

I will admit I have a fear of hights when I am in buildings. Ski hills are no problem, rock climbing is no problem glass elevators. NO FREAKING WAY. Something about being up high in a buling and seeing down is not a good thing for me.

I also have a fear of taking pills. I can not swallow them for some reason, so I break them up. (or toss them in a blended smoothie)
    I have the same thing with heights. I don't mind skiing, I have flown small airplanes before, and rock climbed, but being in the Hyatt in downtown Denver at 36 floors up is scary. Something about buildings man. I don't know what it is.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I used to be afraid of heights. Had to get over it though in the Marines. I still am afraid, I guess a little more comfortable though. I hate flying. The whole La Bamba thing wrecked me as a kid. Still will do it occasionally, but if I can drive I'll do that. That was another fear the military got me over, just didn't have a transportation option with them.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My youngest son cannot swallow pills due to a shortened frenum.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    My youngest son cannot swallow pills due to a shortened frenum.
    Mine is a mental problem.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Mine is a mental problem.

DUDE you left yourself wide open with that one. I'll be nice. Good to see your back, I hope you have a speedy recovery

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Remember -- play nice.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Me too. Inherited swallowing problem (Mom has been in the hospital to have stuff pushed down her throat)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Heights + balancing = fear. So going high on ladders or roofs is out of the question. Plain old heights are OK. Flying gets me a little nervous, especially during landings but I do it.

I used to love flying commercially. The more of it I've done, however, the more nervous I find myself. I positively do not like landing in cloudy weather.

I have shared my fear of large bridges previously.
    Batter up!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I used to love flying commercially. The more of it I've done, however, the more nervous I find myself. I positively do not like landing in cloudy weather..
    Same here--the more I fly, the worse it gets. It's at the point now where I'd cheerfully drive cross-country rather than spend 4 hours 36,000' above the earth in a tin can. Mix of claustrophobia, heights, boredom, and general mistrust of anything I'm not driving (although trains are fine, even though I've been in two accidents so far in them).
    On the other hand, I love landings. Means I'm getting off the godforsaken thing soon.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Heights + balancing = fear. So going high on ladders or roofs is out of the question. Plain old heights are OK.
    Same problem here. I've repelled 500 ft. cliffs, looked off of the tops of skyscrapers and watched take-offs and landing from the window seat in little puddle jumping turbo-props without any trepidation. However, there's going to be a problem weak knees if you put me on a ladder more than two stories off the ground.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fear for posting on Cyburbia?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Dec 2009, 6:33 AM
  2. Fear Factor gets sued.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 3:49 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 2:21 PM