Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is There Anyone Out There Who Cares If Stein and Wright's Radburn Parks are Bulldozed

Registered
    Oct 2004

Is There Anyone Out There Who Cares If Stein and Wright's Radburn Parks are Bulldozed

Please Read The Article In November 'Planning' (p.38) About The Proposed Development Of Radburn's Parkland!!
    It is all true. You can't make this stuff up!!

Radburn, as we all know, is very important to the Planning Community, so please speak up and voice your concerns!! Radburn has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1975 and is currently being considered for National Historic Landmark Status but….

The Radburn Association, is proposing to sell one of the parks to a developer for housing, preposterous but true.

Remember: (and this is quoted from the Radburn Association’s own Architectural Guidelines!!)

The Radburn Association
    Guidelines of Architectural Control:
    [I]

The overall objective of The Radburn Association Guidelines of Architectural Control is to preserve the Radburn community's carefully designed architectural environment.... All Properties in Radburn are subject to and bound by the Declaration of Restrictions Affecting Radburn, Dated March 15, 1929, and all amendments thereto ("the Declaration of Restrictions"). The purpose of the Declaration of Restrictions is to create and maintain a community:

... and it goes on. and on...

I ask: Are the manager and Board of Trustees of Radburn and the Fair Lawn Town Officials to go down in the books as the leaders responsible for inviting a developer to buy a piece of American history and then crassly encouraging the developer to destroy it? Are they going to be here to tell the students of Architecture, Planning, Landscape Architecture, and visitors from all over the world that “Radburn isn’t, anymore, as you read it in your text books” because they decided it was time to sell out, and close the deal and get a few dollars in exchange for its national significance?

Please comment on this outrageous situation. Am I crazy or is something wrong here?

[SIZE=1]

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No offense, but this is only your fifth post, and somewhat hysteric. How about putting it in context for the "average cyburbanite"

And yes, most of us got the ragazine in question.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I don't know.

Should it be preserved in amber or be allowed to evolve to meet the surrounding market needs?

Will the new development substantially change the intent of the original design for Radburn?

If this portion is redeveloped, it actually might be more interesting to a planning/architecture student because it would represent the dynamics of land use reality.

Without any more specifics, as to the proposed plans, I can't offer much more than the above.

I have never been to Radburn, though.

EDIT: here's a link to Radburn website
    Last edited by mendelman; 04 Nov 2004 at 12:20 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Radburn design
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 May 2014, 10:28 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2013, 6:57 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 23 Feb 2007, 12:27 AM
  4. News From Historic Radburn
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Oct 2004, 1:26 PM
  5. Web photos of Riverside, Radburn, etc.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Oct 2001, 11:51 AM