Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another election results thread...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Kovanovich
    I have no idea why Democratic presidential candidates, even those who are more liberal than the country as a whole, continue to be competitive in Iowa.
    I fyou look at the political tradition of Upper Midwest, it would not be too difficult to answer this question. Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the center of the Populist-Progressive movement in the early 1900's. These did not come out of the cities so much as from the rural countryside. This region gave us the first republican anti-slavery candidate (John C. Fremont, Wisconsin), the rural co-op, kindergartens, and the extension system, among many other progressive ideas. As a region, it is still fairly ethnically homogeneous, coming from northern Europe. (Note the general "liberal" nature of Scandanavian countries.) Seventy percent of Wisconsin residents have German ancestry. It is also worth noting that schools from these three states are consistently ranked the best in the country, and their students have the highest ACT and SAT scores. Intelligent people are more likely to be liberal.

Though many will criticize Tommy Thompson and Jesse Ventura, a republican and an independent, they embodied some of the character of the region. Both introduced sweeping new changes into state government, pioneering new approaches to services delivered by the states. The Upper Midwest likes change. It likes progress.

"Forward"

(That's Wisconsin's state motto.)
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Kovanovich
    I have no idea why Democratic presidential candidates, even those who are more liberal than the country as a whole, continue to be competitive in Iowa.

If you know Iowa geography, all of the blue counties, except two or three are the most urban counties in the state, or a county between two urban ones where the city folk are sprawling.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    The Upper Midwest likes change. It likes progress.
    ..and Illinois likes corrupt politics and inefficent taxing and spending and an incredibly mucked up education system. I don't know how Illinois became so different from our neighbors to the north and west.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I fyou look at the political tradition of Upper Midwest, it would not be too difficult to answer this question. Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the center of the Populist-Progressive movement in the early 1900's. These did not come out of the cities so much as from the rural countryside. This region gave us the first republican anti-slavery candidate (John C. Fremont, Wisconsin), the rural co-op, kindergartens, and the extension system, among many other progressive ideas. As a region, it is still fairly ethnically homogeneous, coming from northern Europe. (Note the general "liberal" nature of Scandanavian countries.) Seventy percent of Wisconsin residents have German ancestry. It is also worth noting that schools from these three states are consistently ranked the best in the country, and their students have the highest ACT and SAT scores. Intelligent people are more likely to be liberal.

Though many will criticize Tommy Thompson and Jesse Ventura, a republican and an independent, they embodied some of the character of the region. Both introduced sweeping new changes into state government, pioneering new approaches to services delivered by the states. The Upper Midwest likes change. It likes progress.

"Forward"

(That's Wisconsin's state motto.)

Well, I am familiar with the Populist/progressive/DLF tradition of the upper midwest -- but I also don't see nearly as many blue counties in Minnesota as I do in Iowa. I suspect that this tradition is increasingly less relevant. Iowa doesn't have a major city (comparable to Milwaukee or Minn-St Paul), which is where Democrats now must pile up votes in order to win...By all rights, Ohio should be easier for the Democrats than Iowa, but Ohio effectively lacks a state Democratic party...Despite this, Kerry gave a good showing in Ohio, easily besting Gore's performance, and nearly won the state. With a state apparatus to work with, he may well have won.

Registered
    May 2003
    One thing to consider is that the entire midwest north of about the Mason Dixon line (extended west) was settled from the north, and everything south of that was settled from the south. Indiana's major population center is south of that, and it went handily to Bush. Ohio has population centers both north and south, and it split. Every other state touching the Great Lakes went to Kerry.

Registered
    May 2003
    A cartogram of the country by county (as requested):

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb

Thanks for the new wallpaper!

I think that is really cool, and I mean that in the most "non-partison just liker of cool stuff" sorta way.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Groovy! Can I get that in a black light poster version?

At first I thought it was just a joke but I can recognize some counties and it all appears correct. Who made the map?
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Election 2012: Parse the Results
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 17 Nov 2012, 5:12 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 03 Nov 2004, 10:55 AM
  3. Australian election results
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0