Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: State Fair

Registered
    Feb 2003

State Fair

Well tonight my brother, his gal, Mrs. H and I all went to the North FL State Fair...

I have not been to a fair in well over a decade, it was just as I remember it... creepy (I dont like fairs)...

Anyone else out there go to state fairs? What is your opinion?

My cousin won the livestock show like 2 or 3 years in a row at the 4-H fair when she was young and bought herself one nice car when she turned 16
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I go to our County Fair as early as the gates open. I'm only interested in the exhibits, and I leave once the carnies (sorry, carnies) begin moving about.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    We used to go the Oklahoma State Fair which was huge...but it seemed to be the same ol -- same ol after awhile. Except for the people -- seems like they get a bit skankier each year. It can be kinda scary!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails redneck1.jpg  

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    Except for the people -- seems like they get a bit skankier each year. It can be kinda scary!
    I went a lot as a kid, then in High School stopped going, but went again this year for work. We are doing a Fairgrounds Master plan and we got to go 3 free day passes and 2 free night passes and a whole but load of tickets. We had to go and look at traffic flow in order to write our evaluation.

I spent the whole time looking a all the "skankie" people. Where do these people come from and where do they work. It was nasty.

Are the people getting skankier or are we getting more conservative and narrow minded because we are not exposes to them???

That is the question of the day.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Though not my kind of thing, I wouldn't make fun of people who enjoy the State or County Fairs. There are people who take these events quite seriously. Imagine the pride for having the Hereford that won the Blue Ribbon this year! Imagine being named Homemaker of the Year! The lifestyle on display at these Fairs hints at the roots of what it means to be American! I went to the Minnesota State Fair in 1995 in Minneapolis and I thoroughly enjoyed the event.

In terms of skankiness, yeah, I know what you mean. But SKANK is everywhere - at the movie theater, at the bar, in our neighborhoods.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I don't think Louisiana has ever had a state fair, except for the 1994 World's Fair in New Orleans. That's okay if we don't, we have Mardi Gras every year!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    In terms of skankiness, yeah, I know what you mean. But SKANK is everywhere - at the movie theater, at the bar, in our neighborhoods.
    I could not agree with you more and just for the for the record I wasn't making fun them per'se.

I was only trying to say, as we get older and more established in our career and "circle of friends" we sometimes lose touch with the "other" people around us and in our society as a whole. The people who attend the Fairs are a segment of society I have lost touch with.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I was only trying to say, as we get older and more established in our career and "circle of friends" we sometimes lose touch with the "other" people around us and in our society as a whole.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. What's interesting, however, if you've ever watched Sex and the City or some other hip fashionable TV show, you get the sense that someone like Carrie or Samantha - Who are oh so tres chic! - may actually look like the skanky ones to the country bumpkins who are often discounted as promiscuous trailer trash. What I'm trying say, I guess, is that there sems to be an un-stated assumption in your post about career-minded people, in that there is a natural progression for us to "lose touch" with non-career-minded people. I don't know if this is neccessarily true. I know too many people who can put on their "career" facade, and yet seem to live a double-life, and return to their roots once they are away from the lilly-white office environment.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Though not my kind of thing, I wouldn't make fun of people who enjoy the State or County Fairs. There are people who take these events quite seriously. Imagine the pride for having the Hereford that won the Blue Ribbon this year! Imagine being named Homemaker of the Year!
    From my limited experience the 4-H livestock display types are a different class of people from others you see at fair. In general, the skank quotient seems to be higher amongst those you see milling around the midway.

I've only been to three fairs in my life. Once to the SC Uperstate Fair when I was 12 where I remember throwing up after a ride and my cousin being all excited because she won an etched glass coaster with a band picture of Skid Row on it.

The second time was when I was 16 and attened the SC State Fair for a couple of days to help man the Junior Academy of Science booth at a NASA science display. It was actually pretty cool. 8-|

The last time I went to the fair was during college when my roomates and I got all rednecked up and went to the SC Lowerstate Fair (Seeing a pattern here?) to see the Charlie Danial's Band. We were half loaded when we got there and tried to pay the admission with a few books of Green Stamps from the Piggly Wiggly. What a blast, we ended up being interviewed for one of the local news channels. Good times!
    Last edited by biscuit; 09 Nov 2004 at 11:29 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I know too many people who can put on their "career" facade, and yet seem to live a double-life, and return to their roots once they are away from the lilly-white office environment.
    In a way that is me. In the office I am a clean cut kinda guy. Give me time away from the office and I slowly revert back to my "hippie" days, don't shower, shave etc. I have often considered growin my hair long and having my bushy bead grow back, but the wife has seen pictures of me like that and is not a fan.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Our state fair is always in Pueblo and too far for us to go while growing up in Denver. I suppose it would be fun.
    I went to my county fair (being a new resident this year) but basically because my friend was showing his draft horses and I wanted to check them out.
    I went to a small (very small) county fair in northwest Colorado a few years ago and it was okay. No rides, just livestock exhibits.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I know too many people who can put on their "career" facade, and yet seem to live a double-life, and return to their roots once they are away from the lilly-white office environment.
    This should be its own thread... good topic.

The question is, "is this okay"? ...I think yes. I surely have two sides... one for the "professional realm" and the other in the "social realm" & some people know both... I see nothing wrong with this. It keeps me sane
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Never been to see "Big Tex" at the Texas State Fair. I have attended the county fair several times.

I nearby town is just finishing up "Wurstfest", which is basically a two-week celebration of German beer and sausage. I left there feeling very good about myself!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never been to a state fair. I used to visit the Sonoma County Fair when I lived in California to bet on the ponies. Everything else...blaaawwww.....
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Last went to a county fair about 6 years ago, took the son and two friends. It was way too expensive for the rides; we could have done Disney and spent less $$. But the onion rings were great and they actually enjoyed the livestock exhibits. Used to go every year in my former county of residence, with friends and their kid. In a small county, it can be a lot of fun, you know everyone exhibiting.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The county fair in Jax is happening right now. I wanted to go on Sunday because Seven Nations was playing. They are an excellent band and worth going to see at any venue they play since they always play an excellent show. I missed it because I was studying.

Registered
    May 2003
    When I lived in Springfield, we'd go to the state fair nearly every year as it is held in-town. The livestock got old although I thought it was pretty neat as a kid, but there were also rides and wonderfully bad food (elephant ears, funnel cake etc). I was too young last time we went for me to remember any skank, but I imagine it isn't quite the same as in Flordia.

I think Cook County should have a county fair. We could have Police Horse vs. Police Segway Competitions, or Fattest Pigeon Awards. And we could use homeless people for the required skank.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    I tend to avoid state fairs unless they are having a good concert or I have to work there. The ones I've been to in the last few years have been full of overpriced rides, people trying to sell me things I don't want to need, and government agencies trying to some public outreach.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The best thing about the State Fair is the food! Indian Tacos, Funnel Cakes, Cinnamon Rolls, emu burgers (did it once, never again)...and of course, anything FRIED!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deep_fried.jpg  

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Colorado State Fair

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Our state fair is always in Pueblo and too far for us to go while growing up in Denver. I suppose it would be fun.
    I went to my county fair (being a new resident this year) but basically because my friend was showing his draft horses and I wanted to check them out.
    I went to a small (very small) county fair in northwest Colorado a few years ago and it was okay. No rides, just livestock exhibits.
    Yes, but even though its far away, I've gone at least 5 times in the last 25 years and had a pretty good time....

Saw Chicago play in the early 80's
    Saw Garth Brooks
    Saw Spin Doctor's and had breakfast with them in the hotel.....
    Carnies are cleaner than others I've seen....but not much.....
    Rides are twice as dangerous and death traps
    Food will ensure a quadruple bipass in 10 years
    Greasy Indian Fry Bread and those waffle type fry breads....

You ever go to the Tractor Pull during the Independence Stampede in Greeley? My wife wouldn't let me....said it was too rural for her taste.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Jun 2010, 3:47 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 3:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 10:34 PM
  5. Replies: 3