Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Another Victory For The SUV Crowd!

Registered
    May 2003

Another Victory For The SUV Crowd!

...there's something cruelly sinister about this; the destruction of the Artic reveals more of what initiated its decline.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Rising global temperatures will melt areas of the Arctic this century, making them more accessible for oil and natural gas drilling, a report prepared by the United States and seven other nations said on Monday.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20041108/sc_nm/energy_arctic_dc

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sweet

Quote Originally posted by Miles Ignatius
    ...there's something cruelly sinister about this; the destruction of the Artic reveals more of what initiated its decline.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Rising global temperatures will melt areas of the Arctic this century, making them more accessible for oil and natural gas drilling, a report prepared by the United States and seven other nations said on Monday.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20041108/sc_nm/energy_arctic_dc
    The mother of all conspiracy theories has just been highlighted.....
    Big Oil has been trying to get this to happen since the 50's.. ..working towards the goal of melting the ice caps and gaining access to the north......WOW....I like this one more than the others, just because of its scale
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    All I have to say is "You gotta be kidding me!"

This really angers me....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm yahoo.com ... now, where's the scientific backup? I'm always skeptic about these alarmist global warming studies... specially those that point the finger towards "fossil" fuel consumption and discard the endless earlier climate changes...

Registered
    May 2003

It's Cause & Effect

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Hmmm yahoo.com ... now, where's the scientific backup? I'm always skeptic about these alarmist global warming studies... specially those that point the finger towards "fossil" fuel consumption and discard the endless earlier climate changes...
    There's obviously more to this issue than one Yahoo link...there's a wealth of discussion and research taking place in the scientific community.

It's clear there's a climatic shift taking place and the patterns of energy consumption have an significant impact on those outcomes.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041108213307.htm

Registered
    Jul 2003
    There has been a climatic shift since before the ice age. Ice was not there, ice is there, ice retreats - it's still retreating. Don't think suvs were around 15,000 years ago. Now I need to go buy the new F-150.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 10 Jan 2012, 12:37 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 7:04 PM
  3. Victory for the United States
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Feb 2005, 3:15 PM
  4. Political rally crowd selection
    Friday Afternoon Club