Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Message boards and forums for unlikely folks

Registered
    Feb 2004

Message boards and forums for unlikely folks

I raised the idea initially in temp Cyburbia but let me pose the question here - what sort of message boards/forums/subforums/threads would folks unlikely/unable/unwilling to use the internet have?
    Old order Amish chat room?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Any type of chat room for technophobes.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I'm told the Quakers often gather to sit in silence. I don't know how you could pull that off in the cyber realm.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Any type of chat room for technophobes.
    Yep, probably wouldn't get too much traffic. Threads might include "what do I do with this 'submit reply' button?" or "what does 'left click' mean?"

Quote Originally posted by fringe
    I'm told the Quakers often gather to sit in silence. I don't know how you could pull that off in the cyber realm.
    They do it all the time! You just don't realize it because they are, well, being silent. Notice for example our resident Quaker wahday has said nothing on this thread. I'm sure it is because he immersed in silent contemplation and is considering the thread's deeper meaning. Yeah, that's it.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by fringe View post
    The Friends do talk; services consist of a silent gathering with someone (anyone) arising (or not) to speak whatever is on his/her mind. Some compose their thoughts quite well.
    As church services go, it's cool. Disagree with the minister or the reading? Do it yourself.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Technophobia Dreams

An electronic bulletin board for Luddites and technophobes

Threads like the following:

How to crash the satellite grid in your local or regional area
    SkyNet! How to keep the machines from kicking in your door
    Living postapacolyptic in the modern age
    the 100 most needed books in your bunker library
    The illustrated list of hot technological tools pre 1800

I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by fringe View post
    Veloise is right that Quaker Meeting is not always entirely silent. When "the Spirit moves you" people do stand and express themselves. Usually something about a lesson learned or social justice issues. It is possible, however, to have an entirely silent Meeting.

A Cyber-Meeting seems a little bizarro to me. Part of the impact and intent of Quaker Meeting is that people "conspire" together (in the literal sense of "to breathe together"). Its like group meditation. Also, Meeting ends with people shaking hands and that egalitarian greeting style is an important part of the service. It says "in here, before G_d, we are all equals and no one has any more right to know G_d's will than anyone else." In other words, screw the clergy! (again, as Veloise pointed out).

How could one "cyber handshake?" Also, I find the idea of the Spirit moving you to type out comments awkward. I imagine everyone chiming in at once, which sort of defeats the purpose. Meeting is as much about listening and contemplation as saying your piece. Part of that is achieved by going to the Meetinghouse which is a simple, unadorned building with limited distractions. I also fear I would be tempted to go rummage through the fridge or take my "morning constitutional" during online Meeting...

What about other religions? Could this work for them? Jews require 10 adults to be present for "community prayer" (minyan), for example. Could this work for them?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    The Friends do talk; services consist of a silent gathering with someone (anyone) arising (or not) to speak whatever is on his/her mind. Some compose their thoughts quite well.
    As church services go, it's cool. Disagree with the minister or the reading? Do it yourself.
    OT, when I was in grad school I used to go to Quaker services in Missoula, which were unprogrammed and mostly silent. One or two people always spoke up each week. I must admit I went mostly for the soup and homemade bread they served afterwards. And the gardening advice, of which Quakers know quite a lot.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    What kind of message board would be appropriate for Luddites? Chalkboards? White or colored chalk? Would the wooden pencil using Luddites discriminate against the mechanical pencil Luddites? Would quill pens be preferred over fountain or ballpoint? Papyrus over paper?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Message boards for the illiterate?

I wondered of there's sites specifically designed with an audience of "special" people in mind. (Yeah, I'm expecting someone to say "Fox News". Ha ha. I really mean -- are there sites for the retarded themselves?)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hermits probably wouldn't go for a chat room.

Nor would people with other-people-a-phobia. Or maybe they would, so that they wouldn't have to encounter other people in person.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. message boards culture and norms
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Mar 2013, 5:18 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 Jan 2009, 6:22 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Electronic message boards/centers
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 13 Apr 2007, 2:31 PM