Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving - 2008

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Thanksgiving - 2008

I'm taking Wednesday off to make it a five day weekend. No special plans. We're staying here on the panhandle. Just the three of us for dinner. ZG has already gotten most of the fixin's for turkey day. I'm trying to decide if I should raid the wine cellar or pick up something special at Publix. I'm thinking of going with the former. Or both.

What say y'all?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I'm taking Wednesday off to make it a five day weekend. No special plans. We're staying here on the panhandle. Just the three of us for dinner. ZG has already gotten most of the fixin's for turkey day. I'm trying to decide if I should raid the wine cellar or pick up something special at Publix. I'm thinking of going with the former. Or both.

What say y'all?
    The more wine the merrier.

We are also having a small Turkey Day. Just me and the resident teenager...she has suggested game hens instead of a turkey but she still wants all the side dishes which is fine. Nearly all our friends are out of the country right now or will be shortly, and the rest are working out of state. I have no classes next week and won't be working at the office on my usual days since it will be closed.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Taking the 3 day work week off.
    Volunteering tues and wed at inner city ministries preparation for T-day dinner delivery.
    T-day dinner with one of the families in my bible study.
    NO shopping on friday.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Taking the 3 day work week off.
    Volunteering tues and wed at inner city ministries preparation for T-day dinner delivery.
    T-day dinner with one of the families in my bible study.
    NO shopping on friday.
    So how many out there are planning to get up at 0300 Friday to go shopping?

Not sure what I'll be doing on Thursday, especially with the Packers not playing a Thanksgiving-day game this year.

Once the family's usually boring routine is complete, I might check to see if my favorite sports bar is running a turkey wing special for the late game.

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    There will be no shopping. I usually avoid shopping on T weekend like the plague. This year my kiddo has bought into an even more minimalist holiday than we normally have
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

My sister is coming in Monday from Dallas, so I'll be RJing about mid-day for lunch and margaritas We'll have dinner at my in-laws with extended family. After my wife's aunt passed away, her family now decamps at my in-laws. It's loud and raucous with that many people in a fairly small home.

My only regret is that there is no left-over turkey for sandwiches later in the weekend.

Friday my sister leaves and Mrs. G and I'll head over to Churchill Downs to play the ponies. The only shopping I'll be doing is for decent longshots.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm taking off Wed. to pick up my daughter at the airport. We'll go to Mass and a Thanksgiving party at church.

Thursday, I'm cooking; my mom and sister will join us. I'll head to a friend's house for the evening.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    No Friday shopping for me, since I'm ALL DONE except for stocking stuffers. bwahahahahaha......

Oh lord, I just remembered, that's a big football weekend, isn't it?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'll be flying out to San Diego to visit my sister and her family. I'll be meeting my folks there.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Taking the train back to Buffalo Wednesday night to arrive Thursday morning as I have a class Wednesday. The holiday doesn't fit in too well with my schedule and this being the end of the semester means I'll have to do some work over the holiday. Canadian Thanksgiving would have been more convenient but alas I'm not Canadian.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We are having a fairly small dinner. Hubby's parents are coming all the girls and their significant others. I think that RJ and ZG and the resident teen should just hop in a car and head this way and spend part of that weekend with us... Gas is at $1.55 up here.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Taking the train back to Buffalo Wednesday night to arrive Thursday morning as I have a class Wednesday.
    Assuming you are voyaging on the Lakeshore Limited. Plop your bod on a seat with a north view as you diesel eastward. When you blow through Wauseon, OH, you will see their quaint little downtown area, lining the tracks. Not long after Wauseon you will roar past a couple modern steel mills that look strangely out-of-place in farm fields. Next will be Delta, OH.....and no view of their downtown.

The train will rumble a bit to the north, crossing over a highway on the east edge of Delta. When the track straightens back out, pointing just about due east, it will move past a few miles of farmland before it enters Swanton, OH. Keep your eyes open for the quick glimpse of beautiful downtowen Swanton. Hub's Bar will be visible on the north side of the tracks.

If Katie and I are at Hub's we will wave as you rumble on by.

Have a good trip.

Bear

NIGHT OWL EDIT: Just browsed the Amtrak schedule. If I am reading it correctly you will roar past Hub's in the middle of the night. If I am still at Hub's, good chance I died on the sidewalk.
    Last edited by Bear Up North; 22 Nov 2008 at 8:44 PM. Reason: Amtrak
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yep, there's only one train a day from Chicago to Buffalo. Obviously I can't see much and theoretically I should be sleeping but I tend to have a hard time sleeping on trains. Sleeper cars are dreadfully expensive. I could have easily flown for the cost of one. I know I've seen Swanton when passing by on the interstate though.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hubby is running in the annual Turkey Trot race downtown, so we'll both be there early in the morning. Then it's back home to shower and change for a nice T-day meal at a local swanky watering hole. Then back to the house in time for him to watch the Cowboys play on the big screen.

This will be the first year since we started living together that we haven't done Thanksgiving with my parents (they live about 25 miles from us).
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Weds: Radio show taping to promote Tuba Christmas. Big Corp releases us early on days-before, so I'll "go to lunch" around 1 pm.

T-day: Detroit parade, with heavy metal. Hit sis's place on the way home for the traditional meal.

Black Friday: volunteering at my local humane society. Here's what happened last year:

After totaling adoption numbers, the Humane Society of Kent County declared their "Black Pet Friday" event their most successful promotion to date. ... reduced adoption fees on Friday for pets with black coats, who typically are passed over for adoptions in favor of lighter-colored animals. ...More than 300 people visited the shelter Friday looking for pets. ...In total, 61 pets were adopted that day including 31 cats, 26 dogs, 3 rabbits and 1 parakeet.

"Typically our big adoption events ... adopt around 40 pets" ....

Searching up that piece, I found several listings for other assns who've decided to cash in on the Black Friday frenzy. Locally, they ran out of black critters, and extended the offers on animals with that color anywhere on 'em. Nice.

And there's a contra dance in town that night.

Rest of the weekend: get ready for some home construction to commence Dec 1. My 24" stairs are being widened to 36"

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Bear & The Turkey

Gonna be a very quiet Thanksgiving Day at this Bear's place. Gone are the days when we would have 15-20 people, crowded as hexx, great puns being thrown around, football on the tube, political arguments mixed with the great gravy, and a steady parade of refrigerator-raiding a few hours after gobbling the goodies that we put on the (multiple) tables.

On tap.....Katie, Katie's sister, this Bear. Maybe Katie's son and his SO will stop over, to grab chow and run.

I still plan on being up between 4:00 AM and 5:00 AM, starting the goodies. Big turkey (cause we love'em-doze-leftovers ), the best damx stuffing in the whole world, and all the other fixin's. I do all the cooking and Katie does all the cleaning. She says that I am the sloppiest person she has ever encountered in a kitchen. I would have to agree. But I sure am a good cook.
    _____

I am taking vacation days on Wednesday and the Monday after the weekend, so it will be a nice break from the workplace. Katie's office is open on the day after Thanksgiving, so she has to work.

If I feel ambitious I will be ripping up an old floor (hallway upstairs) and putting-down a new floor. We shall see.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Lets see on:

Thur - dinner with wife's family, nephew is coming and will be the last time we see him before he ships out to Kuwait in December
    Fri - golf if it ain't too cold & dinner with group of friends (27 showed up last year)
    Sat - dinner with my aunt & uncle and family
    Sun - lie on sofa
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Tuesday: Driving up to Yorktown, VA to meet the parents for the last time on their boat. Fondue for dinner.

Wednesday: Checking out Williamsburg, Colonial Parkway and the site of the British surrender. Thai restaurant for dinner.

Thursday: Frying turkey for first time ever. Just got the fryer in the mail last week.

Friday: Visit downtown Norfolk.

Saturday: Drive back down to southeastern NC via the scenic coastal route.

Never did the shopping thing on Friday. Always found it to be rather tasteless. Of course, that could just be the frugal Yankee in me.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Wednesday evening I will be downtown bowling and looking at the floats as they begin to line up right outside of our bowling alley... hopefully I remember to take my camera this year.

Thursday morning I will be up bright and early to go run the Turkey Trot in downtown Detroit (for the 4th year in a row) and then home to the burbs with just enough time to rest for a few and shower and then off to Michigan's easternmost city for Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws.

Afterwards maybe off to go see a movie as I have done every Thanksgiving day for the past 10 years or so (and maybe a stop at my parents' house for a second dinner... or at least a second dessert before the movie).

For the rest of the weekend? Working a bit on a project for my environmental planning class and putting together the bibliography for my thesis paper.

No major shopping planned but I do enjoy going to the mall on the dreaded Black Friday to people watch (I can walk to a rather large mall from my house so no worries about fighting traffic).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Veloise, what a great idea for the pets! I wish I had a bigger place or I'd be taking in another animal.

I'm staying put for Thanksgiving. We visited MrTresmo's family two weeks ago and my parents are here for the week. We're having a co-worker join us, as he is new to the area and we didn't want him to sit in his hotel room all Thanksgiving day long. I'm looking forward to it. We even got the leaf for our dining table out to accomodate him!

I'm not sure about Friday, we'll probably do a little shopping but I'm not a person who rolls out of bed that early. I know I want to go to Target to get Forgetting Sarah Marshall for $9. That's about it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We are doing three t-day meals *so much for my waist line*

Thursday 3pm time with my family of choice
    Thursday 7pm time with his brothers in-laws. I will nod my head and smile as I don't speak Pampango but they seem to like me none the less. I will do my best to avoid the foods that might have seafood * they REALLY love their fish cheeks*.

Friday off to visit my grandmother for a few hours

Saturday get together with some friends for some down time

Sunday start organizing for the trip to Orlando
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Driving down to Aunt and Unlce's place in Denver for the day. Getting there early, heading back north at night.
    The wife is going shopping with our neighbor at 4am or something, I will invite the dogs in bed after she leaves and sleep.
    Then eat leftovers and watch some football.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Staying home with wife and kids. We're going to have our first "Tofurkey"

Saturday Mrs. B and I may go play a friendly game of low-stakes texas hold-em with one of my college buddies and his cousin.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My brother and new wife are hosting Thanksgiving in their new house in Milwaukee. So, I'm looking forward to that. Then the rest of the weekend I'll be on my own. My soon-to-be ex gets the girls that weekend, and will be taking them down to do the belated holiday thing with his family. But, I plan on making my alone time as productive as I can... by getting the tree up, doing what little shopping I have left, and giving the house a thorough cleaning.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahhh.....

Got me a 23 LB Turkey for 3 adults and two kids! Might be juuuuusssst enough for us this year
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 12:14 AM
  2. How Was Your Thanksgiving Weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 30 Nov 2004, 4:03 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 29 Nov 2004, 8:36 AM