Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tour bus & RV parking in downtown districts

Registered
    Aug 2002

Tour bus & RV parking in downtown districts

I'm trying to locate some case study examples of communities that have dealt successfully with the issue of tour bus and RV parking in their downtowns. Specifically, I want to know what kinds of guidelines, regulations, and/or physical improvements can be used to help tour bus operators and visitors in RVs travel to and from their destinations more efficiently... without having to take a taxi or a trolley from a parking lot way out on the edge of town.

What types of parking accommodations make the most sense for these uses? What about the dimensions of the lot(s)? How far is "too far" from a tour bus destination? What else should be considered in making a downtown district more user-friendly for the visitor arriving by bus or RV?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I don't know of any per se.... but my great uncle travels by RV alot and he visits us about once per year. He does alot of travelling in it. As far as what he needs to hook up his RV... an outlet. He can park his RV for the night as long as he has a power outlet to hook up to. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I thought I'd spew my 2 cents.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have often seen cities use drop-off points for tour buses. After the passengers get out, the bus is required to drive off to some remote location, and then return at a set time to pick people up. RV parking is difficult. They can easily take up 3-4 stalls, and when parking is limited, that can be a problem. RV's can also be a problem from the standpoint of safety, as they are hard to see around and may have difficulty maneuvering in tight, crowded places. My thought would be to provide RV designated RV parking in more distant locations, and encourage people to use a bus, taxi, bike, or walk to their destination.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    RV's are a different animal than tour buses. I think Cardinal has the tour bus nailed. I hate seeing them parked sucking up space with no one in them. RV's are varied so the choices for parking are too. Class A and bus conversions (think rockstars/Nascar) are pretty big, up to 45' long in most of the country but restricted to 40' in CA and maybe some other states. Many serious RV'ers have a tow vehicle so they stay in resorts (www.outdoor-resorts.com) or parks and being close isn't a problem. I don't see many advantages to allowing RV parking in anything other than a facility designed for their use.

(Sam's Law) There is a large contingency of RV folks that camp in Wal-Mart parking lots. Can you imagine seeing America armed with a map of Wal-Mart locations? Yikes!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    RV's are a different animal than tour buses. I think Cardinal has the tour bus nailed. I hate seeing them parked sucking up space with no one in them. RV's are varied so the choices for parking are too. Class A and bus conversions (think rockstars/Nascar) are pretty big, up to 45' long in most of the country but restricted to 40' in CA and maybe some other states. Many serious RV'ers have a tow vehicle so they stay in resorts (www.outdoor-resorts.com) or parks and being close isn't a problem. I don't see many advantages to allowing RV parking in anything other than a facility designed for their use.
    Most of the time when a visiting NFL team is staying overnight here in Appleton (they stay here when playing at Green Bay), a bus or two (and maybe John Madden's 'Outback Cruiser') is parked on a side street either along side or behind the hotel.

Usually it is no more than one or two of them and they are not really in anyone's way.

Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    (Sam's Law) There is a large contingency of RV folks that camp in Wal-Mart parking lots. Can you imagine seeing America armed with a map of Wal-Mart locations? Yikes!
    Wally*World actually includes street address listings of all of their stores in the backs of the Rand McNally Road Atli that they sell in their stores. W*M's theory is that if you let them park in the lot overnight, they'll very likely stop in to buy a few items before they leave in the morning.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2002
    OK, so maybe the RV parking idea isn't going to fly... but what about tour buses? I did find some designated tour bus parking areas on various city websites, but I am looking for guidelines to use.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Did you see this story about a proposed RV resort two blocks from New Orlean's French Quarter?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Downtown parking requirements
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Sep 2013, 12:59 PM
  2. Parking Downtown parking requirements
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Feb 2013, 2:16 PM
  3. Replies: 4