Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Photoshop contest: planning-related Magic the Gathering cards

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Photoshop contest: planning-related Magic the Gathering cards

Here's another attenpt at an old-school Photoshop contest - urban planning and Cyburbia-related Magic the Gathering cards! (Cards from any similar game will do as well.)

You can find blank templates for MTG cards at http://www.misetings.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7550. Examples of typical MTG cards are at http://www.magictrade.dk/kort.htm and http://magiccards.info/ .

Here's something to start things off.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have a few in mind, I'll try to do them tonight.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001

This is fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have a few more to work on, can't tell how my day went with these two.

Sorry about the quality, had to do a bit of cutting and pasting in various programs to get it to work

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001

Another entry!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

(We kid because we love you! )

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    As a side note - ESPN is taking on the Dale Earnhardt story in a movie titled "3". I liked Barry Pepper until this.
    http://espn.go.com/three/index.htm

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Obviously, since I am no longer, THANKFULLY, getting characterized like some butt-ugly beached whale and you are finally buying my utterly delusional self-image as a hottie.

I am enjoying this thread but I am unlikely to contribute any cards to it. I really liked Mastiff's card the best...well, until you posted this one.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 09 Nov 2004 at 7:27 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2001

I may go back and clean up the other two images, my adobe skills are a bit weak right now from lack of use.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I am enjoying this thread but I am unlikely to contribute any cards to it. I really liked Mastiff's card the best...well, until you posted this one.
    Hey MZ, the goddesses could be jealous that you got your own buxom card. On the other hand, if I had one, it would probably be one of the dwarves from LOTR!

P.S. No cards from me, no Photo Shop here.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Registered
    Aug 2001

Last edited by GeogPlanner; 09 Nov 2004 at 11:39 PM.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Hey MZ, the goddesses could be jealous that you got your own buxom card. On the other hand, if I had one, it would probably be one of the dwarves from LOTR!

P.S. No cards from me, no Photo Shop here.
    Off-topic:
    One of the dwarves? I thought you were a hobbit. You know, at the end of the third movie, the king bows to the hobbits and says "You bow to no man". Hobbits are Cool, saviors of the universe, etc.(PS How did your Defender of the Neighborhood catsuit and cape costume go over for Halloween? )

Oh, and, apparently, all you have to do to get that kind of attention around here is post photos of you in a bikini and the guys don't seem to notice that they are 22 years old and you don't look like that anymore.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I had a Kunstler card planned, too!

Raise righteous indignation and nitpicking ability 200% for every building you see within a 20 mile radius. Increase profanity use by 300%.
    "The diagonal tension braces are obviously a clusterfuck of fake and gratuitious elements that do little more than provide visual noise."

Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    "Problem ... we have a Houston!
    Best. Quote. Ever.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Happens in even the best of city's, like Berlin, DE!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magic Card 3.jpg  
    Last edited by Duke Of Dystopia; 10 Nov 2004 at 3:24 AM.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think I may have to bring a set of Planning: The Charette with me to National for a little drunken game. Think we can get that into the program? Who's in?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 1998
    These should be compiled into a real set of cards and sold at the APA conferences. They would sell much better than the PAS reports.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes Yes Yes

Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    These should be compiled into a real set of cards and sold at the APA conferences. They would sell much better than the PAS reports.
    That's the best idea EVER.. ...Put the Cyburbia name on them and wait for the cash to FLOW like the NILE$$$.... Just put some of that cash into a reserve for the copyright infringements and lawsuits surely to be filed by Wizards of the Coast....or whoever does Magic.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2003
    It would really be a fun collective project. Sort of like the newby FAQ.

I know some people to help build game mechanics for a new game. So no copyright infringement. No copyright on CCG's, and this would obviously be different.

Game mechanics are easy, what we want the goal to be in order to play the game and set the tone is the hard part.

I'm in!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

Wow, Cyburbian Magic the Gathering cards...if I had your photoshop skills, there'd be all sorts of trolls, nymphs, dwarves and other fantastic Cyburbians I could think up .....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia

I know some people to help build game mechanics for a new game. So no copyright infringement. No copyright on CCG's, and this would obviously be different.

Game mechanics are easy, what we want the goal to be in order to play the game and set the tone is the hard part.

I'm in!
    Sounds fun to me. Let's see... people we will need to immortalize...

Robert Moses
    Jane Jacobs
    Daniel Burnham
    Ian McHarg
    Saul Alinsky
    Andres Duany & Elizabeth Plater-Zybeck
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    John Nolan
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Would we play with cards of Cyburbians or things cards like NIMBY and Kunstler...or do we mix it all up?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Goals, Objectives and Policy.....

Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia

I'm in!
    Goals: To successfully navigate your planner (one of 6 types?) through the morass of legal, neighborhood, citizen activists, procedural and technical road blocks....

Objective: To reach the conclusion of a planning project with the fewest remaining issues (least amount of stuff stuck to your project)?

Policy: Your Fired Cards, Administrative Leave, Assistance Cards from various specialties in planning, engineering, architecture, landscape.....also hinderance or obstructionist cards similar to those above....Dilemma cards that make you choose a path (ethics based?).....

Planner Types:
    Tree Hugging Environmental Planner (+3 when teamed with Landscape Arch)
    The Processor (+5 to ability to slow project by 6 months)
    The Transportation Geek (-3 for confusion to citizens and +1 w/engineer)
    The Pro-Builder (+8 when also director, -4 for argument w/Tree Hugging Planner)
    The When the Hell do I Retire Guy (-1 for doesn't really care)
    The Lifer (-2 for agrees with everything said by superior, +2 w/processor)
    The Elitist (-7 no one likes a smart ass, +9 always has the correct answer, +3 surrogate attorney, +3 attorney favorite)
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Most of the CCG games seem to be mixing a "build your own while destroying the other guy" set up that includes amassing points.

Play area could start as "Rural Area".

Card layout could be in such a format as this picture.

The goal, maintain a positive standard of living and quality of life while driving the standard of living and quality of life down to intollerable standards in the rival city.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Planner Card layout.psd.jpg  

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Planner Types:
    Tree Hugging Environmental Planner (+3 when teamed with Landscape Arch)
    The Processor (+5 to ability to slow project by 6 months)
    The Transportation Geek (-3 for confusion to citizens and +1 w/engineer)
    The Pro-Builder (+8 when also director, -4 for argument w/Tree Hugging Planner)
    The When the Hell do I Retire Guy (-1 for doesn't really care)
    The Lifer (-2 for agrees with everything said by superior, +2 w/processor)
    The Elitist (-7 no one likes a smart ass, +9 always has the correct answer, +3 surrogate attorney, +3 attorney favorite)
    You need an Eco-terrorist. Now, If I had been an eco-terrorist (ie if I hadn't married a super-conservative guy at age 19 and had kids...), I would have come up with some "tree spiking" equivalent for attacking golf courses, especially those in deserts.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 12:11 AM
  2. Photoshop contest: Ryugyong Hotel
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 21 Oct 2006, 6:33 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 14 Sep 2004, 9:30 PM
  4. Replies: 20