Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Trophy Case

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Trophy Case

Imagine that you have just entered the Cyburbia Building. As you walk down the tiled hall you notice that both sides of this hall are lined with trophy cases. What kind of trophys are in those cases?

Perhaps sports trophys. Maybe debate team trophys. Or an award your employer or a group bestowed upon you. The trophy might just be a nice memory of something you did well and somebody acknowledged it.

Let's take a look at what I see so far.....

Bear pitched a no-hitter in the Lincolnshire Little League All-Star Game, back in about 1960. My baseball career plummeted after that.

In a Creative Writing class in my junior year of high school our first assignment was to write a story that included a hammer, a honing tool, and a chisel. The next day, the teacher started off the class by saying that everybody in the class wrote their stories centering around people who would use those tools and how those tools worked. She then read out loud my submission, which was basically two (2) men talking, sitting on a bench in Vienna, after nuclear war had destroyed most of the world. They were waiting to die from radiation sickness and within the contents of their sentences, I used the tools mentioned. The class clapped for five (5) minutes and I was stuck on writing (like Band-Aids are stuck on you) for there everafter.

In the mid-1970's this Bear won first place in The (Toledo) Blade's Annual Poetry Contest. It was a small amount of mula and a ton of chicks-dig-poetry exposure.

Sorry to say, no trophies for my basketball career or my running career. Do trophy wives count?

Whats in your trophy case?

Nolan Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My trophy case contains the following

2 Awards for managment and promotion of the sport of cycling. one year they even gave me a trophy.

1 bronze medal from provincial cycling championships, circa 1990

1 baseball trophy, circa 1984

Ribbons from the fall fair.(1979-1984)

The ones I am most proud of are the cycling ones, especially after this year when my hard work from 3 years ago is paying off with more athletes on the national team and more medals at national championships.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Community Beautification award from the Chamber of Commerce for my Eagle Scout service project.

All-State band my senior year in high school.

City Junior Bowling champ (under 14)

2nd place individual medley state junior swim meet
    3rd place breaststroke state junior swim meet
    2nd place butterfly state junior swim meet
    (damn high school I moved to didn't have swim team... bastards... )

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My first trophy was for making an all-tourney basketball team in 8th grade. Since then, various dust collectors for baseball, basketball, track, coaching/managing little league, and softball. The largest trophy was for winning the coed county-employee league softball championship (I managed a team of a bunch of geek planners). All are packed in a box somewhere in north Idaho (or maybe in a landfill by this point).
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Latin Award my senior year of high school
    Highest GRE ever for application to MPA program at Univ of S FL (well, at the time, anyway)
    More time spent in front of BCC than any other county employee
    Coached #1 team in son's soccer league last spring
    Won poetry contest senior year in high school
    Won poetry contest for brother in his senior year of high school (the boy was not a writer...)
    Had 5th grade art project entered in Winter Park Art Show
    Highest placed underclassperson (in college history) in Latin program in freshman year at college
    Shortest person in high school class
    Fastest "speed-reader" in school (grades 6-12) while in 8th grade
    (of course, some of these did not result in actual awards/trophies, they're just informal distinctions)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I earned a second place trophy in arm wrestling in the 80's
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Colorado State Parks Award for Outstanding Special Program (Aspen Leaf shaped)
    Eagle Scout Medal / Patch
    Fire Dept Badge and Patch (collector items -- dept changed logos)
    State Certificates for being qualified as a Firefighter II and EMT-B
    HS Varsity Letter for Cross Country
    AICP
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    In fifth grade, I won a coloring contest - the prize was a biography of JFK. Funny, the book was at a level much higher than grade 5/6/7.

A fews years ago, I was chosen to be Citizen of the Year because I wrote (and was awarded) a $20,000 grant for a park project. It was ironic because Council belittled our (rec board) work on other projects and humiliated us at a public meeting. I chose to resign and devote my time to different causes, and the honor was awarded months after I resigned.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    In fifth grade, I won a poster contest and won a scientific calculator. Woo-hoo.

I won a youth triathalon was on a team that won a European soccer championship as a kid. I've got a handful of fantasy football and baseball trophies. And of course, I'd be in there... as I remind my wife often that I am her trophy husband.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    In fourth grade a painting of mine won the county art contest and was displayed in the state capitol building.

I was Employee of the Year at a university I worked for in the early 90s.

Everything else is academic related...
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

John J. Gunther Blue Ribbon Best Practices award from USDHUD for the Citizen Planner training program I developed. Awarded in Houston, Tx. In July. What were they thinking?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    My case has a:

Medal (which every participant got) completing a New Years Day 5 K fun run
    1st place (in my age group) trophy for a 5K run
    1st place trophy for my AYSO team winning a soccer tournment
    A Blue Ribbon for AYSO Soccer
    A certificate for runner up in H.S. Diving championship
    A poster and money clip I got for suriving mulitiple activities at a adult club on my bachlor party (so I told)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No trophies. Not that I haven't had personal accomplishments but they haven't been the trophy kind.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    No trophies. Not that I haven't had personal accomplishments but they haven't been the trophy kind.
    In that case, I suggest you fashion one out of aluminum foil and duct tape... put it on your desk and call it your trophy for being an Good Citzen of Cyburbia.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    2 trophies from women's league softball (circa 1987?)
    1 bowling trophy (from 6th grade!)
    City Councilmember plaque
    Election Certificate
    Highest Academic Achievement Award (MRCPL)
    the one I am most proud of: The Best Aunt certificate/painting from my niece (4 yrs) and nephew (soon to be 3).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think my brain has gone to mush today, because I'm having a hard time thinking of stuff...

Bank of America Award in Science & Mathmatics presented at HS grad. Honour roll forever in HS (graduated with a 4.2 gpa... nerd! 8-| ) Lettered in orchestra, debate and journalism (we were a geek school and didn't have many sports teams, so our letter jackets were given out for geek stuff too). Have a few pins/ribbons in downhill skiing from when I was 12 or so (2nd place was best I think). I've had poetry accepted to various amateur publications... I have also received a few internal awards for working on committees in various municipalities.

Oh yeah, and... I was voted 'prettiest eyes' by my grad class in 12th grade. I had the oversized, novelty sunglasses for awhile that came with the award... but those are in some landfill now or at goodwill or something.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Last week I got a certificate for being a "Charter Member" of AICP...thanks for reminding me.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Not Much

I got a second place trophy in a basketball shooting contest in high school
    Lettered in Basketball in High School
    First Place Trophy in Junior High Basketball tournement
    All the others are in my mind......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Let's see:
    State Alternate for Journalism, Governor's Honors Program
    Highest GPA in French 1 in high school (something like 106 because I got 100's on everything AND got all the extra credit points, usually).
    STAR Student (highest SAT scores of my graduating class and top 10% GPA)
    National Merit Scholarship Winner
    Inducted into Mu Alpha Theta at age 16 in 11th grade (the earliest you can be)
    Honored for having one of the top 3 GPA's at my college for history majors at the sophomore level.
    I won some silly dance contest in 8th grade.
    Won a bet with a professor when I corrected his math mistake on the board and it must have taken him 20 minutes to realize that I was right.
    I have some nice pat-on-the-head type award from the military for my volunteer work with the Army Family Support Groups.
    I have had other nice warm-fuzzies from other places I have done volunteer work.
    For years, my kids gave me totally imaginary "certificates of achievement" when I managed to NOT swear like a sailor every sentence. I think I got one when they noticed me pause mid-sentence to find a substitute word for my usual foul vocabulary. I must have hundreds (or thousands) of these certificates. They need a trophy case all their own. Heck, we could wall-paper the hallway with them.

Well, that is all I can think of -- unless I start making up some in the tradition of ZG and her notable achievements. Then I would also have awards like "Most obnoxious and loathed STAR student ever -- an embarrassment to my school, who didn't want me to represent them" and "Class Clown Extraordinaire who would have been put on Inner School Suspension a few times but doing so to their STAR student would have been a further embarrassment to the school" and, um, one of those nifty-keen homemade aluminum foil and duct-tape awards which says "OTHER Mommie" and is a tribute to what my niece called me when she was really little.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Jul 2013, 11:55 AM
  2. Ever have a case of Schadenfreude ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 14 Jun 2007, 3:40 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Aug 2004, 11:57 AM
  4. In case you're wondering...
    Friday Afternoon Club