Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: RLUIPA

Registered
    Jan 2006

RLUIPA

Piggybacking on a previous thread about schools, how does your jurisdiction handle the development or enlargement of religious institutions? Are they required to go through an architectural review process? Do they have to meet the same performance standards? Are they required to meet landscaping criteria? And any other comments on how this delicate issue is approached.

For me, I was told to tread very lightly, and at the first sign of any disagreement the City Attorney gets involved.

Quote Originally posted by transguy View post
    Piggybacking on a previous thread about schools, how does your jurisdiction handle the development or enlargement of religious institutions? Are they required to go through an architectural review process? Do they have to meet the same performance standards? Are they required to meet landscaping criteria? And any other comments on how this delicate issue is approached.

For me, I was told to tread very lightly, and at the first sign of any disagreement the City Attorney gets involved.
    That's sound advise. Technical, building related requirements are normally ok. Use and architecture-related questions are what get you into trouble. Also have the church appoint a go-to person that can answer the questions and make the changes that are necessary. Finally, being clear and willing to work with them. Keep in mind, most churches have a bit of a chip on their shoulder when working with government. Good luck and keep the attorney on speed dial.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. RLUIPA and rectory houses
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 May 2010, 11:57 AM
  2. RLUIPA question
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Mar 2009, 10:38 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Dec 2006, 8:35 AM