Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Saving Private Ryan

My local ABC affiliate was one of 20 that refused to air Saving Private Ryan last night, deeming it likely to lead to FCC fines because it was beginning during the "family hour". We had Hoosiers instead: a fine flick indeed, but not Armistice Day fare.

The opening 20+ minutes of Ryan is indeed intense, graphic, bloody and violent. It is also perhaps the best depiction of one of the greatest days in our nation's history. It is not gratuitous. It should have aired here.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    My local ABC affiliate was one of 20 that refused to air Saving Private Ryan last night, deeming it likely to lead to FCC fines because it was beginning during the "family hour". We had Hoosiers instead: a fine flick indeed, but not Armistice Day fare.

The opening 20+ minutes of Ryan is indeed intense, graphic, bloody and violent. It is also perhaps the best depiction of one of the greatest days in our nation's history. It is not gratuitous. It should have aired here.
    They aired it on the Denver affiliate, but I missed it <ZMan kicks the ground>
    I did hear this morning about people and TV stations complaining. It seems the American public would like to further push reality out of their minds and live in a fantasy world of good, clean family fun/crime investigation/medical crime investigation/or reality that really isn't real.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Honestly, family hour really isn't family hour anymore. I'd much rather have gratuitous violence on the TV at 8PM than gratuitous sex discussions on the TV at 8PM. Now I'm all about gratuitous sex, just not until after the kids go down.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Gedunker -- What's with our ABC affiliates, ours is also in Kentucky.
    But at least they showed Saving Private Ryan .
    Yeah, when NYPD Blue started they didn't air the show for the first season (even perhaps the second, I don't recall because I'm not really a fan). The point being, hey "Louisville, So. Indiana, we're going to be paternalistic and decide what you can and can't see". Back home in NJ they'd have a fit if WABC did something like that, don't you agree?
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker

Utah aired it. Go figure. One of the best movies ever made. Should be required for all to see.

Now one of the major networks refuses to show SNL. I think UPN picks it up.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Love Saving Private Ryan . It is just so sad Tom Hanks had to die to save Matt Damon and France.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Jul 2013, 11:07 AM
  2. Saving materials for AICP CM audit
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 19 Nov 2009, 2:52 PM
  3. Saving a suburb
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8