Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Digital Cameras

Nov 2003
    at Babies R Us or Home Depot

Digital Cameras

I'm going to be in the market soon to finally buy a digital camera. Is there a digital camera where I can switch between color and B/W with the flick of a switch without spending truckloads of money.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Jul 2003
    Who cares.
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I'm going to be in the market soon to finally buy a digital camera. Is there a digital camera where I can switch between color and B/W with the flick of a switch without spending truckloads of money.
    Most of them can do that anymore, and also do sepia, color heightening/vivid colors, and other effects. What capabilities are you looking for? Are you planning on enlarging any photos? The more megapixels, the more expensive, but the sharper your photos can be. I've gotten decent results (5x7 at most) from a 1.2 megapixel camera, and much better results (8x10 and up) from a 5-megapixel camera, but there is quite a difference in price.
    I don't dream. I plan.

May 2003
    City of Low Low Wages!
    Well, most cameras can do a variety of effects, but you generally can only get at them through an onscreen menu system. Cameras with buttons for all that are a lot more expensive.

But really, you can turn a color photo into a black and white photo with an image editor by desaturating it. And you can do all of those other effects -- usually with a lot more quality than you can get out of the logic in the camera.

Feb 2003
    Encroaching on something
    As others have answered, many digitals will allow you to shoot b/w. I am most familiar with Nikon, since we only own them and I have played with all of the digitals, I do recommend the Coolpix because it is very easy to use, it has scene assist, b/w, and a ton of other things. (If my mom can use it without any instructions, what more can I say?) Plus, they have been tossed around by a very small person and have survived. And I am not talking about ZG tossing them around.

Nov 2004
    Not Cliff Island, Maine :(
    My two cents on the digital cameras we've used...

We've used two different Kodaks and two different Canons. The Canons have been far and away better than the Kodaks. Our Kodak cameras are little more than expensive paperweights, and despite Kodak's recommendation to sell them on ebay... the cameras still sit collecting dust in out A/V closet. If we were going to purchase another camera... it would probably be a Canon.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

May 2004
    The other Inland Empire
    I own a Canon S410 and would buy another in a heartbeat. It has plenty of features to keep me interested and I don't think I'll be growing out of it too soon. An excellent value for the money. I think it's down to around $250 now. 4.1 megapixels. In two clicks of a button I can get to numerous effect settings (color/sepia/b&w/vivid). Comes with some good software for stiching together panoramas too.

For a review go here

Jul 2002
    In the bike lane
    The wife and I just bought a Konica/Minolta DiMAGE X50 this weekend and it is awesone.

5.0 mega pixals,
    2.8x optical zoom
    easy to switch from B&W and sepia
    and ULTRA FAST turn on time.

Check the turn on time, come cameras it takes forever. We paid a little more than we wanted but with 5.0 mega pixals we will have the camera for a long time. I'd recommend it .

We just bought a Kodak EasyShare DX6490 and are very pleased with our purchase:

4 Megapixels
    10x Optical Zoom
    3x Digital Zoom
    Shutter speeds running from 1/1700 sec to 16 sec
    It also includes a neck strap, lens cap, rechargeable battery with a charging unit, the best thing is that you should be able to pick one up for under $400.00.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Feb 2002
    We just bought a Kodak DC 7630 and have been very happy with it. We bought it in Sept. for $367 at circuit city (other places it was $399), and now I see it on the Kodak website for $349.95.

6.1 MP
    3X Optical Zoom 4x Digital Zoom
    22 scene and color modes
    2.2" high-resolution indoor/outdoor display

Like jestes, it includes the wrist strap, battery (EASYSHARE Li-ion (1700 mAh) Rechargeable Battery), charger, usb ports

This website really helped me out:
    You go through and choose what type of options you want, and what priority for each one, and then it makes recommendations.

Nov 2002
    Paris of Appalachia
    Intersting thread. I wish I had seen it before this morning because I spent yesterday afternoon out shopping for a digital camera.

The wife recieved her first paying interior designer commission on Saturday and informed me that she would need a new camera before her first meeting at the clients home this week. We went around town comparing price and options and had it narrowed down between the 4 MP Nikon coolpix 4100 and the 5.1 MP HP PhotoSmart R707. Even though I had grown up using Nikon film cameras and have always been impressed with their quality, we ended up purchasing the HP. With the HP we were able to get one more MP, 24X zoom, and the battery charger included for just over $50.00 more than the Nikon. Not a bad decision I hope.

Now I just have to figure out how to use the thing.

Jul 1998
    On the Mother River
    I don't like the Kodak I have, because it needs it's own software. I have a Sony at work and WXP treats it like a disk drive.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Oct 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have been eyeing Sony's DSC-T1 (super-slim instant on) but I am worried about the image quality from such small camera and it only has an LCD no view-finder. I use the viewfinder on our current Sony alot because the LCD is hard to see.

Mar 2004
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Blog entries

OLYMPUS or Ricoh

You can't go wrong with either of these brands......and the olympus is what I have now....very nice indeed.....Ricoh was a bit expensive, but higher quality can be expected.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GPS cameras and use in planning
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Jun 2009, 11:29 AM
  2. Anyone still use film cameras?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 16 Dec 2008, 5:00 AM
  3. Replies: 34