Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: El Guapo-please return soon

El Guapo-please return soon

I think El Guapo is still hung over after celebrating Bush's victory.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [mod hat off]

I think everyone can lay off the "EG PLEASE COME BACK" crap. It aint gonna work. He'll come back when he damned well feels like it, if ever. Knowing EG as well as I do, I beleive if he saw all of these lame signature line pleas, he'd regress further from the idea of returning.

[/mod hat off]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Oh well... if lame is showing your appreciation to some one.. blame me for starting it...

I'm merely advocating for a balanced and respectful forum, where members don't leave over politic issues.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    On most bulletin boards, when a user publically announces their intent to leave, they become the object of some ridicule; "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" and the like. The fact that this hasn't happened to EG -- in fact, quite the opposite -- is evidence that he was a valued, respected and even loved part of our virtual community.

This forum has gotten ugly in recent weeks. Liberals and conservatives should not be hesitant to speak out and express their ideas, but they should also respect the ideas of those that don't share all their opinions. Yes, there are limits; we don't have to respect tinfoil hat thoeries, racism, or other extremist policies.

There is a lot of frustration among liberals, wondering why someone would vote for Bush, and now in doubt over the future of our nation now that its inherent system of checks and balances has been comprimised. In the planning profession, there is a disproportionately large number of liberal-thinking people. EG is NOT a dittohead. EG has been a voice of reason for the moderate Republican POV, but he got lumped in with the kneejerk radical right; the folks that call Rush and blame 9-11 on Hillary Clinton and the ACLU. Personal attacks took place, they weren't properly moderated, and the result is that we lost one of this community's most valued members.

Some Republicans here handled the re-election of W with class. A few gloated; and one user seemingly returned from the dead just to do that. I can't speak for EG, but I suspect that if he were still here, he would be above the gloating, reassuring us on the left that things will be all right in the end. He probably wouldn't gloat. How many of us would do the same thing if Kerry won?

The sig lines, IMHO, aren't lame. They're evidence of just how much EG meant to us.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Amen, Dan, Amen...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    There is a lot of frustration among liberals, wondering why someone would vote for Bush, and now in doubt over the future of our nation now that its inherent system of checks and balances has been comprimised.
    It has?

Anyway, I'm not exactly a regular here but having been driven out of town on other forums, as EG felt he was here, I can empathize with his situation.

The sig lines are patronizing. It's like when you were younger and you'd become emotional during an argument with your parents and storm off. They'd start harping on you, "Don't be mad.. Come on, we still love you." That may be the case, but their love would have been better expressed by respecting your views, not marginalizing them and then instinctually seeking repentance because you got upset. Of course you eventually forgave your parents, but the chip never left your shoulder. I suspect the same will be true for El Guapo. Let him return on his own time.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I am sorry that eG felt he had to leave.
    I just wish he waited at least until after Veteran's Day because he had earned being honored that day.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    EG, if you're lurking, you should know that my sig line is not intended to patronize. I think you know me well enough to think that.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We all have our political and social views and most of us express them. EG voiced his views. Plain and simple.

I miss his comedy. So combo South Park / Monty Python.

Limping Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    EG, if you're lurking, you should know that my sig line is not intended to patronize. I think you know me well enough to think that.
    Hey if he is not lurking he must be going through some serious withdrawls!!!
    How would you suppose those manifest themselves in the serious Cyburbinite?
    It must be ugly...

Anyway, when he does lurk he will see that we miss him, nuff said.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A handful of posters have become very personal in their attack posts. That has never been the culture of Cyburbia.

I don't think my sig line is patronizing. EG leaving (hopefully just taking a break) is MY loss. I want him to come back for all of the pleasure I get from his posts. He is a big part of what makes Cyburbia what it is. I don't want to get sappy, but I would not vote him off the island.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    I hope he will come back soon. He was one of the few on here that I agreed with when it came to politics.

That and he is a great resource for information about planning, bikes, and life.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    If e.G. thinks my Toys for Guns tag line is patronizing, then I challenge him to a duel!!! High noon, no auto-matics .
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Yeah Guap is a great resource for the site, not to eulogize or anything but.. I appreciate his political/social voice. As well where the hell is MZ, she hasn't been around for the whole election blow out?? I like both of these people.

Edit: I found MZ

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    A handful of posters have become very personal in their attack posts. That has never been the culture of Cyburbia.
    Although I use Cardinal's quote this is not directed to him, but rather in general...

Unfortunately, I am probably in that handful that he is referring to. I never have attacked EG, nor plan to, but I have gotten into it with some others lately. I have been around for almost 2 years now, and try to play nice, but often joke around...maybe sometimes too much. Maybe the jokes are not always clear and lead into wars… that is not my desired outcome... but yet unfortunately sometimes is the outcome.

I do not desire to personally attack anybody or have any bad blood with anyone, but will not sit idle if I am personally attacked. I don’t apologize for that either. This is not an apology, rather an explanation.

I am far from perfect, but I have never felt like I was an aggressive attacker, rather the counter-attacker. Call me whatever, but I do not believe in being passive. I like to play nice and I can take a joke, but I refuse to sit back and watch people personally attack me or relentlessly attack the South (and if you maliciously attack the South you are personally attacking me). It is not that it is hurting my feelings; it is that it is ticking me off. If you want to discuss any controversial issue, fine. But, if people keep personally attacking and talking in condescending ways, that is not fine.

That being said. And though it is all OT to EG, I do hope to see him back. Additionally, I hope that he does not find my sig line patronizing either, because it is not meant to be. He and I don’t converse a lot but he is definitively an asset to this community in my humble opinion (even though he is not from the South ).
    Last edited by H; 04 Nov 2004 at 11:55 PM.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    As well where the hell is MZ, she hasn't been around for the whole election blow out??

Edit: I found MZ
    Off-topic:

According to her agent: MZ really is not terribly fond of politics and often does not participate in such discussions. Due to the elections, a high number of threads this week have been about politics and many of them have had quite a lot of conflict in them, something else that MZ is really not fond of and usually tries to avoid. Additionally, her publicist did discretely announce that she was in the ER on Sunday and narrowly avoided coming down with pneumonia. I have it on good authority that her days have been spent sleeping, followed by resting, napping, TV watching and, occasionally, consuming a smidgeon of food but mostly so that the drugs would sit better on her stomach.

But thank you for your interest.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 05 Nov 2004 at 3:00 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Although I use Cardinal's quote this is not directed to him, but rather in general...

Unfortunately, I am probably in that handful that he is referring to.
    No, H, you are not one of those people. Not only are you one of the few southern people who knows how to write but you also typically respond intelligently by addressing the issue and not the person.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    There is a lot of frustration among liberals, wondering why someone would vote for Bush, and now in doubt over the future of our nation now that its inherent system of checks and balances has been comprimised. In the planning profession, there is a disproportionately large number of liberal-thinking people. EG is NOT a dittohead. EG has been a voice of reason for the moderate Republican POV, but he got lumped in with the kneejerk radical right; the folks that call Rush and blame 9-11 on Hillary Clinton and the ACLU. Personal attacks took place, they weren't properly moderated, and the result is that we lost one of this community's most valued members.

Some Republicans here handled the re-election of W with class. A few gloated; and one seemingly returned from the dead just to do that. I can't speak for EG, but I suspect that if he were still here, he would be above the gloating, reassuring us on the left that things will be all right in the end. He probably wouldn't gloat. How many of us would do the same thing if Kerry won?
    As you are likely all aware by now, I am definitely not one of the resident liberals. However, I consider myself to be more of a libertarian than a true 'conservative' and I enjoy digging up as many sides as I can of every story. I also look at things with a strong logical 'cause/effect' line, using my knowledge and intuition to think things through before forming an opinion.

That said, I most definitely supported GWB in this election. My #1 issue was foreign affairs and in my mind, and with my knowledge of history and human geography, the thoughts of a GWB loss scared the bejeevers out of me. I also fully agreed with GWB on domestic issues relating to meaningfull civil liability tort reform as well as the real need for radical reform of our stifling Federal tax system. These are things that are, IMHO, critical to the long-tern economic health of our nation and with GWB winning and his party gaining seats in both houses of Congress, I am now more optimistic than I have ever been that these important issues will be addressed.

I was highly distressed at the level of true, pure hatred that this year's campaign brought up and I strived as hard as I could to not get caught up in any of it. I am saddened to see that EG did find himself embroiled in it and I do hope that he can overcome it.

I am not one to gloat and I resolved to myself to do ALL of my gloating (actually closer to celebrating) on Tuesday night and all day on Wednesday, keeping it as tastefull and intelligent as possible (my posting in another thread about playing the first verse of Massachusetts by the Bee Gees over and over again is about the limit of it) and then moving on with life, with predjudice towards and against nobody.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Reflections amplify
    Differences become greater
    Splinters become halves
    Halves become solid blocks

Distorted and amplified reflections become intolerable
    Lost Reason becomes a position on the block
    Solid form distorts the block and becomes distatefull
    Distaste blocks reasons and the engines of distruction aproach

Wheather EG is hear or not, the balance has changed irevocably barring great disaster.
    Everyone knows it
    The fear of being crushed by the past is ever present.
    Fear has triumphed

Will those with the power extend thier olive branch or bring the new dark age?
    Questions abound
    It's not EG in specific
    Its the alternative with which one sides on which block.

Offender because I am not a fence sitter.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Maybe we sound lame but we miss EG. I hope he comes back. Maybe that's stupid and unrealistic. Oh well.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Hi. Sorry for being an idiot. I needed a break. More info here: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14501

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome back. It's good to see you again. Have a on me. BTW, you ain't no idiot.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    EG, so GOOOOD so see you back! We missed you.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You probably have earned a secret santa gift from all of us. donk, where the fvck are you?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Hi. Sorry for being an idiot. I needed a break. More info here: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14501
    Haysoos F-ing X-mas, now will the rest of yoos quit the EG come back crap?!?!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Return to Forum
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 Sep 2007, 3:02 AM
  2. Can one return?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Apr 2006, 1:20 AM
  3. A return to lunacy...
    Introduce Yourself