Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: internships for the inexperienced?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004

internships for the inexperienced?

hey,

i'd really like to get a job or internship related to urban planning/sustainability/land-use planning etc, to prepare for graduate school...but i'm a recent English B.A. with little practical or academic experience with urban planning...how difficult is it to find a good internship or job? according to the research i've done on the internet, it doesn't really look too promising.

i'm also really interested in an internship or job abroad related to the field...in latin america or an English-speaking country that is not the U.S....is this basically a pipe dream?

thanks for your help.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    You might try sliding in with a local government as a permit clerk or something like that. Then maybe you can absorb some stuff by observing other people in the department.

There are several universities that do an excellent job with their study abroad programs, so they might have connections for getting jobs in those countries as well. Most decent planning programs have good internship connections, though it sounds like you are trying to find something before starting grad school. Pepperdine, though it's expensive and don't know if it has a planning program, comes to mind. If you are looking for a Latin American emphasis, I would strongly recommend the program at the University of Texas (I think they have a program that focuses on Latin American planning).

a little difficult: yes.
    pipe dream: no.

I hope that was helpful.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Internships
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Aug 2009, 6:47 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 5:44 PM
  3. Internships
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 9:05 PM