Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning Text Books

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Planning Text Books

Does anyone know of any good places to find planning text books cheep?

One of them I am looking for is "Community Planning" by Eric Damian Kelly and
    Barbara Becker.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Get to know someone a year ahead of you and buy textbooks off of them when they finish. It doesn't always work, but I have managed to avoid buying the most expensive textbooks. You can even put up flyers offering to pay 20% more than the bookstore "buyback price" to attract people. Also, just because a new edition comes out doesn't mean there is anything new in it. Check with the professor and see if you can use an older edition (note: make sure the prof is not the author before you ask this).

You can shop around on Amazon and sometimes find a good deal on a used text book.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I'd check out bookfinder.com and overstock.com. I found a new copy of The City in History for only 16 beans!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Amazon.com has pretty much any book I've ever needed either new or used for cheap.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    yeah I get most of mine at the school bookstore, those I can't get... amazon is the best way to go.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    The only one I have is "Planning in the USA: policies, issues, and processes" by Cullingworth and Caves. It seems to be very broad and more of an intro to planning book.

Although not a textbook per se, "How Cities Work" by Alex Marshall is a great little book that focuses more on community development and really reams disney.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I used to use Varsitybooks.com but stopped when they made it too much of a pain to change...something er other. I think they denied my credit card because I moved and so the address "didn't match" and they made it very not worth my while to figure out how to fix the problem. Something like that. However, before that, I liked the service and prices and frequently got used books through them. They were the perfect college bookstore for an online student.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Dec 2011, 6:08 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 1:46 PM
  3. Planning history books
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 11:03 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Apr 2005, 7:35 PM