Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

For my b'day, I got a book that contains all the Hitchiker's stories in it. I originally read them about 20 years ago and it's been a blast rereading them. Though the parts about bureaucracy hit a little too close to home . So, are there any other Hitchiker's fans out there?

Last edited by Whose Yur Planner; 16 Nov 2004 at 1:53 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2004

A long time ago...in a galaxy far far away....

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    For my b'day, I got a book that contains all the Hitchiker's stories in it. I originally read them about 20 years ago and it's been a blast rereading them. Though the parts about bureaucracy hit a little too close to home . So, are there any other Hitchiker's fans out there?
    Yes, but hardly remember much and would like to listen to them on tape.....w/Adams reading....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    "Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

(from memory, may not be exact).
    In HS, my friends and I would have entire conversations using quotes from these books. Yes, we were huge geeks. But it was HS. Found my old copy the other night, in fact, and was meaning to re-read it.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    "Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

(from memory, may not be exact).
    In HS, my friends and I would have entire conversations using quotes from these books. Yes, we were huge geeks. But it was HS. Found my old copy the other night, in fact, and was meaning to re-read it.
    Well, you were in good company. As for rereading it, go ahead. It's just as funny as it was back then.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Love the series, and am hopeful that the movie currently in production will be good.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Love the series, and am hopeful that the movie currently in production will be good.
    Somewhere in storage I have the original TV series on videotape. It was very campy.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    dont forget your towel!!

and the answer is 42
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    and the answer is 42
    Well, we knew the answer all along. The real mystery is what is the question? That came much later.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Another fan here.

I particularly like Adams' use of simile
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2003

They Only Get Better With Age!

I should buy a new copy myself; mine's mighty beat from repeated and extended reads.

...if I met Adams in person, about the only thing I could say would be "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Loved that show. I also have the book with all the stories. Haven't got through all of them yet. I also recommend Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency . It is a hoot.

In one of my planning classes the prof had me read the section of Hitchhiker's . . . about Dent going down to the planning office about the demolition of his house. Classic.

Adams was a treasure. May he rest in peace.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think its public knowlege that I am a rabid Michael Adams fan. He is one of my most favoritest authors. Only Dave Barry can compete with the late Mr. Adams in the art of utilizing the word 'weasel' with such great comic effect.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    ...I am a rabid Michael Adams...
    Boy, Douglas Adams' mother must have been real proud that both of her sons became succesful authors.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Boy, Douglas Adams' mother must have been real proud that both of her sons became succesful authors.
    uhhhhh, I was referring of course to the author of the less well known "Hytchhyker's Gyde to the Galaxy" (and whose other works include: "The Fast-Food Place at the End of the Universe", "Existence, Space and All", "Bye Bye and Thanx for all the Fishies"), . Which apart from a few superficial similarities in its author's name, title, and subject matter bears little resemblance otherwise to that other author you refer to.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Wonderful set of stories if you are not too into reality. But then reality is for those who don't read Dirk Adams.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    "The spaceship loomed in the air, just the way bricks don't"

Adams was the king of the absurd statement.

I also liked the observation that the best way to levitate was the throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Feb 2004
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

"The easiest way to get a drink out a Vogon is to stick your finger down his throat."

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Never been been a big fan. Maybe I should try to reread it.

Now if we want to discuss Red Dwarf, I'm in.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Nov 2008, 9:45 PM
  2. Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 3:18 PM