Urban planning community

Poll results: Jail Time for Juvenile Foul Mouth?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Send the snotty little foul mouth to the county jail!

14 43.75%
  • No Opinion Have I.

3 9.38%
  • Free this young man who was just expressing himself!

15 46.88%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meaningless Poll #1

Registered
    Oct 2001

Meaningless Poll #1

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ring_student_2

Quote Originally posted by Yahoo
    Foul-Mouthed Teen May Go to Jail

WILMINGTON, N.C. - A teenager may go to jail for using foul language with a high school teacher. Glenn Gattis and his parents don't deny that he cursed or has had other disciplinary problems at Ashley High School. But they say the misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct is an overreaction.

The 17-year-old Gattis says he became frustrated and used bad language when he got in trouble for being late to class again. He said he was ultimately stopped by deputies working as school resource officers, who gave him a citation for using language meant to provoke violence. He was also suspended for three days.

Gattis' mother, Judy Lewis, said she could understand if her son had to serve detention at school. But he could get up to 30 days in jail. The family has hired a lawyer to fight the charge.

School officials declined to comment.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My conservative shide shows here...the kid needs to learn what consequences are. Free speech comes with responsibilities not to infringe on those of another.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    My conservative shide shows here...the kid needs to learn what consequences are. Free speech comes with responsibilities not to infringe on those of another.
    Come on, are you serious? Do you agree with the actions of the police authority?

The kid swore at his teacher because he yelled at for being late to class, and he then got a 3 day suspension, which is more than sufficient.

But a criminal citation for "language meant to provoke violence" is too much.
    Last edited by mendelman; 12 Oct 2004 at 9:56 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    It is not the first time something like this has happened.

(yet another reason I like Michigan!)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Teachers get trampled on everyday by problem kids. I think there should be more consequences as long as they're enforced consistently, and it becomes school dept. policy. I'm talking about full-on screaming, swearing and threatening here - not just mumbling the f-word.

Mr. Moses used to give me a hard time about being late. If I swore up a storm at him there should be a risk of a criminal charge, just like if I start yelling obscenities at a bad waiter. I always found it odd that in high school you can bash another kid's face in and get suspended for a few days and not face criminal charges.

Now that I think of it, F--- You, Mr. Moses! I had to walk past the projects in the snow while other kids were dropped off by their mommy's!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Mine too. This is a sore subject with me - lots of friends and family that are teachers and it is amazing to me what goes on in schools today, and how unbelievably disrespectful kids are. But I agree with SeaBishop - this should be enforced consistently.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Kid may need help....

There most likely are other things going on in this kids life that need attention....also, he should be punished in a more creative way .... I think its bad bad bad....but then again these are just words. Counsel the kid and send him to mr. mackey's office (ala south park....ha ha ha...)
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2002
    [QUOTE=Seabishop]Teachers get trampled on everyday by problem kids. I think there should be more consequences as long as they're enforced consistently, and it becomes school dept. policy. I'm talking about full-on screaming, swearing and threatening here - not just mumbling the f-word.[QUOTE]

Exactly! When are kids going to realize that they need to pay the price for their actions. There is NO WAY I'd ever have used language like that in front of my teachers -- my parents wouldn't have tolerated that for a minute. This kid has other issues too, and it can be disruptive for the other kids. He needs to learn that an education is a priviledge and if he doesn't like it, "don't let the door hit your butt on the way out."

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Which consequences? It's one thing to get an in-school 3-day suspension, but JAIL TIME??!! Give me a break!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Detention, Yes; Jail time, No! JMHO.

Now maybe I'll shut up or else I'll be going to jail.

Jail time is a joke in this case. These schools and parents are going overboard with this rules are rules nonesense. When it comes to schools common sense gets thrown out the window.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'd like a bit more of the facts...

Did he say, "So I'm late? I don't really give a ****." Or was it, "Hey, **** you, ****. I'll be late if I want, and if you say **** about it, I'll **** you up!"

Was it really "threatening"? As Seabishop points out, teachers have to deal with some real problem kids... but conversely, some teachers believe they hold so much sway over their pupils, they become a problem.

I've always told my kids if they feel they are being singled out, ridiculed, or unfairly treated, to just pick up their things and go to the office where they ask the administration to call me.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    I always found it odd that in high school you can bash another kid's face in and get suspended for a few days and not face criminal charges.
    When I was in high school, of course this was during the 90s, if there was a fight you'd be suspended and the cops would pursue criminal charges. (Usually thrown out with the kid trembling in front of judge in a borrowed suit).
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Detention, Yes; Jail time, No! JMHO.
    My sentiments exactly.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Nascar’s Dale Jr. was fined $10,000 (or some close amount) and 25 points which could cost him the championship, all be cause he said, “Sh^# my daddy won her 10 times.”

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Nascar’s Dale Jr. was fined $10,000 (or some close amount) and 25 points which could cost him the championship, all be cause he said, “Sh^# my daddy won her 10 times.”
    .....and your point is?...........
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    May 2003
    Jesus Christ. Whatever happened to soap in the mouth?

Zero Tolerance is out of control.

Soon we'll have the highest incarceration rate in the world among kids as well as adults.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Whatever happened to capital punishment in schools such as spanking. In the early 80s, I definitely knew the principal on a one-on-one basis. I would get it at school, then at home.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    Whatever happened to capital punishment in schools such as spanking. In the early 80s, I definitely knew the principal on a one-on-one basis. I would get it at school, then at home.
    Yes, but corporal punishment is child abuse -- cruel and unusual punishment, a violation of their rights. It's better to treat them with respect and send a child to jail like they are adults who have committed terrible crimes, doncha know.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Yes, but corporal punishment is child abuse -- cruel and unusual punishment, a violation of their rights. It's better to treat them with respect and send a child to jail like they are adults who have committed terrible crimes, doncha know.
    Kids don't have rights until they move out of their parents house. Now break out the belt

Seriously, come on. Jail time? These teachers need to suck it up and quit being babies. I've had many teachers in school swear at me for something, in a soft spoken manner, so nobody else could here it. But then again, everbody is worried about hurting each others feelings nowadays. A certian person I know who taught at a school for a while remembers the good ol' days where you could grab a kid by their neck and slam them up against the lockers. Retribution.

Really, the next thing you know, you'll be sent to jail for looking at somebody the wrong way.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    Capital punishment?! Just kill them?

Ouch... I'm guessing you mean "corporal", huh?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My nephew was nearly expelled during his senior year of high school, just last year, for having a hunting knife in his truck. Never mind that he had actually been hunting with his dad over the weekend and forgot the knife on the back seat. A school resource officer saw it in the truck in the school parking lot. Thank god the principal knew my brother and his family well enough to head off the expulsion.

Zero tolerance is really stupid, lots of the time.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    For Halloween one year, the kids were allowed to wear their costume to school. My sons were ninjas. I had to go to school to pick up the plastic sword to comply with the zero tolerance (zero brains) policy. Yup: he was one extremely dangerous 7 year old with his plastic sword. It is not like we raided his fathers cache of actual shurikin or something to give the outfit authenticity.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Taser Those Brats.....

Did anyone hear/read about the two incidents of Miami Dade police officers tasering a 6 year old and 12 year old within a couple of weeks.... The police said by tasering a 12 year old girl, it allowed her to get treatment....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Did anyone hear/read about the two incidents of Miami Dade police officers tasering a 6 year old and 12 year old within a couple of weeks.... The police said by tasering a 12 year old girl, it allowed her to get treatment....
    Treatment for what?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Utterly meaningless phrases
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 28 Jan 2012, 8:15 PM
  2. What to do at Stanfest '08 Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 May 2008, 8:22 AM