Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Simplify 3D TINs

Registered
    Nov 2004

Simplify 3D TINs

I have created 3D-like objects by closing TIN surfaces. My problem is that the produced objects in ArcGIS, are not treated as discrete objects but as a sum of the triangles-polygons that constitute the TINs. Furthermore, the produced files are "quite" heavy!
    Is there any way:
    1) to simplify the TINs in order to reduce the file size
    2) to integrade the triangles of the TINs to one object?

Thank You

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What type of objects did you make? If they are items for point shape files, then there is a way to create new icons. If it is suface, you can create an tin from a shape file that has elevation information.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What type of objects did you make? If they are items for point shape files, then there is a way to create new icons. If it is suface, you can create an tin from a shape file that has elevation information.

My objects are like cubes made by near 200 connected polygons and they are treated as surfaces

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I think that you should be able to give them an elevation, and from there convert them over using 3D analyst (if using a newer ESRI program). That should give you a tin, and you can then drape layers over that if need.

Another way might be to create a contour layer with elevation data, and convert that out.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Thanks a lot

+ Reply to thread