Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the City 209: No Picture Edition 6

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Guess the City 209: No Picture Edition 6

Come on, guess what city I am.....

I am on a river. In the 1800's I was being considered as the location for the University of Michigan.

Two (2) villages were merged to form me.

I have a suspension bridge, a drawbridge, and a couple expressway bridges. These bridges are named for military heroes, a famous religious person, and a former governor of my state.

One (1) of the first railroads in the world was here. In the 1950's I had more than one (1) train station.

Where TF am I ?????

Doubting Thomas Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm thinking either Saginaw or Bay City, MI.

Except for that UM part, it sounds like Toledo.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Detroit, Michigan

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Following in my tradition of being way off with my guesses...

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14431

I'm gonna say... Key West, Florida.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Except for that UM part, it sounds like Toledo.
    Hey, Cat....the answer IS Toledo !!!!!!

Just about the time of the Toledo War, Michigan was looking for a location for their school. They considered the land where Swan Creek empties into the Maumee River......which is now downtown Toledo.

Remember, at that time, Ohio and Michigan were arguing about the location of the state line.

I picked this info up a few years ago in, if I remember correctly, Michigan History Magazine.

Clues info.....

The villages of Vistula and Port Lawerence merged to form Toledo. The suspension bridge is named after General "Mad" Anthony Wayne. The drawbridge is named after Martin Luther King, Jr. The interstate highway bridges are named after a Medal of Honor winner, Craig (not sure of his first name), and former Ohio governor Michael Disalle, who was from Toledo.

I don't remember the names of the two (2) train stations, but I was in one (1) of them in the early 1950's, boarding a train for Carey, OH. That station was located on Summit Street.

Bear In The Dining Car
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Hey, Cat....the answer IS Toledo !!!!!!

Just about the time of the Toledo War, Michigan was looking for a location for their school. They considered the land where Swan Creek empties into the Maumee River......which is now downtown Toledo.

Remember, at that time, Ohio and Michigan were arguing about the location of the state line.
    If you ever get a chance to go to the Local History Room of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library, they currently have on display this huge wall map of Michigan from 1835 that shows Toledo in Monroe County!

A lot of land transactions for the northern part of Lucas County took place up at Monroe, but to actually see Toledo in Michigan on a map is really something. One wonders how different Toledo would have been had it remained part of Michigan. Perhaps it would have been more prosperous, being the southernmost port city of the state. And it only would have played second fiddle to Detroit, instead of the three Cs - Cleveland, Columbus Cinci.

I don't remember the names of the two (2) train stations, but I was in one (1) of them in the early 1950's, boarding a train for Carey, OH. That station was located on Summit Street.

Bear In The Dining Car
    They were the Toledo Terminal Station and Ann Arbor Station and they were located right next to each other on the east side of Cherry Street near Seneca.
    I think they were pretty much gone by the 1940s - the Toledo Terminal destroyed by fire if memory serves me correctly.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Now that the alternate reality has been proposed ("What IF Toledo had remained a part of Michigan?) we get the inevitable question: how would it have affected the election results?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Sep 2005, 12:09 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 4:04 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Sep 2005, 6:07 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Aug 2005, 10:13 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Jul 2005, 9:58 AM