Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a Journal?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Do you keep a Journal?

Do you keep any type of Journal? I know we have talked about dream journals in the past. Talking with Maister, he mentioned that he keeps a beer journal, I know people who keep work journals, and vineyards what keep wine production journals. I keep a motivational and success journal for ideas for upcoming speaking events. Thanks to JNL, I now keep a dream journal too. (Although it reads like a Steven King book right now)

What types of journals do you keep?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    yes I keep one
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    No personal journal here at the present time. When I was on my honeymoon we bought a travel journal to document each days event and and all the neat, fun, unusal, and other things we did and/or saw. We plan on taking it on all our future trips to remember.

While in college I kept a journal about my life and the struggles and conquests I went through. I stopped that when I was a senior.

I think I/we will start another journal when it comes time to venture into parenting but that is several years away so I guess I revisit this thread then.
    Last edited by PlannerByDay; 16 Nov 2004 at 4:58 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I have kept one for years. Currently I have two journals. My daily journal and a journal I began about five months before my son was born. In the latter I write about him and different events and milestones in his young life. My son's journal will probably be filled when he is around five. I don't know if I will continue to keep it when it is full or just let it go.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Tried to keep one years ago - I was somewhat inspired by The secret diaries of Adrian Mole during my teen years. My wife and I have recently started up a wine journal...and for my birthday she made me a beautiful scotch journal.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have kept one for several years. I never wrote anything in it, but it is sitting on a shelf near my desk.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I have one that I've written in since I moved a year ago. It's part "Diary of a Madman" part "Love Letter to BA".
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I recently got a digital camera and was thinking of keeping a journal of sorts, documenting all my projects I have completed. I would probably only include actual stuff that got built.

I don't think lot line adjustments woud take to well to film.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I have one that I've written in since I moved a year ago. It's part "Diary of a Madman" part "Love Letter to BA".

BA Baracus?

Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I recently got a digital camera and was thinking of keeping a journal of sorts, documenting all my projects I have completed. I would probably only include actual stuff that got built.
    That is a great idea. Not only will you have a literary representation of it, you will have a visual representation as well!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Does a Franklin planner count?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Nope. Why put anything incriminating in writing?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Nope. Why put anything incriminating in writing?
    I kept a journal for ~15 years, mainly during my high school and college years. I stopped when I was in grad school because I was too busy, and never really started it up again.

The notebooks I used are stored in a large box in my home office. I don't know what my relatives or descendants will do with them when I die. Hopefully burn them. They are way too personal!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've been keeping a "pre-marriage" journal ever since I got engaged. I'm using it to write down thoughts I'm having before the big day, stuff I'm looking forward to, frustrations, etc. The future Mrs. is doing the same thing.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I have kept one for several years. I never wrote anything in it, but it is sitting on a shelf near my desk.
    Oh that one will be a best seller, right up there with my journal written in vanishing ink.

I do have boxes of of old photos that journal events in my life. But I think those are heading to the shredder before the kids find them.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I starting keeping one in high school, when I went to Germany as an exchange student. I kept it up until grad school, when I just didn't have the energy to hold a pen. I haven't started back up again.

I keep all postcards that are mailed to me, like a journal of my friends/family travels. They go in the book in chronological order, keeping a timeline of travels, rather than organized by person. I also keep postacrds that I buy during my travels. They are also in books.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    When I was no my honeymoon we bought a travel journal to document each days event and and all the neat, fun, unusal, and other things we did and/or saw.
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I've been keeping a "pre-marriage" journal ever since I got engaged. I'm using it to write down thoughts I'm having before the big day, stuff I'm looking forward to, frustrations, etc. The future Mrs. is doing the same thing.
    Wow these are really cool ideas! Very special memories. I'll keep them in mind when/if I ever get married...

michaelskis - nice to know I inspired you I was having a giggle re-reading some of my dreams recently - one was about feeding bananas to ducks...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I keep a notebook where I write things that I remember from when I was a kid. It's not in any particular order, and my kids are welcome to read it any time.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    BA Baracus?

No, but the resemblence is uncanny.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I had a diary when I was a little girl...remember the kind with the tiny lock & key?

About 5 years ago, I started journaling again. Not only do I just write about random stuff, but if I see a really cool quote or short mag clip that I really connect with, I'' paste that in my journal, too.

Every once in a great while I'll go back and read some of them. Man, I did some really stupid stuff when I was younger! Some things are great reminders of what NOT to do!

One thing...my journal has to be hand-written. I've tried keeping one on computer but it's not the same.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    I was having a giggle re-reading some of my dreams recently - one was about feeding bananas to ducks...
    Hey, wait a minute! I have that dream all the time!!!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I keep "The Book of Lists (2004)" It's a spiral-bound notebook that contains lists of music to buy, weekly expenditures, telephone #'s, things I need for the house and random thoughts and drawings.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Hey, wait a minute! I have that dream all the time!!!
    Courtesy of http://www.dreammoods.com/
    Bananas
    To see bananas in your dream, may be a metaphor for repressed sexual urges and desires.

Duck
    To see ducks in your dream, either represents spiritual freedom (if flying) or it represents the unconscious (if swimming). Ducks are rather multi-talented animals that can walk, swim and fly and thus may represent your flexibility and in blending into various situations. Alternatively, the dream may also indicate that you are setting yourself up or being set up for the kill as associated by the phrase "sitting duck". Also, the duck may be a pun on "ducking" some issue or situation, instead of confronting it head-on.
    To see a white duck in your dream, signifies falsehood and deceit.
    Hmmm...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Off-topic:
    Wait a second... I never dream about bananas! That can't be right...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Off-topic:
    Wait a second... I never dream about bananas! That can't be right...
    Honey, there are many, many ways for that represention to be depicted.... bananas are just one. And wait a second - why am I dreaming about bananas? Oh yeah, it was an old dream

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Journal (public television)
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Aug 2011, 12:11 PM
  2. Scientific journal idea
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 7:07 PM
  3. Replies: 2