Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a Journal?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    If a Franklin Planner counts, then the answer is "yes". I have been an avid Franklin user for years. Every day I have my to-do list, which is mainly a listing of certain things that I have to do on (for example) a monthly basis, such as a certain sales dollar report or a certain quality report.

Any conversation I have that could have personnel ramifications are also mentioned in the planner, such as a disciplinary discussion with an employee.
    (Yes, a Franklin Planner can be supoened for a court proceeding.)

Our organization also has Lotus Notes, tied in with about seventy-five computer users in our building. The calendar aspects of Lotus are helpful and sometimes save me from having to write in my Franklin. But, information about employees, etc. is never placed in Lotus, because of security reasons.

Over the years I have tried different journals on the home front, but my life is too boring for any kind of written document.

Bear Ing
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I kept a journal for many years. I still periodically keep a hand-written journal. I also get accused of telling my life story at great length in various online forums. I guess that alleviates my need to talk to myself in written form, thus I am not presently keeping a journal.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I kept a journal for many years. I still periodically keep a hand-written journal. I also get accused of telling my life story at great length in various online forums. I guess that alleviates my need to talk to myself in written form, thus I am not presently keeping a journal.
    Ahhhh, but it's a life story we enjoy hearing about. Keep journalizing.

Bear Who Has Never Ever Shared A Word On Line About His Private Life
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North

Bear, I am really sorry to hear that you are on so very much medication today. I hope you feel better soon.

Registered
    Nov 2004

I think I speak for everyone when I say this:

Thanks.

Edited to add smiley. lol
    Last edited by Breed; 17 Nov 2004 at 1:23 AM.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [quote}Bear Who Has Never Ever Shared A Word On Line About His Private Life[/quote]

Quote Originally posted by Breed

Thanks.
    Keep it coming, Bear. From what you have told us, you have had a fascinating life.

Cardinal chirping up in disagreement
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Thanks.

I think you maybe missed, say, the thread he started about nudist colonies, some of the things he has said about his several wives (including anatomical details ) and, um, generally making me look like I am incredibly discreet. Of course, I think I am very discreet. I don't understand where people get the idea that I am not.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    we don't journal. handwriting is a such an archaic method of writing...like chisiling into stone.

My family does have a blog we infrequently update: Blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Thanks.

Good call! You Rock Bear!

Quote Originally posted by boiker
    we don't journal. handwriting is a such an archaic method of writing...like chisiling into stone.

My family does have a blog we infrequently update: Blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have got to start one of those… one of these days. I will still keep a paper one because there is just something about paper and a pen, and a lot of what is written is not in words!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I know Michaelskis said I keep a beer journal, but really I consider it more of a logbook to record technical data for my homebrewing. The idea of recording my innermost thoughts in a diary that someone else can read I find troubling.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    So there is a Boiker in the oven. Congrats !!!!! and where the hell have you been.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2003

Moleskine

Bump goes the old thread.

This weekend, while spending a multi hour journey around the local Barnes and Noble bookstore, I came across Moleskine. While I have seen these from time to time, I had never known what they are, where to get them, or their detailed and rather interesting history.

The thing that I thought was interesting is the size of them. It is the same size as my Treo and they are intended to be carried around with you wherever you go for quick notes, journal entries, drawings, or other information that you write impromptu information in.

They now have their ‘City Notebook’ that are particular to specific cities around the world. While the US locations are a bit limited, they have London, Paris, Prague, Dublin, and many others. Inside is a complete map of the city, detailed maps of sections of the city, blank pages for notes, tabbed pages for other information, and important phone numbers and address for that particular city.

I admit that I am thinking about getting one when I go to Ireland next spring, (Specific to Dublin), and I am thinking about getting one for everyday use. I have noticed some people will get just a little note pad that will fall apart, but these appear and have the reputation of being much stronger.
    You get what you give.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I had a diary in junior high that I gave to my daughter when she was the same age - we sound exactly alike, very creepy -

after that, I never did again, I was always fearful of it being read, ala Harriet the Spy and I still feel the same - as Senator Ted Kennedy once told me:

don't write what you can say, and don't say what you can get away with a wink and a nod
    I did keep a travel journal from my Japan trip sans kids in 2001; but that was more of an attempt at prose and observations really -

our family calendar chronicles our nutty life but they get chucked at the end of the year

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I was always fearful of it being read
    January 15, 1990: Dear Diary, The Boss instructed us to bury the body in the woods behind the power station last night. Rocko and I were careful to cover our tracks and saw no vehicles on the road between 1:30 and 2:00 a.m. With any luck, old widow Winthrop won't be missed for several more weeks. Afterwards, me, Moose and Pauly went out for drinks and played some poker...
    That pretty much sums up my feelings on the journal issue. Journals can always be found and the risk of self-incrimination is too great.

On a related note, has anyone ever read Goebbels Diaries? Man, that was spooky stuff reading entries like "it is becoming increasingly clear the war in Russia will not be over by Christmas as initially promised. I will need to find some way to sell the people on how a protracted conflict is in their best interests...."
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I tried keeping a log of my glucose meter readings.
    After awhile it reminded me how inconsistant I was in doing it.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someday when I get a job with the ‘Darkside’ and have to go do development plans for other cities, I think that it would be a great idea to Journal the details of the project, potential issues, potential benefits, the things that I saw, people I spoke with, and other ideas as related to the project.
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I have a blog, it's a close to a journal as it's going to get. That said I use Moleskine products abundantly. I use the 5x7 ruled journal books to take notes on at work, I have a little date book from them, and my favorite is a small pocketed folder where I stash all my receipts. The new City Books are fabulous...I have the NY one and it's great.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003

Bump the thread again.

Over the past year or two, OK closer to two, I have fallen out of the habit of keeping a journal and it is something that I need to get back into the habit of doing. An author that I have meet a few times commented that all of his books come from his journal ideas. This includes traveling, business, and sociology.

So reposes the question, do you keep a journal? If so, what kind is it and what do you put in it? How often do you put entries into it? Do you have a system that you use to remember to put entries into it?
    You get what you give.

Registered
    May 2005
    Cyburbia is my journal.

And I say this with all seriousness.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Cyburbia is my journal.

Had not thought of it that way but I agree.
    and what you post on FB too.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Cyburbia/Facebook. Who has time for anything else lol.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Cyburbia is my journal.

I gotta say posting on Cyburbia is as close as I come to a journal too

Registered
    May 2004
    Cyburbia is my journal.

Echo the sentiments of others. This is probably the closest thing I have to a straight up journal of my life. I do tend to carry around a "journal" that I write in, but its primarily for writing poetry and song lyrics that might pop up in my head.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Echo the sentiments of others. This is probably the closest thing I have to a straight up journal of my life. I do tend to carry around a "journal" that I write in, but its primarily for writing poetry and song lyrics that might pop up in my head.
    Boom. Me too. I've kept a journal of sorts for most of my life. Love to write, and you have to be able to jot down ideas for things, too, like imaplanner said. At my house on the sofa table we keep a book we call the "Family Journal". Sometimes we write down something funny a kid said, sometimes a neighbor kid writes a note (or draws a dirty picture, if Anton's been over...) or an Aunt who has visited tapes in a picture and a note...you get the idea. It's fun.

Echoing the others here, I think I probably write more honestly about my life here on Cyburbia than I do anywhere else. I never would have believed that three years ago.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004

Mskis - Please feel free to do the same to me..... I suspect you won't take this too seriously.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Do you keep any type of Journal? ?
    I'm imaging mskis journal goes something like this:

Sunday: I'm tired from skiing today. It would have been fun except the moguls were too deep. Stupid union workers.

Monday: Traffic was really bad on the way in to work today. I think President Obama is behind this somehow. Where is the proof he isnt!

Wednesday: Sorry for not writing yesterday, I was too busy listening to Dave Ramsey marathons.

Thursday: The potholes in front of my house have been fixed. hurray business!

Friday: Those liberal takers at my work are happy about a weekend. Patriots don't take weekends. Weekends are for union thugs!

Saturday: I encountered a homeless person on the street today asking for food. I gave him a copy of Dave Ramsey's book. You know what they say, give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man Ramsey and he will be rich and go to heaven.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Journal (public television)
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Aug 2011, 1:11 PM
  2. Scientific journal idea
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 8:07 PM
  3. Replies: 2