Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got Energy?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Got Energy?

Have you ever noticed that some people have crazy amounts of energy which allows them to get a ton of stuff done? What tips or ticks do you have to create and maintain large amounts of energy through out the work day?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I have found that working out or at least going for a good walk at lunch improves my energy levels during the afternoon (typically my lowest energy time).

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I have found that working out or at least going for a good walk at lunch improves my energy levels during the afternoon (typically my lowest energy time).
    Ditto.

Here in Houston we have the tunnel system, which connects most of downtown underground. There are shops, restaurants and such, all within easy walking distance. I find that if I walk around at lunch, then I'm not snoozing by midafternoon. Only problem is the foot traffic - if I'm too late getting down there, then I'm fighting for space.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't drink beer or teh hard stuff , sleep at least 7 hrs, eat breakfast, have at least 3 cups/mugs of coffee a day (2 in the morning & 1 after lunch) , drink water, limit your sugar consumption, breaks - go for a walk around the block, etc......
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Interest and enthusiasm about your work makes a huge difference...

I have to make sure I don't eat a big lunch or else I get sooo sleepy in the afternoon. Instead I snack all day, about every 2 hours. Not really a deliberate thing, its more because I'm hungry all the time! Seem to have a good metabolism.

While caffeine is a great fall-back when you need a boost, it always leaves me feeling a bit edgy... I think my body knows it's an artificial boost and that underneath I'm struggling...

I definitely have more energy now that I'm doing more swimming and running

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Crystal Meth
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Not having a 3 week old son.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Not having a 3 week old son.
    What a cutie he is!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    caffiene (Diet Coke) & nicotine.
    I call it my "coke & smoke" break. Terrible, isn't it?
    Also walking is good. Especially if you've just dealt with a crappy customer. We work right across the street from the Riverfront area so it's a great place to watch the yachts cruise by....
    When I do work out, I have tons more energy. It's getting the energy to DO it that's hard... (slacker)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Off-topic:

What a cutie he is!
    Thanks. going back to work has been tough....I miss spending all day with Wes!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh YEah.....

Try 128 ounces of Mountain Dew, progressively spaced throughout the day.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Try 128 ounces of Mountain Dew, progressively spaced throughout the day.....

I did that in grad school+night job. Until I developed an arrhythmia.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Got coffee...and tea...and peppermint mochas....
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    If I'm dead... usually after being up late to meet a deadline or watching the Red Sox win the World Series... I'll grab an Adrenaline Rush on the way into work. Sometimes I'll grab two if I'm especially groggy and save one for lunch.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    ...What tips or ticks do you have to create and maintain large amounts of energy through out the work day?
    Nap at my desk in the mid-morning; smoke break; lunch (smoke); nap at my desk mid-afternoon; smoke break; then leave early. When I get home, I'm a bundle of energy.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    To heck with the work day. When I need to get big stuff done at home: couple/more glasses of wine, crank up the stereo, I can work for hours, moving furniture, yard work, etc.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Nap at my desk in the mid-morning; smoke break; lunch (smoke); nap at my desk mid-afternoon; smoke break; then leave early. When I get home, I'm a bundle of energy.

Jokingly, I told someone that I've been known to take naps in the office, she got really upset and told me that I was lazy and should work harder. I told her I was a slacker, who got his work done and a cat nap breaks up the day nicely.. Truth be told, if I am really tired, I will nod off reading the local papers.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Energy? Hum.. I actually do stuff to avoid getting bored... like working on a huge map for cartography or studying.... The alternative to that is be bored and ensalved to the idiot box...
    If it were for me I'd sleep all day.. so I'm a huge reservoir of energy.... NOT!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think working out is the one thing that gives me energy...I go in spurts and I notice when I work out more often I have lots more energy and am not groggy at work...its actually getting to the gym that is the hardest part...oh and Red Bull...a can of that gives me energy for most of the day...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    People have tips for getting energy here and there, but I am more interested in people who always have more energy than most others. You know, your neighbor who completely renovated his house in two weeks while working 60 hours a week, coaching little league and raising 4 kids. I've known people like this and wonder what makes them tick as I'm falling asleep on the couch.

The Mayor of the city I live in is one of these people. Stories in the paper describe him working at all hours of the night. One of the reasons he gives for getting little sleep is that as a kid he was routinely woken up and beaten up by his older brother in the middle of the night. The brother is now in jail for a violent crime.

Do people like this just take short cuts all the time to superficially get everything done? Do they neglect other aspects of life like spending time with their families? What is different about these people?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    What is different about these people?
    One word: Clones.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Jul 2003
    What is different about these people?
    Some of them just do not need as much sleep as normal.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I fall into many of the above comments. I think I have quite a bit of energy and can keep chugging along as long as I am busy, the minute I don't have anything to do I get sleepy.

For me, just limiting my beer intake and working out either weights or the bike will keep me going.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Having a real cute co-worker or classmate helps.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    People have tips for getting energy here and there, but I am more interested in people who always have more energy than most others. You know, your neighbor who completely renovated his house in two weeks while working 60 hours a week, coaching little league and raising 4 kids. I've known people like this and wonder what makes them tick as I'm falling asleep on the couch.

The Mayor of the city I live in is one of these people. Stories in the paper describe him working at all hours of the night. One of the reasons he gives for getting little sleep is that as a kid he was routinely woken up and beaten up by his older brother in the middle of the night. The brother is now in jail for a violent crime.

Do people like this just take short cuts all the time to superficially get everything done? Do they neglect other aspects of life like spending time with their families? What is different about these people?
    A friend of mine fits this description. He is always on the go, always working, always fixing things. He has helped me with a lot of things.....always with a smile and the things he does are always correct and right. He also spends a lot of time with his kids. He works for the City of Toledo's forestry division and works all the overtime he can. My wife and I can't figure out how he does it.

When Katie and I try to figure out how he does it, I'm on the internet, conversing with geeks, etc. from Cyburbia and she is continually cleaning the house.

Go figure.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Energy/ Power/ Electricity
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 12:27 AM
  2. Energy sprawl
    Make No Small Plans