Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Home owner associations and planning

Jan 2005
    Fords, NJ

Home owner associations and planning

I am looking for recommendations on literature about homeowner associations from a planning perspective. I am particularly interested in the appropriation of traditional government roles by these associations (such as street privatization and gating), case studies, and a history of homeowner associations in the US. In addition to Fortress America, what would give me a solid background in this topic concentrating mainly on planning scholarship?

Thank you for your help.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Jun 2003
    at the neighboring pub
    I don't know any books off the top of my head, but a good example of a high-strength property owners association is The Woodlands just north of Houston. As I recall, it is the highest populated unincorporated place listed in the census. With a population of something like 70,000, the POA functions almost like a city, including having inspectors and professional management.

I'm not sure how much that helps you, but it might be a good one to use for case studies.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Jan 2005
    Land of Confusion
    Joel Garreau's Edge City (1991) examines the phenomenon you referred to in his chapter on edge cities in the Phoenix metro region. I found it particularly insightful.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Feb 2008, 12:54 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Aug 2006, 6:01 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 02 Feb 2005, 11:43 PM
  4. Home For Sale: By Owner
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Jul 2004, 11:36 AM