1 1.64%
  • Will take it

18 29.51%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you AICP?

Registered
    Sep 1998
    Me, I've been MCIP since 2001 - yup, another cannuckistani !!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Used to be a provisional member of CIP, and an associate member of ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers). My previous employer paid for both, while my current one pays for neither. I dropped CIP 'cause I figured ITE had more relevance, but I'm beginning to reconsider since while I can definitely become MCIP one day, there's no way I'll probably ever be a full member of ITE without going back to schoold and getting lobotomized (i.e. become an engineer. Sorry Engineers).

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Moderator note:
    Discussion about professional planning organizations have usually taken place in NMSP, so I'm moving this thread there.

On-topic: Yes, I'm AICP. I'll probably never get an "F" before my name, though; I'm not that involved in APA chapters or sections, I don't teach, and I've never been pubished.
    what, the article in Plan Canada from the mid 90's does not count?

I've had "f" in front of my name plenty of times, never in a positive light though.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup....

AICP in 1998 and employer always pays dues....
    2nd Continuing Professional Development Program Certificate this month.....
    JNA- Ouch that's gotta hurt each time you write the check.....$400 or so with journal???
    As I've said before, I got AICP as soon as I could, mainly to avoid what I thought would be a trend to require certification.....hasn't worked out that way, but at least I don't have to worry if it ends up going that direction. I'm also kind of nerdy when it comes to wanting to keep taking tests
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2003

Just passed!

Member since 11:00AM November 20. Why? job opportunities...
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    JNA- Ouch that's gotta hurt each time you write the check.....$400 or so with journal???
    Yes, but I don't subscribe to the Journal.
    (What's this Journal that you speak of )

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by GISgal
    Member since 11:00AM November 20. Why? job opportunities...
    Yes, member since 2pm November 19 . Looks good after my name, and there's no guarantee that I'll be in the same place all my career. Not needed at current employment, nor do they pay a bloody nickel for anything.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Yes, as of this spring. Sure its a rip-off that I pay for myself but I've been trying to get another job for a long time.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Yes, but I don't subscribe to the Journal.
    (What's this Journal that you speak of )
    A loose conglomeration of pages with words that rarely make sense or mean anything useful for those not living in "ivory towers" ......or more commonly referred to as a "rag."
    HA HA HA HA HA

I don't get this loose conglomeration of pages either....I used to, before my naïveté wore off after grad school.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am not a very good test taker, but I will take it and eventually pass. I do feel energized now since I passed my water aerobics instructor certification.

Registered
    Nov 2004

Eh? I See Pee

Took it; passed; studied waaaaayyy too long. Unless you are a practicing planner, the only thing you can really 'study' are the court cases and how many acres are in a quarter section. The rest was on the job knowledge, all of 2 questions on ethics, and some lame census stuff that even the President of APA probably wouldn't know off the cuff.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm AICP only because I spent some time in the private sector and they required it. I think its bull****.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I answered NO WAY. Because I'm a splitter. I am MPIA but I used to be MRAPI.

(Vague Life of Brian reference here if anyone was wondering WTH I am on about).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Personally, I do not need 4 letters after my name to vouch for my intelligence as a planner. I've never needed to take it for securing employment and if my employer wanted to cover the costs, I'd perhaps consider.
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Greek Letters

I get the feeling that AICP will soon become Greek and important to have in order to get certain positions, move up certain ladders, or become president of the United States.

I don't have any letters after my name and havn't taken the test yet. Mainly because I am 3.5 years into my career after graduating from a "non-accredited" program.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    The poll is closed, but I would vote NO WAY. It's just not that relevant to economic & community development. It would be a waste of time for me to study all that ancient history that I haven't seen since graduate school.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    I answered NO WAY. Because I'm a splitter. I am MPIA but I used to be MRAPI.

(Vague Life of Brian reference here if anyone was wondering WTH I am on about).
    What in the heck ARE these acronyms??? Never seen 'em.

Registered
    Jan 2005

Yes yes

I've found that when you interview for Senior or Principal Planner jobs, you'll be asked why you don't have your AICP. Now that i do, it won't come up.

Registered
    Jan 2005

AICP confusion

Could somebody please inform me how the AICP certification process works? Which qualifications do you need in order to take the test? Does the certification run out after a length of time? Thanks.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    Could somebody please inform me how the AICP certification process works? Which qualifications do you need in order to take the test? Does the certification run out after a length of time? Thanks.

Read about it here
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005

Yes, Since 1998

AICP since 1998. Finally got my employer to pay. Otherwise, it's pretty steep but I suppose, worthwhile.

Registered
    Jan 2005

Have you heard this one?...

A.I.C.P. (Any Idiot Can Plan)

No offense to anyone, I just thought it was humorous when I herard it. I think I see the value of the certification. I'm still very early in my career and I got my bachelors from a non acredited program. So I'm still several years way from actually going for the certification. It does seem like when I went on my first job interviews, AICP certification came up more than once. Was asked if I would be willing to persue it. Of course I said yes (trying to get my foot in the door mind you ) but right now I'm with an employer in which it wouldn't be neccessary but things can change. I think it might be a good advantage later in my career when I go for a senior level position.
    But seems to me that if you are in the public or non-profit sector and plan to stay there for some time, such as myself, it might not be as important. I don't know.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by gjackson
    But seems to me that if you are in the public or non-profit sector and plan to stay there for some time, such as myself, it might not be as important. I don't know.
    In terms of negotiating future salaries with your current public/non-profit sector job, it will come up. I'm in negotiations with my current employer for a promotion. They did bring up that they didn't want to have pay be out of line with education/experience levels, regardless of the fact that in terms of work (both quantity and quality) there is no comparison. Maybe I should start passing off some of my workload onto my more experienced and better educated colleagues. (Yes, I'm bitter.)
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 May 2015, 9:45 AM
  2. AICP in May??
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 26 Oct 2005, 11:18 AM
  3. Are you AICP?
    Friday Afternoon Club