Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you a NASCAR Fan?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Are you a NASCAR Fan?

I was watching Nightly Business Report and they are saying that NASCAR viewers have increased by 41% while almost every other support has declined and researchers predict that if NASCAR continues its current trends it will pass up Baseball and Football as America’s Most Popular Sport.

The others will still make more because ticket prices are more, and there are more games because it is one team vs one team instead of several teams vs each other.

(oh and I am a fan too) I was a #3 fan, now I am a #8 fan.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    God, no. And would never date anyone who was. Arf, arf, arf.

I'm not into NASCAR but I do enjoy FORMULA ONE a lot! cars are cool.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No gear head here.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2003
    NO, I don't really understand the fasination of watch cars race around a loop many times.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is not necessarily a NASCAR fan but I do watch it sometimes and do a lot of research on it, via the internet.

Reason? My fake drawn city, De Noc, has a huge Grand Prix race track and I want to convert part of it to a shorter NASCAR track. I'm researching track shapes, lengths, stadium and seating diagrams, infield arrangements. etc.

I did read a good article a month or two (2) ago about Fontana, CA, and its' trials and tribulations with their nearby NASCAR track. A lot of the local businesses that thought they would do well on race weekends have not. Seems that a lot of NASCAR fans do all their drinking and eating at the track.

For years, I camped at a Michigan State Park just a few miles from Michigan International. We would never go on race weekends......could never get in to the state park.....too crowded.

Final note: I know why you like it, you sly Ski-Dog.....the "chicks" at NASCAR events are like the women of country music......hot.

Bearhardt
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    I'm not into NASCAR but I do enjoy FORMULA ONE a lot! cars are cool.
    I'm more into F1, too, and hoping to be able to make it to next year's race at Indianapolis (oops, Nativeamericanapolis, for you ultra-PCers).

I'm also very much looking forward to seeing what Red Bull will be able to do with the F1 team that they just bought from Jaguar. They have been trying for several years to groom promising young drivers from the USA for that circuit and have one who is currently dominating in a 'minor league' European Formula series.

(Wishing that Jeff Gordon could make the jump to ride with the Big Boys of the second most popular spectator sport in the World.)

Still, if the NASCAR 'Good 'ol Boys' are running and the Packers are not playing, I'll watch them.

Mike

Registered
    May 2003
    YEAH WOO HOO! GIT R DONE!

NUMBER 3 RIP!!1!

I LIK IT WEN TEH KARS GO VROOM!

No, I supported Kerry.

I will watch the old stuff when they show it on ESPN Classic, when the actually used real cars. . But anything after 1985 or so is crap. The Nascar races are just one huge commercial, and Nascar is the biggest advertising scam in all of sports. It's incomprehensable to me how much people will pay for a Nascar event ticket.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Nope. WRC and Touring cars here. Don't like ovals. While it does take talent to drive like that, its just boring to watch a train of cars lap after lap after lap after lap after lap after lap after lap after lap after...ok you get the point . WRC is my favorite though. just the car vs time & elements. Cool stuff!
    You're more boring than you know.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I used to have tickets to the July race at NHIS....but have become less interested in the last few years....primarily because the driver I like sucks.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm a NASCAR detractor if anything. Cars going around in a circle is more of an endurance and boredom test to me, not to mention a profligate waste of natural resources. Plus the souvenirs and outfits are really kitschy. Thes people with the jackets with the car numbers and all the patches crack me up. They make themselves into these loud, walking billboards, and they're PAYING for the privilege! Have you seen all the merchandisng they do around races? Its just another commodification of shared experience, of hero worship.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Nope not a fan. I had an opportunity to go to my first Race this summer but passes to go camping.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I dont follow races, but I have been to a few and can say they were awesome. It is a lot different when you are there.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Nascar bores me to tears. If it were cars I could actually go to a dealership and buy, it might hold slightly more interest.

WRC is cool, even though I rarely get to see footage from it. To me, that race is more about driver skill than the big engine with the peddle on the floor.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well, I have to say that the races are on in my house. King B watches regularly but is not a "crazy" fan. No memorabilia here. I have learned that the roar of the engines puts me to sleep so it is good for both of us.
    I didn't know that he was a race fan. We got together during the off season. Then I was really shocked when KC won a few football games and he thought he needed to watch football!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I have been into racing and cars since birth. I used to go to a lot of races, but now I don't. I grew up watching a lot of open wheel racing before CART split. I fondly remember days of Al Unser Sr. and Jr., Bobby Rahal, Emerson Fittipaldi, Rick Mears, Danny Sullivan, and of course the Andrettis. I do like Nascar, but I don't like the merchandise crap. I don't need to wear a t-shirt with their picture and sponsor all over it. Uhh let me see if I can pay you to advertise your product...No.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Not really. I don't know why, but I think I can join the concensus here and say it is boring, too commercial, and (to take the Kuntsler route) the epitome of our fat, gas guzzling culture.... ok, I am off that.

I do like the European Grand Prix and Rallys, but the Speed Channel never seems to have those one while I'm channel surfing.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    I'm a NASCAR detractor if anything. Cars going around in a circle is more of an endurance and boredom test to me, not to mention a profligate waste of natural resources. Plus the souvenirs and outfits are really kitschy. Thes people with the jackets with the car numbers and all the patches crack me up. They make themselves into these loud, walking billboards, and they're PAYING for the privilege! Have you seen all the merchandisng they do around races? Its just another commodification of shared experience, of hero worship.
    But apart from those few things you like it don't you?
    I enjoy the experience of driving fast myself, but have no particular interest in watching NASCAR or any endurance racing for that matter, be it bicycle, motorcycle, Grand Prix, Formula or any other sort of race. The moments of actual drama I find to be relatively rare. Maybe someone who really is into watching racing should volunteer what they enjoy about the experience....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Horsepower, no. Horse power, yes.

Give me 1:59-1/5 of horse flesh going 1-1/4 mile any day. (Preferably with a $20 win on a 13-1 shot )

My boss caled me from nativeamericanapolis during the F-1 practice the Friday before the race this year. Even over a cell phone, I have to say that the power was rather impressive. But it's not my thing.
    Je suis Charlie

More to Nascar Than Just Go-fast

Being a vative of the Concord/Charlotte NC area, Nascar is almost mandatory. The thing is that peopla only see the cars go around on Sunday, not the work that goes on in the infield and in the shops. This adds another level to the story as well as an element of mystery, especially when one team seems to find another 50 horsepower from out of nowhere and nobody can catch them for several races. The other aspect of the sport is the charity side of it. Lowes Motor Speedway as well as others have Speedways Children's Charities. The Petty family have been instrumental in the starting of Victory Junction Gang Childrens Camp, a place for seriously ill children to have a camp experience with no cost for the medical side. We may be rednecks, but we are very human and do enjoy our races and our children.

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    But apart from those few things you like it don't you?
    I enjoy the experience of driving fast myself, but have no particular interest in watching NASCAR or any endurance racing for that matter, be it bicycle, motorcycle, Grand Prix, Formula or any other sort of race. The moments of actual drama I find to be relatively rare. Maybe someone who really is into watching racing should volunteer what they enjoy about the experience....
    Same here. Golf and Nascar are about as much fun to watch as paint drying. In fact I've only gone to the Indy 500 time trials once ( a big thing in Indiana) and thought it totally stunk and was a complete waste of time and money.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nighthawk1959
    The thing is that peopla only see the cars go around on Sunday, not the work that goes on in the infield and in the shops. This adds another level to the story
    Sounds kind of like football.... I know lots of folks who are diehard football fans that seem to get into the whole back story as much if not more than watching the game itself. They watch all the pre-game shows, post-game shows, the next day analyses, participate in fantasy football leagues, tailgate, participate in online football forums - There can be alot more to the game than just the game.

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    In fact I've only gone to the Indy 500 time trials once ( a big thing in Indiana) and thought it totally stunk and was a complete waste of time and money.
    My brother went to the Indy 500 once and when he got back I asked him how he enjoyed the race. He says 'Oh yeah, the race. I saw part of it' Apparently, he spent the whole time partying it up and the race turned out to be a secondary thing to him (i.e. was more of an 'event' to him than a race). I have heard much the same about the Kentucky Derby. Can anyone confirm this whose been there in person?
    Last edited by Maister; 18 Nov 2004 at 1:32 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've never been to the race and never will go, but I'll admit I do enjoy the races if I stumble upon them on the tv.

I like the strategizing that goes on with the frontrunners and their pit crews in the final 100 laps or so: To pit or not to pit, that is the question. And, if to pit - can we do it fast enough?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    <snip>
    My brother went to the Indy 500 once and when he got back I asked him how he enjoyed the race. He says 'Oh yeah, the race. I saw part of it' Apparently, he spent the whole time partying it up and the race turned out to be a secondary thing to him (i.e. was more of an 'event' to him than a race). I have heard much the same about the Kentucky Derby. Can anyone confirm this whose been there in person?
    I've never been to the 500.

The Kentucky Derby is different. It's quite true that if you are among the 100,000 in the infield, you'll see some horse-flesh stomp by for a nano-second or so (provided you have not yet been incarcerated or have not yet passed out drunk). However, the seats in most of the Grandstands give an unobstructed view of the whole track. The lower seats in the homestretch have the advantage of seing the horses go by twice: the mile and 1/4 means the race starts behind the fourth turn then returns to cross the finish line. When 10 tons of horse flesh stomp by 100 feet away from you, you truly can feel it. All that said, the infield is my place for the Derby. If you like people-watching you will not be disappointed.
    Je suis Charlie

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Dec 2006, 6:23 PM
  2. NASCAR hero worship
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Aug 2005, 9:28 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 May 2005, 12:54 AM