Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sharing Independent Radio

Registered
    Oct 2003

Sharing Independent Radio

There is a local radio station here in Phoenix still owned by a person instead of a media conglomerate. They play alternative music and they have a declaration of principles on their website. They have started playing deeper tracks instead of singles and they play a little more 90's but not too much 80's alternative. They now have streaming audio for anyone who wants to give a listen.

Real Audio

Windows Media
    I had to edit out the java script so I think these will work okay. Sorry but it pops two windows one for the player and one for their webpage.

Anyone have good independent radio in their town?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We had one out where I lived for a while, but the FCC shut them down since they were operating illegally. It was a very weird station that played everything, including some of the really horrible local country music wannabes .

ClearChannel Communications is headquartered in the big city south of me; Need I say more.

Austin has a new station called BOB FM that I get a kick out of, though I don't know about its ownership. It plays everything except rap from the 1960s to today and does not utilize play lists, etc. Their saying is that they play everything from Bob's life. I can only pick it up when I'm headed that direction for night classes.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Well it is not an privately owned but

89.1 WIDR is operated by Western Michgian University and has about the same radio format.

I listen to it on occasion.

Our high school has a radio station that plays an incredibly diverse mix commercial free (okay, they mention sponsors about once an hour). I have it on one of my pre-sets, if I ever get the Isuzu back from the shop
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I feel very lucky to have a couple of indies** in the area. One is an NPR affiliate, the other is talk radio with a great morning call-in show that covers local goings on, including much planning and building stuff. The third is an all sports station that usually plays ESPN radio but covers the local sports scene with uncanny ferocity (high school volleyball tourney is talk of the town dontcha know).

**The latter two station mentioned above may, in fact, be owned by outside conglomorates but at least a portion of their programming is local and the radio stations actually have live people in them.

The two "alternative" rock stations in town pretty much blow as the music is piped in from who knows where. They'll play a decent Third Eye Blind song followed by a riduculous Journey or Bryan Adams tune.

Long live independent radio!!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 21 Jun 2011, 9:05 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Feb 2011, 5:07 PM
  3. Early career freelancing/independent consulting?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Jul 2010, 9:22 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 May 2006, 4:59 PM