Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Random Music Thoughts Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Random Music Thoughts Thread

Comments in another thread about the rock and roll group Boston got this ole' Bear thinking and recalling.....

Tom Sholz, the lead "electrician" from the group Boston, hailed from Toledo's ritzy suburb, Ottawa Hills. Tom is my age and we actually played some basketball together back in the high school days. I lived on East Lincolnshire, a street which runs into (indirectly) Ottawa Hills high School. Tom lived by the school and we'd get together with a group of guys and play basketball at the courts next to the football stadium (home of the "Green Bears").

When I refer to him as "lead electrician" it is because he was more than a musician. He changed the way music was blasted at us.

I never saw him again after those b-ball days and didn't even realize he was the person responsible for Boston's incredible sound until years later.

BTW.....his father was the person behind Sholz Homes, a major home builder in the Toledo area. The last I heard, Sholz was big out in the southwest.

More Than A Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The best concert I ever went to (music be damned, it was the experience) was Bob Seger in about 1972, when it started raining and the band threw tarps down to the crowd and there were huge clouds of pot creeping out from the tarps and the cops just kept patrolling, and ignoring.

My son likes pre-teen rap. One day I will need medication to deal with this.

Registered
    Jul 2002

tunes

I hitched from Ohio to Oregon in ''76. I went down the coast to Berkley. On the marque of the Keystone was "Jerry Garcia Band." Well, who could resist. Stood in line for about 2 hours paid 4 bucks and checked my backpack at the door. The place was like a big bar with a stage, almost a honky tonk. Jery came out with his band and a girl singer. Great music, and the "atmosphere" well you can imagine. At the end of a set, Jerry would walk down to the bar order a beer and BS with the patrons. Truely a cosmic experience.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Last summer I saw Pearl Jam three times in a span of nine days in Mansfield, MA. They played a total of 94 songs and only repeated one. Their goal was to play all the songs they were playing on the tour--105 of them (like snowflakes, no two setlists are the same). They fell a bit short. In order to come close, at the third show, they opened for their opening band--played a 12 song accustic set, then the opening band came on, then Pearl Jam until about 30 minutes past curfew--they took a bit of a fine for it.

Awsome. It makes me not want to go to shows for artists that play the same setlist night after night.
    Fighting congestion by widening roads is like fighting obesity by buying larger clothes.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Honestly, I've never been a Pearl Jam fan... but I did go to a Pearl Jam concert (a friend had a spare ticket). I came away very impressed. They are the only band I've seen that's been able to make a large concert venue feel like a small club. The performance seemed very natural and intimate. It was refreshing to just see a group of guys out there having a good time on stage as opposed to alot of the overly orchestrated stuff out there.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    That Ruben Stoddard dude is on the tube, singing some holiday songs. He has a strong voice but he sure is one (1) BMF.

Scale Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  2. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM