Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many will you gather with to celebrate

Registered
    Mar 2003

How many will you gather with to celebrate

Well my plans are coming along quite well after my funkdom was put behind me and I set out to find an invitation. Looks as if I will be going back home to Emporia. The clan will gather and like counting guppies I would have no way to estimate a count of those in attendance. 40-75
    Let me know how long your trip will be. Ours 1 1/2 hours.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    Let me know how long your trip will be.
    Mine = 5+ Hrs -- driving, flying, layover at O' Hare, flying (1 time zone change), driving.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I will be gathering with about fifteen. My traveling time will be an hour-and-a-half flight from Denver to Memphis, not counting the hour jump to Central time. Looking forward to it. NOT looking forward to the airport around the holidays.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Driving seven hours north to DC to see my brother who will then be driving us three hours further north to PA. All-in-all, it should be about 20-25 people in attendance.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'll be spending a day of giving thanks, watching football and indulging in too much food and booze at the home of my in-laws about an hour south of here. Mrs. biscuit has a very small extended family (One of the reasons we're here instead of closer to my large brood of relatives in the South) so there will only be about nine of us there for the day.

Fifteen minute drive. About 27 in attendance. My mother-in-law makes the best dumplings -- yumm!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We're hosting it this year (again), but it will be the smallest turnout we've had in years - only five people coming so far.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My two boys, myself and my parents...only 5 of us, smallest gathering in the past few years...and no travel time...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    A whopping 10 minute drive acorss town to my mom's house. I attendance will be 9 or so.

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to it. I always is kinda stressful because me and my brothers and sisters are all VERY different and often butt heads. Thankfully we'll have lots of wine to wash down the snacks, turkey and dessert.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My mom, my son and I are going to her country club (about 1/2 hr away) for Thanksgiving dinner. Just the 3 of us since my brother and his family are out of town.

Registered
    May 2003
    Probably about 30 people (we're Irish Catholic ) about 3.5 hours away by train.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Where do you put everyone?

I gotta ask, I've heard of big Thanksgiving celebrations but, holy cow, where do you put everyone.

Queen B = 40-75 guests
    Breed = 20-25
    Gedunker = expects around 27 and
    Jordanb = 30 people,

Where do you put all these people and how many turkey's do you eat.

I can't imagine all these people around. Do they come/eat in shifts?

I'm just amazed. I'll be eating with 9 and I thought that was a lot.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    My husband and I are driving 6 1/2 hours to Chicago for din-din with my family at my sister's. There will be between 15-20 of us. Her husband is a meat purveyor so we're having turkey, venison, and pheasant, along with a smorgasbord of other goodies. I'm wearin' my stretchy pants!

Registered
    May 2003
    We eat at my parent's house. They have a dining table that can seat about 7 people, For the rest, we move the furniture out of the living room and tables owned by the rest of the family are brought in and set up.

The cooking is all done on Thanksgiving Eve at my aunt's house, as she has a very large kitchen, except stuff that has to be made fresh (which is generally cooked in my parents' kitchen). An uncle has a huge boiler that my dad cooks the turkey in starting Thanksgiving morning. They also make a ham for extra meat.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Our 20-25 usually includes about 7-8 kids eating like birds at the kiddie table (I am so glad that I don't sit there anymore.) But we normally have two giant turkeys... one baked, one fried.

As far as logistics... air matresses and an RV make for ample sleeping arrangements... and we do make food runs in shifts. The kids go first, then adult group at one table and then adult group at another table.

We're all fairly casual about it. A formal dinner just wouldn't work.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I gotta ask, I've heard of big Thanksgiving celebrations but, holy cow, where do you put everyone.

Queen B = 40-75 guests
    Breed = 20-25
    Gedunker = expects around 27 and
    Jordanb = 30 people,

Where do you put all these people and how many turkey's do you eat.

I can't imagine all these people around. Do they come/eat in shifts?

I'm just amazed. I'll be eating with 9 and I thought that was a lot.
    We will be in a two bedroom bungalow. With a very small kitchen. We will be strung out all over and hanging off the porch, too! No way to seat everyone. It will be massive amounts of food served buffet style. By the time the first group eats the last of them will be through the line and then it will be time for dessert.

Add to that at least three dogs and a cat. Never a dull moment.

I have served 40 in the past. People are just everywhere. A lot of love going around.
    The kids screaming and chasing each other, the boys usually end up in a horse shoe match and everyone eats until they are miserable. Got to love it!

Oh you asked, two turkeys and two hams and everyone brings stuff.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Most likely, it will be me and hubby and the two kids (4 of us), like it has been every year in recent years. I grew up with the big family get togethers and it just isn't the same. But Mr. Zone is an extreme introvert and the kids are both introverts (but not as extreme).

Registered
    Aug 2004

Just the two of us . . .

Our first Thanksgiving as a married couple, so we're being isolationist and not going anywhere and no one is coming here.

This is the first time I'll cook a holiday meal . Just some turkey breast, stuffing, potatoes, a couple of veggies and the mandatory pumpkin pie. All amply supplied so that there are leftovers for the next day.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    When compared to those others (The Big Numbers Crowd) mine will be small --
    6 adults and 2 children.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    We'll have at least 6 together for Thanksgiving and an uncle and his family may stop by and perhaps my maternal grandparents and great aunt.

The annual family reunion on my paternal grandfather's side usually brings in 100 to 125 on Memorial Day.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    For many years it has been tradition, and MY favorite holiday, to have the gang over that includes my son and his family (4 total), his wife's mom and dad (2), his wife's sister (1), and my older brother and his family (4 total). With myself, Katie, and her son.....we would total about 14.

We would set-up a couple big tables in the combo-living-dining area with all the settings. We would put the food on separate tables and counters and let everybody go grab what they want and return to the table.

Food would include traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed taters, peas. I would also cook a couple ducks (for me, by bro, and my son). We also would get a huge Honeybaked Ham (with world HQ of HBH in suburban Toledo). Every year also includes famous chocolate wafer icebox cake (with fresh whipping cream), pumpkin pie, and anything that the guests bring....and they always bring all kinds of stuff.

My stuffing is the best in the world. No brag.....just fact.

Alas......the original plans called for me to be in the second day of my bone marrow transplant on Thanksgiving Day. So we called everybody up and, to their dismay, cancelled the event.

Now, my BMSCT plans are in limbo as they try to figure out what's wrong with my bone marrow's ability to produce stem cells. Everybody has already made other plans.....so the Bear and his family will have a quiet Turkey Day. I'll still cook a bird.....this time, a small one (1). I'll still make my world-famous stuffing. I'll still watch football.

Gonna be a weird Thanksgiving.

Nothing Says Lovin' Like Bear In The Oven
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wasn't going to respond in this thread for the fear of killing it, but then I figured, what the he!!. I'll be by myself on T-Day for the first time in my life. This is actually a good thing since I'm about 3,500 miles from the adultress...and it's a bad thing since I'm about 3,500 miles from my two sons. The first time I in my life that won't be eating turkey since I was able to eat solid food. I'm not looking for pity, so don't respond. I'll be house sitting at the house I'm hoping to buy soon. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
    RJ
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I wasn't going to respond in this thread for the fear of killing it, but then I figured, what the he!!. I'll be by myself on T-Day for the first time in my life. This is actually a good thing since I'm about 3,500 miles from the adultress...and it's a bad thing since I'm about 3,500 miles from my two sons. The first time I in my life that won't be eating turkey since I was able to eat solid food. I'm not looking for pity, so don't respond. I'll be house sitting at the house I'm hoping to buy soon. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
    RJ
    I made my turkey today. On Thanksgiving day I hope to be on a trail eating leftovers.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    As predicted, I killled this one. I'm sorry. Put a "X" on this mod. I'll be better in the future, I promise.
    It's touch and go...oh, oh, oh.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    RJ
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, my man.....and if.....wait a minute.....treaty is off.....

When I get well I will head for "2 blocks from the beach", grab that there round thing that you see bouncing at Piston-Pacer games (no not the fans heads), and show you what turkey really means. You will be "stuffed", so you won't need a Thanksgiving....you will be giving thanks that you only played The Bear two (2) out of (3).

Bear A Year Away From Creating "Jake & Bake"
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Celebrate Earth Day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 23 Apr 2014, 1:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Jun 2011, 6:49 AM
  3. Replies: 60