Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moving Offices

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Moving Offices

Well, the week after Thanksgiving, we are moving offices (across the hall) and I must pack today as I have only one day here next week.

I have been here 6 months, and this will be my second move. It seems pretty strenuous but it is fun to see some of the ancient things people are finding.
    (5.5" diskettes for example)

Anyone have any office mmoving stories/support/funny anecdotes?

There is no more work to do today but pack.... and check on Cyburbia of course.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    In a couple weeks, I'll be moving into my 7th office in 9 years here, so I can sympathize.

A few years back, prior to an office move, another planner I went to the office of a planner who was way too attached to his office, and starting measuring and making notes, then walked out. He went to his boss and went nuts. She had to call our boss up to explain we were just kidding. Loved yanking that boy's chain.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    In a couple weeks, I'll be moving into my 7th office in 9 years here, so I can sympathize.

A few years back, prior to an office move, another planner I went to the office of a planner who was way too attached to his office, and starting measuring and making notes, then walked out. He went to his boss and went nuts. She had to call our boss up to explain we were just kidding. Loved yanking that boy's chain.
    You didn't take his red Swingline stapler, did you?

It was kind of an adventure when we moved from our old office in a strip center to the new place. Didn't find any artifacts, but did find the mousetrap!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

I've been the mover (literally) and the moved. Either way, it's no fun until you get settled in. Good luck!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I just moved to the cubical next door. The guy that left had been gone for maybe 2 years and I and the rest of the office had not cleaned it out unitl I had to move.

This guy KEPT EVERYTHING and multiple copies. I found paperwork for one project in 5 different places, no joke.

He was so unorganized when he was here and I didn't know why. Always saying he know where things were and then he would look for it for 20 minutes before he would get the what I requested.

Boy I'm glad he is gone.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm moving offices, along with my newly hired planner, in a week or two. Although I wanted to move for a while due to poor office space configuration, it was brought to immediacy due to some personnel conflicts which dont need to be discussed.

Add to that, we are likely moving out of our building to a larger facility in the next few month, and you quickly learn not to get atteched to your environment.

Registered
    Mar 2004

A 4' x 6' cubicle is in my near future.....

AND I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.......the one is concerned about a lack of counter space and space in general, not to mention the low value placed on planning types....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Late next year I will be moving into a second story corner office. WOOHOO !!!!! I will be able to open the windows and spit on the sidewalk below. Or better yet, I could hang the hog.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I just moved to the cubical next door. The guy that left had been gone for maybe 2 years and I and the rest of the office had not cleaned it out unitl I had to move.

This guy KEPT EVERYTHING and multiple copies. I found paperwork for one project in 5 different places, no joke.

He was so unorganized when he was here and I didn't know why. Always saying he know where things were and then he would look for it for 20 minutes before he would get the what I requested.

Boy I'm glad he is gone.
    That sounds like my office. Of course, if and when I do leave, I plan on having the decency to clean up the office a bit.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I wish I could move to another cubicle... I have what could be considered a cave with cubicle walls. That is the one thing I miss from the City of Reading. We had big drafting tables with a full desk, and redwood shelves, and 3ft walls. They were big, open, and well lit.

I need a corner office in a historic building on the top floor with large windows.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I wish I could move to another cubicle... I have what could be considered a cave with cubicle walls. That is the one thing I miss from the City of Reading. We had big drafting tables with a full desk, and redwood shelves, and 3ft walls. They were big, open, and well lit.

I need a corner office in a historic building on the top floor with large windows.

Are you sure that is really the reason??

Sure it is not your neighbor

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Our office is a converted mall. We do actually have offices, but it's a good walk to the nearest window. I do have a window fashioned out of foamboard that sits on my wall, but it's just not the same. We've often joked about putting in a periscope in the office so we can check on the weather.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sheesh, I've had tiny cubes, cubes with a wall of windows, 2 private offices with private potties, now sharing with a landscape arch with the mind of a kid, and moving into an enormous, windowless cube. No privacy. I'm not a happy camper.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I was moved as a part of "Phase 1" yesterday. Nice office, and a little larger on the desk space than the last one. New veiw too. I am looking west toward the mountains.

I also get a drawing table too, sometime this week. (They are held up b/c of our huge snow storm)

But I guess I have to get to work now, but I will still milk the "We're moving offices" excuse all week.

<still a lot of noise and acitivity due to "Phase 2 & 3" as the rest of my coworkers move>

To have a Bear-like finish:

Z Man ducking low, blocking out the noise...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Two years ago we built a brand new City Hall. We were right downtown on the main road, now we are a block north. Very nice facilities.

The old City Hall was about 100 years old and we found lots of fun stuff while packing

We have all new furniture, file cabinets, everything, so nothing like that came over. I had to pack up my whole department (files, computer, etc.) and DMS moved it all over here, then I had to unpack.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 10 Mar 2014, 12:45 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 30 Jan 2013, 6:47 PM
  3. Effect of closing post offices?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 29 Oct 2011, 1:31 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 05 Aug 2005, 3:38 PM