Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2 planning boards -- 1 jurisdiction

Registered
    May 2004

2 planning boards -- 1 jurisdiction

Is anyone familiar with an example of two planning boards for one jursidiction? Each board will handle a specific geographical area within the jurisdiction, both working with the same code of ordinances.

Anyone seen such a circumstance? --

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Sort of. Phoenix is comprised of villages that have specific geographic areas. They have thier own village commissions, but their cases are forwarded to the city wide P&Z board or the Zoning Hearing Officer for action.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I have a planning commission for the entire county, then individual zoning boards for each jurisdiction. What is your question?

Registered
    May 2004

it seemed unusual

No, this is one jurisdiction -- two P&Z boards. One P&Z is for a barrier island, the second for the mainland -- but both in the same county jurisdiction -- no municipalities.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Winnebago County/Towns share a zoning code. One has a planning and zoning committee, the other a town planning commission. County has authority, but the Towns have the right to enforce the entire code and has specific autonomy with in two special zoning districts. Does that help?
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    San Antonio is looking at creating what amounts to as a seperate P&Z for their "Southside Initiative". I believe that would qualify as having two Commissions in a single city.

I don't see anything wrong with having seperate Commissions for different parts of the city/county, particularly in the case of barrier island v. mainland since they have substatially different characteristics and issues.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The City of Los Angeles has several Planning Commissions that each take separate actions, but I believe that they all use the same basic Zoning Ordinance.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Jan 2010, 2:09 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Jan 2008, 10:36 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Nov 2007, 9:36 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Oct 2007, 12:45 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Jan 2003, 8:34 PM