Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Geography Olympics

Registered
    Aug 2002

Geography Olympics

Has anyone else tried the Geography Olympics yet? It seems perfect for this audience.

http://www.geographyolympics.com/challenge.php

I scored 50% on my first try...

Hopefully I will do better next time!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    90%... F-ing Mauritania.... Quiote a cool quiz

Edit... Holy sh*t... Chile's average before me was 44.824%; and thanks to me it's 44.937%.... Ah... ignorants... I'll take it again just to bump a bit more the average.....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Your Score - 80.00%
    United States's Previous Score - 53.921%
    United States's New Score - 53.931%

Your impact: Congrats, you have increased your country's score by 0.010%

Confused Syria for Jordan ... c'mon, with all that's going on in the Middle East, I should have gotten that.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I got an 80% and then a 90%... didn't know where Holy See was...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    100% baby!!!
    Helped raise Pennsylvania's score from 69.179% to 69.274%

Although, I have to admit that the ones I got were pretty easy like Japan, Greece and Costa Rica. The only one that almost got me was Senegal.

90% both times.

My weakness is Oceana. Fiji and Palau were missed.

Edit: On the third try, I got 90% again. This time I confused Tajikstan with Uzbekistan.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Took it again. My quiz has seven small African countries on it. Not biggies like Nigeria, South Africa, or even Namibia or Ethiopia, but the obscure nations like Sierra Leone, Burundi and Burkina Faso. WTF? You know how easy it is to get Swaziland and Lethoso confused? I'm afraid to take it again, for fear that I'll get a bunch of Stans.

I think the US are getting hard countries on purpose. I bet if I entered "Spain," which ranks on top, I'd be getting countries like Australia, Russia, Canada and China.

I just took the test as Samoa, ranked #16. I got France, South Korea, Seychelles, US, Luxemborg, Taiwan, Somalia, Norway, Finland and Argentina. No Stans. No little countries along the northwest African coast. No little Pacific micronations.

Let's try the US again. UAE, Bahamas, Tunisia, Armenia, China, Tuvalu, Marshall Islands, Kyrgyzstan, Solomon Islands. China was just a gimme to make me think it was fair. Three Pacific island micronations and a Stan. THE GEOGRAPHY QUIZ CHEATS AGAINST AMERICANS! I think.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Ouch... geography is supposedly one of my strengths... but damn.

50% I had some obscure ones though. Eight of my ten were African. Guess I need to work on those countries some.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, I scored a walloping 40%. I am bringing down both the U.S. and California. Now everyone else can feel competent relative to moi.

YOUR RESULTS!!

Your Score 40.00%
    United States's Previous Score 53.824%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

United States's New Score 53.821%

Your impact:
    Unfortunately, you have decreased your country's score by 0.003%

YOUR STATE RESULTS!!

Your Score 40.00%
    California's Previous Score 61.428%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California's New Score 61.406 %

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Swaziland? Malta? You gotta be kidding me.

Your Score 70.00%
    United States's Previous Score 53.901%

United States's New Score 53.905%

Your impact:
    Congrats, you have increased your country's score by 0.004%

YOUR STATE RESULTS!!

Your Score 70.00%
    Missouri's Previous Score 75.664%

Missouri's New Score 75.650 %

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Heh.. I bumped down Ukraine a bit...

I can't believe Chile is down in place 170... with 44.975... with only 402 participants.... well at least better than sweden that's 172 with 44.671 and 51094 participants!
    I took one for NJ and I got like 60%... I even got afghanistan and some easy ones... but I got a few african countries that are totally unknown...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    100% the first time I took it.
    Then I got uppity and proceeded to get a 90% and an 80% (damn, Burkina Faso)!!!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Fun.....

Yeah, I tried the quiz and got 100%, the toughest country was Bhutan and easiest was the USA . I used to be very good at Political/Physical geography (all countries/capitals/all states of USSR and China with regional cities and so on....) along with water/mountains/islands and all......but since going into planning I've slipped a little in my place name knowledge... My wife just got me a book called 1000 places to visit before you die.....on one hand, I've already seen a couple dozen of the places listed, but then there's the other 960 or so...
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm going out on a limb here and quessing that this isn't the most scientific of contests, considering that the top scoring states in the US are New Mexico, South Carolina and Missouri. Not exactly three places usually known for their academic prowess.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I go 60% the first time.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Started off horribly with a 50%, but improved with a 80, 70 & 90 percent (unfortunately the 90% didn't contribute to the day's score - limit of 3 per day). US is pretty bad it seems, around 54% - my state of Georgia is right there, probably keeping the country's average down.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I'm going out on a limb here and quessing that this isn't the most scientific of contests, considering that the top scoring states in the US are New Mexico, South Carolina and Missouri. Not exactly three places usually known for their academic prowess.
    Shhhh... don't tell anyone else about it. My guess is the only SC people using this are all geography students at USC.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    80% I really need to work on Africa.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Did anyone else get "Congo"... but picked "Democratic Republic of Congo"? I didn't even know there were two! D'oh!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit

And that's after I brought down SC's score with a pedestrian performance.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    Shhhh... don't tell anyone else about it. My guess is the only SC people using this are all geography students at USC.
    Or maybe USC just found an activity that the football team could actually compete in.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    30% D'oh

I was befuddled by the likes of Tonga, Krgyzek-something, Bhutan, and others. I've really got to get out of this country more.......

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Winter Olympics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 140
    Last post: 10 Mar 2010, 8:36 PM
  2. Chicago and the Olympics
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 2:31 AM
  3. Olympics and War?
    Friday Afternoon Club