Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: America's Safest (and Most Dangerous) Cities

Registered
    Apr 2003

America's Safest (and Most Dangerous) Cities

Well, Kalamazoo area is not on list, but Reading PA is 6th for its group... I am shocked that it did that well.

where does your city rate?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Don't most smaller northern/northeastern cities do well? I've read before that places like Scranton/Wilkes Barre and York are relatively "safe."

Because of their stagnant (relatively) economies, most residents may be long term families. The may be "poor," but are the social pathologies common to rapidly changing/growing Sunbelt cities less significant?

Registered
    May 2004
    I noticed St Louis is right up there with the best of them......I'll have to think twice the next time I bid a job over there......."Not" , I have nail guns, I wonder if the criminal will give me time to plug in my compressor?

Bob

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Peoria isn't on the list, even though is often one of the "top 5" most dangerous in Illinois.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I am happy that Detroit is no longer #1 on the bad list.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Oh, come on, some of these places don't technically qualify as "cities." Should suburbs count?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow... what's up with Fairbanks, Alaska? I would have never thought that the metro area would be ranked as the 4th WORST. Anyone know what caused that ranking?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Wow... what's up with Fairbanks, Alaska? I would have never thought that the metro area would be ranked as the 4th WORST. Anyone know what caused that ranking?
    22 HOURS OF DARKNESS. Probably a high unattached male-to-female ratio. Add lots of alcohol. Just speculating.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    22 HOURS OF DARKNESS. Probably a high unattached male-to-female ratio. Add lots of alcohol. Just speculating.
    Hmmmm... still seems a little worse than expected. Then I saw that they include vehicle thefts. That may be some of it. People actually keep their cars running in the winter, even when they get out of their cars and go inside to go shopping or something. Lots of winter vehicle thefts I would assume (if it's anything like Edmonton). Any Alaskans out there know the definitive answer on this one?

Just like UC Davis had the highest campus crime rate in the UC system when I went to school there, but it was almost all bicycle thefts from people not locking them properly. s

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Glasshouse
    I noticed St Louis is right up there with the best of them......I'll have to think twice the next time I bid a job over there......."Not" , I have nail guns, I wonder if the criminal will give me time to plug in my compressor?

Bob
    This is surprising to me, I live in St. Louis and there are a few places that do not feel safe but I just can't see the entire City of St. Louis fallin gunder this catagory. North St. Louis is scary but a lot of the other areas are under redevelopment. I suppose the crime in North St. Louis, however could be bad enough to rank the entire city.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I am happy that Detroit is no longer #1 on the bad list.
    Actually, it depends on which bad list you are referring to. It ranked #2 on the Top 25 Metro Area Overall, but was #1 in the most dangerous cities with a population of 500,000+ -- and the Detroit-LIvonia-Dearborn area was #1 most dangerous on a metro area list.

I have to fly thru Detroit on Wed. and just pray I don't get stuck there....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    Actually, it depends on which bad list you are referring to. It ranked #2 on the Top 25 Metro Area Overall, but was #1 in the most dangerous cities with a population of 500,000+ -- and the Detroit-LIvonia-Dearborn area was #1 most dangerous on a metro area list.

I think that Detroit gets a bad rap. May parts of the city are much better than they use to be. It is not where it was though. I remember when I was little my grandfather would tell me stories about when he was a fireman in downtown Detroit, and all the crazy, but fun stuff. I think that the biggest problem with Detroit is that most people who live there just don't care.

Unless you’re at a basket ball game, you’re safe.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Well, Kalamazoo area is not on list, but Reading PA is 6th for its group... I am shocked that it did that well.

where does your city rate?
    #1 safest metro, and several other nearby metros are also in that top 25.

There is nowhere in the Appleton/Oshkosh/Northeast Wisconsin area where I don't feel completely safe 24/7.

The only thing that I can think of that contributes to it, besides a flavorfull, easy-going local culture, is the fact that to enter northeast Wisconsin, one must make a concious decision to come into the area. There are no 'passing through' corridors between other large metro areas up here (the closest, I-94, is at least a 1:30 drive away).

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I think its interesting that the city that is #4 in the 75K to 99K list, Trenton NJ, shares a border with Hamilton, NJ, #15 of the safest. When you concentrate the poverty and actively police the border, that is what you get. What these statistics fail to reveal is that much of the crime is poor-on-poor. I would bet that in all of these cities are neighborhoods where you are as safe as in the outlying suburbs. There is no reason to be afraid of the airport in Detroit. Airports are now one of the most actively policed environments we have. If you get stuck in the city, just be aware of where you're going.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    I think its interesting that the city that is #4 in the 75K to 99K list, Trenton NJ, shares a border with Hamilton, NJ, #15 of the safest. When you concentrate the poverty and actively police the border, that is what you get. What these statistics fail to reveal is that much of the crime is poor-on-poor. I would bet that in all of these cities are neighborhoods where you are as safe as in the outlying suburbs. There is no reason to be afraid of the airport in Detroit. Airports are now one of the most actively policed environments we have. If you get stuck in the city, just be aware of where you're going.

It's so true. I grew up within 2-3 miles on Camden, NJ (#1 worse) and we would leave our doors unlocked once or twice a week. My parents still don't always lock the doors. The crime is very isolated and poor-on-poor.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    On this issue of the connection between poverty and crime, anyone else notice that the #2 safest city with a population over 500,000 is El Paso. This is striking, because it is a pretty poor city, mostly Hispanic, with a large immigrant population. Pretty strong evidence that immigrants/Hispanics demonstrably do not equate to crime, as some commentators and politicians imply, and some good indicators for the future of the country as a whole.

These sorts of rankings are bound to mislead. I don't want to dismiss poor on poor crime as irrelevant (it certainly is not), but most people, even city dwellers, who look up crime and poverty statistics are not living in neighborhoods that are particularly subject to crime. A comparison of crime levels in middle income neighborhoods of big cities would be interesting. That way we would be comparing apples and apples -- not Cary, NC and Camden, NJ.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    For the past several years, Amherst, NY (often know to cyburbanites as Swampherst) was the #1 overall safest city even though it is a town and a suburb of Buffalo. The interesting thing about this ranking is that Amherst had one murder this past year and that alone knocked it down two slots. At least they can't constantly brag about it anymore. Swampherst
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2002
    Hollow, inconsistent, unreliable, flawed and misleading information. These figures to not take into account the varying physical size of cities nor the demographic dynamics within them. Many big cities have huge physical boundaries, comprising highly suburban areas, thereby skewing the numbers. Other cities, such as Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Philly, etc. have comparitively small city boundaries, which are 100% urban in look, feel and demographic makeup. These numbers also do not account for the disproportionate number of crimes committed in certain portions of cities. For instance, in most cities, the VAST majority of violent crimes are concentrated in only a few zip codes, but since the stats only come from simple division, a city with many crimes in one neighborhood and relatively low crime in others can look like a dangerous place on paper.

You can never put too much faith into crime statistics for cities. St. Louis is as safe as any major city in the United States. If you live here, you know where to go and where not to go. Every city has its good areas and bad areas.
    ST. LOUIS: The City is Back. Back the City.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I just saw a press release on some organization's list of safest/most dangerous cities. The city I work for was ranked safest. *yawn*

NEWTON, Mass. --Low crime rates and no murders earned this city the title of the nation's safest for the second year in a row, according to a company's annual survey.

"Newton outshines other cities when it comes to fighting crime," said Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press, which publishes "City Crime Rankings," an annual reference book to be released Monday. The ranking is based on crime statistics provided to the FBI in six categories including murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and car theft. In this year's survey, 369 cities were considered.

The ranking also listed the nation's most dangerous cities. The former industrial city of Camden, N.J., got the top spot. Springfield, Mass., was No. 19 and Hartford, Conn., was No. 23.

Registered
    Aug 2001

If you fly into Detroit Metro Airport (DTW), you will be in Romulus, not the city of Detroit. There are plenty of hotels in Romulus, and if you don't like that option, rent a car and drive west on I-94 and stay in Ann Arbor.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hey if you're flying NWA or Continental, you'll be landing at one of the nicest terminals in the country.

I think the fact that Detroit and Flint always score high on these is based in economics -- Skiis, Jive and others have it right. The eroding manufacturing base, the fact that the City is landlocked, and perceptions have a lot to do with how it scores badly. Everyone assumes Detroit will score bad, so no one does normalizing of scores in a way that benefits the City.

I just find it funny that there are so many afraid of a City where 99 percent of the people you meet are friendly and hospitable. Is it run down in parts? Certainly, but the same can be said of New York, Chicago, and LA.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Baltimore is #3 on list for most dangeours for cities for 500K population.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    If you fly into Detroit Metro Airport (DTW), you will be in Romulus...
    eek....Romulus......
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    San Antonio both come in the Top 10 safest for 500,000+ population. I must live in a safe area!

Sadly, Victoria, TX, is No. 9 on the metro areas list for most dangerous. This place barely qualifies as a metro area and it still comes in that high. It has a gigantic gang problem coupled with race & poverty issues. All in all not a good situation. My parents live there now and are friends with the County Sheriff that was just elected there. He is working his ass off to fix things, but it's a pretty steep climb.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Quote Originally posted by Kovanovich
    On this issue of the connection between poverty and crime, anyone else notice that the #2 safest city with a population over 500,000 is El Paso. This is striking, because it is a pretty poor city, mostly Hispanic, with a large immigrant population. Pretty strong evidence that immigrants/Hispanics demonstrably do not equate to crime, as some commentators and politicians imply, and some good indicators for the future of the country as a whole.
    No, if anything, immigrants are exactly what could turn around cities like Detroit and Camden and Gary. In the 80s and 90s these cities bled both their white and black population. Fresh faces are needed.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 130
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 1:16 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Aug 2011, 6:12 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 3:38 AM
  4. America's most drunk cities
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 14