Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hotmail and Yahoo (was: Yahoo Mail experiment)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Hotmail and Yahoo (was: Yahoo Mail experiment)

I'm experimenting with ways to get Cyburbia Forums confirmation messages past Yahoo spam filters.

I would like a volunteer or three out there who have a Yahoo Mail account that haven't been used to register on the Cyburbia forums (i.e. NOT a user that is registered with a grandfathered Yahoo Mail account).

What you should do is ..

1) Log out of the Cyburbia Forums, and go to the Cyburbia Forums main page.

2) Visit the registration page.

3) Register an account using a yahoo.com e-mail address. Again, the address should not have been used to register to the Cyburbia Forums in the past. The yahoo.com e-mail account you're using should not be full.

Ignore the warnings on the registration page about Yahoo Mail accounts being prohibited; I'm allowing them for the next few days for this experiment. Use the word "yahoo" somewhere in the Cyburbia Forums username (i.e. yahooplanner, yahootest, etc.)

4) Wait a few minutes.

5) Check your Yahoo mailbox for the confirmation e-mail.

6) If it's not there, check your spam box..

7) Post the results here. Is the confirmation e-mail in your regular box, your spam box, or nowhere? Please be honest.

I will waive the anti-sockpuppet rule for those participating in the experiment; just don't post with the new Cyburbia Forums account. They'll be deleted in a few days, anyhow.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    I'm experimenting with ways to get Cyburbia Forums confirmation messages past Yahoo spam filters.

I would like a volunteer or three out there who have a Yahoo Mail account that haven't been used to register on the Cyburbia forums (i.e. NOT a user that is registered with a grandfathered Yahoo Mail account).

What you should do is ..

1) Log out of the Cyburbia Forums, and go to the Cyburbia Forums main page.

2) Visit the registration page.

3) Register an account using a yahoo.com e-mail address. Again, the address should not have been used to register to the Cyburbia Forums in the past. The yahoo.com e-mail account you're using should not be full.

Ignore the warnings on the registration page about Yahoo Mail accounts being prohibited; I'm allowing them for the next few days for this experiment. Use the word "yahoo" somewhere in the Cyburbia Forums username (i.e. yahooplanner, yahootest, etc.)

4) Wait a few minutes.

5) Check your Yahoo mailbox for the confirmation e-mail.

6) If it's not there, check your spam box..

7) Post the results here. Is the confirmation e-mail in your regular box, your spam box, or nowhere? Please be honest.

I will waive the anti-sockpuppet rule for those participating in the experiment; just don't post with the new Cyburbia Forums account. They'll be deleted in a few days, anyhow.
    Dan,
    It worked just fine. I had to create a new account and it went straight to the in box. (Sadly, though I thought I had a couple of open email accounts that I found out were closed.) But your experiment worked just fine.
    QB

Registered
    Mar 2003
    But welcome/confirmation came back to the new bulk account.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    But welcome/confirmation came back to the new bulk account.
    I'm confused. Did the confirmation go to the bulk box, the welcome message, or both?

I edited the stock vBulletin confirmation message to remove words and phrases that trigger point-based spam filters. (click here, to be removed, etc.)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    The confirmation hit my inbox
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2003
    1st message
    Member activation hit -Inbox
    2nd message
    Welcome hit - Bulk
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Can you post the welcome mail message? I'm trying to find it in the vBulletin settings.

Edit: never mind: I think I found it. I changed it a little bit.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I just clicked the activation link and the welcome mail hit my inbox
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Both messages hit my Inbox at Yahoo.

~GeogPlanner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Thanks for your help!

Since the modified e-mails seem to be getting through, I'm allowing new user registration from Yahoo again. If there are problems in the future, though, either with bouncing e-mail or spamming, banning new yahoo.com registrations will be resumed.

If you're registered with an address that isn't from yahoo.com, and you want to change it to a Yahoo address, please don't. I'm not convinced all the kinks are worked out yet, but I do want to open the gates a little.

I'm not quite ready to permit Hotmail registration. Problems not only included confirmation and welcome e-mail getting bounced, but also full mailboxes.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    New user registration is allowed from Hotmail accounts again.

As with Yahoo accounts, if there are problems in the future with bouncing e-mail or spamming, hotmail.com will be added back to the list of e-mail addresses that can't be used to register.

If you're registered with an address that isn't from Hotmail, and you want to change it to a Hotmail address, please don't. I'm not sure all the kinks are worked out yet.

Also, many Cyburbia users have Gmail invitations to offer other users. If you want one, just ask in this forum.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 9:59 PM
  2. Boohoo on Yahoo
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Apr 2006, 8:59 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Sep 2005, 1:48 PM
  4. Hotmail, Yahoo, et al
    Cyburbia Issues and Help