Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: (other) Thanksgiving Traditions

Registered
    Feb 2004

(other) Thanksgiving Traditions

OK OK, lots of family/friends gather to eat turkey, drink booze and watch football. What other Thanksgiving traditions do you have? And don't assume its too obvious to mention - I don't remember who it was but someone said they decorated the Xmas tree after feasting....I'd never heard that one before. My wife has an unusual tradition where even though she is usually the one who cooks the feast she gives some small ceramics that she painted to all the adult guests that show up as a sort of 'thank you for coming'. We also watch the Macy's parade on tv - but I'll bet some others watch it in person (after all, there are thousands of spectators)
    Last edited by Maister; 22 Nov 2004 at 9:37 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No real unusual traditions here. Growing up we always watched the parade in the morning and would decorate the house for Christmas. However, if one of the family dinners was being held at our house we would wait until the day after Thanksgiving to put up the tree. It's a fun tradition in memeory, but the reality was often me lugging box after box of decorations down the steps to the family room, putting everything up bacause I'm by far the tallest in the family and then carrying the empty boxes back upstairs. One relaxing point of the day would be where I'd take a long, solitary walk in the woods to gather holly and shoot mistletoe out of the trees.

We'll be at my in-laws for Thanksgiving this year, so it'll bethe food, booze and football holiday. Next year will be spent with my family and their hokey traditions.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    We have inter-family games... usually either touch football or street hockey (without skates). My family used to always win, but now that other side's kids are now all freakishly good athletes, the sides are starting to tip. Something I figured out about getting old: experience and cheap shots will beat out talent and skill 75% of the time.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    We'll be at my in-laws for Thanksgiving this year.....
    This is one tradition I'm glad to have gotten behind me - before we started hosting all the thanksgiving dinners, we used to eat one meal at my parents place @ 1:00 and eat a second meal at the in-laws @ 5:00. I can't tell you how much grief we got from my in-laws about how we would always eat the 'real' dinner at my parents house and would "insult them by picking at their lousy food when we ate there". Getting ill from overeating was therefore obligatory in order to keep the peace!

Oh yeah, there's one more T-day tradition I'm sure no one else ever did ....the annual family fight. Anyone remember what their favorite knock-down-drag-out was about?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Dinner at my house lasts for a few hours just because you get everyone in one room, with food and drinks, it becomes a fun time real quick. No real traditions though. This will be my first Thanksgiving at home in several years.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My Pops and I usually smoke a whole turkey starting at about 9am, drink beer and watch football the rest of the day.
    We have 2 kinds of stuffing, a regular and a Southwestern one which has some spice to it and is really good.
    We also cook another turkey in the oven for authenic gravy and lots of tasty leftovers.
    My Mother starts the Christmas music early as well that day, and we finish the meal with a Christmas movie, coffee and/or Crown Royal....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Oh yeah, there's one more T-day tradition I'm sure no one else ever did ....the annual family fight. Anyone remember what their favorite knock-down-drag-out was about?
    Actually, we enjoy the entertainment from my cousin's other side of the family. They are a bunch of Jersey rednecks. There's a unemployed alcoholic truck driver who's been living off of disability for years, the gay accountant with AIDS from New York, the chain-smoking leather-faced sister, the three-kids-in-three-different-marriages sister with kids who cuss like sailors (You haven't lived until you've heard a five year-old tell you to "Go f*** yourself!," the forty-year old brother who still lives at home with Mom, and my cousin the middle management guy (the normal one.)

Each year, we have a fun story. It usually involves the exploits of the unemployed guy. One year, in a drunken stupor he smashed a neighbor's car with his car door repeatedly because he parked too close (my cousin ended up paying $500 in damages). One time he got in a profanity-laced tirade with a child. One time in the annual football game, he pushed his own five-year old daughter down to catch a ball because she "can't catch a damn thing." One year, he took verbally berated the gay accountant (who cooks like Emeril) into letting him take over the mashed potatoes... and proceeded to make them taste like wallpaper paste.

There are rumors that he won't be there this year. We might get really bored.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yummy Yumsters....

Can you tell I saw Sponge Bob the movie this weekend....

I'm going to eat turkey like theres no tomorrow.... and pumpkin pie too.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The men watch football and drink beer until the food is served by the women folk. Then the men do all of the dishes. Then both the men and women in our family play penny-nickle-dime (depression) poker and talk smack on each other like only the full and slightly drunk Irish can. Then we have coffee and dessert that is served by both the men and the women.

Before anybody gets all "gender role this and gender oppressionthat" we tried the integration move back in the 80's and everyone hated it and agreed to go back to the old roles. PS all the women have at least a BS. Most have MA's. So we aren't talking little NASCAR brides being oppressed.

However, personally I've always enjoyed hanging out in the kitchen far more than watching football. The men have learned to accept that I'm different. Now when they start talking about football I mention the Tour De France. That shuts them right up.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    However, personally I've always enjoyed hanging out in the kitchen far more than watching football. The men have learned to accept that I'm different. Now when they start talking about football I mention the Tour De France. That shuts them right up.
    Unless the Denver Broncos are playing the perennial Thanksgiving teams, I tend to stay in the kitchen helping Mom cook, and peek in from time to time on the game.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    TDay starts with a backcountry skiing trip. I could care less about the NFL, but college football is a different story. Most college games seemed to be played the day after Tday.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Every other year, when we do Thanksgiving at my brother's house, we spend most of the day outside on their 10 acres. Driving the ATV, shooting, driving golf balls, feeding the horses next door, sometimes swimming, and usually the kids eat outside. His father-in-law turns on football games but nobody else watches. His mother in law makes a horrible pumpkin chiffon pie that I won't touch.

Alternate years, it's mom, the kid, and me, and we've spent the day at Sea World, gone to a movie, started X-mas decorating, etc, wherever the spirit sends us.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cololi
    .... but college football is a different story. Most college games seemed to be played the day after Tday.
    My favorite is COLORADO vs. Nebraska.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Poker. After the table is cleared and before dinner we play 0.25 ante poker. $1.00 max bet, 3x max raises. Pots tend to run about $90 each so make sure you get to the bank Wednesday and get your quarter rolls.

Oh, and no mercy, except we do take checks. For a while in the 1990's my dad ran his own consulting business, and he would cash advance people on their visa or master card as well.

EDIT: And this tradition hs been around 40 years before ESPN made poker cool.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Poker. After the table is cleared and before dinner we play 0.25 ante poker. $1.00 max bet, 3x max raises. Pots tend to run about $90 each so make sure you get to the bank Wednesday and get your quarter rolls.

Oh, and no mercy, except we do take checks. For a while in the 1990's my dad ran his own consulting business, and he would cash advance people on their visa or master card as well.

EDIT: And this tradition hs been around 40 years before ESPN made poker cool.
    My 11 year old would love that. My 88-year old mom has been teaching him poker. Gawd.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is not a family gathering until at least one person is brought to tears.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    One of the traditions the kids always had at thanksgiving was to go climb up the "slack pile" that was just down the street from my aunts house.

In central Illinois, small towns only existed to mine coal in the late 1800s/1900s, so each town is pretty much guaranteed to have at least one of these 200 ft tall "mountains of the midwest."

The view from the top of these things are amazing, since the countryside is so flat and treeless.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    My parents make homemade Polish sausage at the next door neighbor's house every Thanksgiving and mom always comes home a little sauced. Wine is consumed and football on TV, fire in the fireplace...it's a great holiday at my house.

Usually a group will go to the movies that night but I'm usually in a food coma and just lounge around in something with an elastic wasteband...

I haven't seen my family in 8 months and am flying home tomorrow -- very excited!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    we've spent the day at Sea World, gone to a movie, started X-mas decorating, etc, wherever the spirit sends us.
    I forgot about the entertainment thing. I suppose the idea of seeing a movie would be pretty unworkable on holidays with my in-laws over, due to the fact that everyone has put on their brass knuckles and pulled out their switch blades by the time we're done eating. But yeah, a lot of families go out to the movies after their feast (I think it's one of the top grossing ticket sales days of the year). Just to get away from obnoxious family, I frequently go for a walk after dinner and found that a lot of other people seem to have this tradition of the post-feast walk.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    In central Illinois, small towns only existed to mine coal in the late 1800s/1900s, so each town is pretty much guaranteed to have at least one of these 200 ft tall "mountains of the midwest."
    The first few times you see these as an outsider and don't know the history, it's very bizarre.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    After dinner, we usually have games - euchre tournaments, cranium, michigan rummy, and more recently a family trivia game my sister and I devised to figure out who knows the family the best. i love the holidays, but that's only because my family is crazy in only a good way.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    My father officially proclaims the Christmas season open. Officially.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Thanksgiving 2013
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 50
    Last post: 02 Dec 2013, 8:43 AM
  2. Christmas AM Traditions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 8:40 PM
  3. Holiday Traditions 2006
    Friday Afternoon Club