Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Additional duties as asigned...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Additional duties as asigned...

We've all scene that phrase in our job description, so let's here it! What are some of the more unusual, pain-in-the-ass type things that you get "asigned"?

Me:
    We're a little prone to flash flooding around here. It's not unusual for me to get stuck closing off the low-water crossings with barricades in the pooring rain--and it never fails that I'm wearing my nicer clothes on that day . Maybe someday we'll have a public works department to take care of that kind of BS.

It looks like I'll be headed out today since we already have water going over some roads. ****. I really hate central Texas sometimes!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Let's see. I've been:
    - 911 address coordinator
    - Emergency Communications Director: In the event of a catostraphic event, I was the public/media information contact.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Having to work the front desk after the full time receptionist was laid off. It's honestly not that bad of a job, but it didn't take long to tire of the idots who call the planning department to complain about their water bill or asking you to give them money so they can start a business...outside of the city no less.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    In addition to planning functions, I'm also reponsible for submitting news items and updating our web site and other publications that we are listed in. I guess it's because my undergrad was in Journalism?
    As a planning director I'd slough through mud and bugs and burrs and also "babysit" paving projects...you name it.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Making sure that the downtown Christmas lights were on each night was my displeasure in one town.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Backup for monthly MSA labor market profiles. Meaning if something gets screwed up and the main go-to person isn't around, I inherit the problem. But since I only do this stuff maybe twice a year I have usually forgotten how to do it, so it's like the blind leading the blind.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    In my last position I was assigned to inspect adult entertainment businesses. Finally managed to swap with a guy for cell towers.

Have also been assigned to chart lake/river levels during hurricanes (luckily never actually had to do this).

1) Got out of being the ADA coordinator as quickly as possible (read: four years -- thankfully managed to get transition plan finished before DOJ showed up...).

2) Still (Acting) Fair Housing Officer (going on 15 years).

3) Census Officer (kinda fun in non-decennial census years, otherwise a royal pin in the arse. Can anybody say Complete Count Committee??? )

4) Justice Assistance Advisory Board staff (glorified grantsman for Police Dept. Now that the sheriff submits UCRs we don't get any more COPS $$ and this title is now defunct.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I get to deliver agenda packets for the Planning Commissioners that live on the north side of town.....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I get to deliver agenda packets for the Planning Commissioners that live on the north side of town.....
    We make our cops do that with City Council packets.

All of my P&Zers are pretty tech-savvy, so I'm able to scan the packets and email them. I'm working on setting up a page on our website that they can access so I don't plug up their emails as much with big files. Oh yeah, there's another thing a loath, website administration!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    And who says that planning isn't a glamorous profession?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I got to do that in a former jurisdiction; it was OK except for the time one of the old guys opened the door in just his boxers. Ewww.

Registered
    Feb 2003

At your service

Secretarial. My least favorite is typing minutes and processing agendas for Planning Commission. And answering phones for the planning and building inspection department, especially when they start asking technical information about building construction.

Drainage complaints in an area that is flat as Kansas with clay soils, high water table (almost at the level of the nearby lake). What is the Town going to do about water ponding in my yard, ditch, etc?

Other places I have worked: Getting 25 lb boxes of paper, being the IT person, setting up public notice signs on a barricade and weighing it down with 25lb sand bags so it wouldn't fall over (most of the time there would be 4-5 signs up around the community).
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    IT and program problem guy.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    ^
    Yup. Department computer helper. Also department graphics helper and official printer of all floodplain maps anyone ever needs anywhere.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    IT and program problem guy.
    As the most recent college grad... all IT problems get tossed my way. I also assemble the organizational newsletter, maintain the website, and assemble graphics for most projects. Basically all the grunt work that nobody else wants to do that gets pushed my way because I'm a pussy.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    In my last position I was assigned to inspect adult entertainment businesses. Finally managed to swap with a guy for cell towers.

Have also been assigned to chart lake/river levels during hurricanes (luckily never actually had to do this).
    Mmmmm, those cell towers. Big metal erections?

Bear Close To The Edge
    Occupy Cyburbia!

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004

"Get out your can cause here comes the garbage man!"

During the first week of my first professional planning position several years ago, I was assigned to visit and familiarize myself with one of the County's facilities. The assignment: To take our office's outdated and discarded office furniture and equipment to the COUNTY DUMP (er Refuse Collection and Transfer Station)!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Mmmmm, those cell towers. Big metal erections?

Bear Close To The Edge
    I would rather have dealt with the county's largest phallic symbols than naked gyrating teenagers, loser middle-aged customers, and sleazy guys in tuxes, not to mention the video stores, ick.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I was the Planning Director for a small city in Central Florida. All management staff were assigned some menial task to demonstrate to the worker bees that management were humans too. My job was to empty the recycling bins in the office a couple of times a week and take out to the igloo in the parking lot. I didn't mind doing it at all, esp. since it was for recycling.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    HA. At our last gig Prudence and I had to re-write the city's adult oriented establishment ordinance to make it constitutional. We decided research was in order. The Mayor denied our expense reports for...$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,
    $1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,
    $1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1.. you get the point.. due to lack of receipts.

Man, that was work.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    HA. At our last gig Prudence and I had to re-write the city's adult oriented establishment ordinance to make it constitutional. We decided research was in order. The Mayor denied our expense reports for...$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,
    $1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,
    $1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1,$1.. you get the point.. due to lack of receipts.

Man, that was work.
    That's awful! You got stiffed?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    That's awful! You got stiffed?
    You boys are bad, bad, bad...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Let's see ...in Florida, there was some building inspection (driveway grades, site grading and drainage, and final site inspections), being the acting IT director (building all the town computers, building the network, tech support, creating and maintaining the Web site), grabbing a shovel and clearing the ground around suspected water line breaks, helping the police department with crowd and perimeter control, and water theft patrol. That's not to mention the usual code enforcement -- not just zoning, but property maintenance and inoperable vehicles -- and snipe sign removal.

I like my current job. Most of the "other duties as assigned" are handled by other departments, many of which are covered by union contracts that specifically state we can't do those other duties. Need furniture moved? If the planners do it, it violates the union contract of those working in the building and grounds department.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    You boys are bad, bad, bad...
    It must be something bad because I have no idea what they are talking about. Do I even want to ask??

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New duties
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 2:42 PM
  2. Variances Administrative duties
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Apr 2013, 10:10 AM
  3. Job duties