Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Land under Flyovers

Registered
    Feb 2004

Land under Flyovers

i am looking for variations in landuse under flyover, in my part of the world parking seems to be the onlyoption. But i feel that it could be put to better use. Suggestions from anyone would be most welcome

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Parts of Darling Harbour (Sydney Australia) has recreation and garden space under flyovers. specific uses includes kiosks, public toilets, an interactive water feature, a lawn area for kid's play. There may even be some retail space under the flyover on the eastern side of the site but I am less certain of that.

This example is dependant on being in a highly desirable location though.

Here is a link to Darling Harbour.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Dumbo

For years while I was at the New Jersey (US) DOT I tried to promote more creative uses of the land under flyovers, such as skateparks, basketball courts, sculptural landforms, to no avail. They wanted nothing that would put people under them, out of liability concerns. I didn't get the logic. You're okay with having people drive under them and walk under them, but having them linger was a no-no. Such is the mental state of an overly-litigious society.

IN NYC, some commercial buildings were recently put up under the approach of the Manhattan Bridge. Of course, the land values there put a lot of demand on every square inch of real estate.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I am not sure what altitude or distance from end of the runway is considered flyover, but... For those who have never been to Phoenix, the airport (10th busiest in the world) is practically located in downtown (as downtown as it gets here anyways.) In close proximity to the ends of the runways, there is parking, proposed rental car terminal, industrial, commercial, and unfortunately some really poor housing.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    This thread about public space under bridges might be of interest

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1319

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Similar to what ludes98 said, there are several cities with airports built right in the centre with myriad uses under the approach and take-off zones. One that comes to mind is the City of Burbank, California, right in the middle of the heavily-populated San Fernando Valley. This is a fairly small airport by American standards, but it has a lot of commercial activity serving northern Los Angeles. The City of Burbank has very specific use and height regulations within the approach zone, which you can find in their Municipal Code (pdf).

For smaller airports, the City of Vancouver, WA (USA) also has regulations controlling height in approach and take-off zones. The City has a specific Airport District.

Registered
    Feb 2004

broadening horizons

with help from u all, suddenly there are variant uses proping up . Keep it up. and thanks

Registered
    Nov 2004

Airport Planning...

Quote Originally posted by vikaas
    with help from u all, suddenly there are variant uses proping up . Keep it up. and thanks
    Good Luck! It is a challenge convincing a community to zone otherwise despite an airport's desire/plan to expand or increase operations.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In the US, the Fedeal Avaiation Administration (FAA) regulates uses around airports. They have published several guidelines which may be of help. You can find them all online at their website.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    In the US, the Fedeal Avaiation Administration (FAA) regulates uses around airports. They have published several guidelines which may be of help. You can find them all online at their website.
    The FAA does not 'regulate' land uses surrounding an airport. They make suggestions, but the FAA is only truely concerned with surrounding land use with respect to height and obstructions (runway protection zones).

Industrial uses, golf courses, parks, are all pretty common to place in the 'paths'. Howver, 95% of the airports have some sort of exisitng conflicting land uses that have been in place since....well since the Wright Brothers took off.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    There are a few places around here where cemeteries are located in these locations.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Definitions Land-use or land use?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Feb 2012, 4:51 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Dec 2008, 10:29 AM
  3. The land of Oz
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Feb 2006, 10:56 AM