Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: New guy from Austin, Texas

Registered
    Nov 2004

New guy from Austin, Texas

Hey everyone

Wow, this is one awesome forum... glad to be here!

A little about me:

- Currently a GIS Technician for local govt. doing Subdivision Review
    - Have been in GIS for the past 7 years although will be changing to planning
    - Majoring in "Urban and Regional Planning" at Texas State University

I've been into planning ever since I first played (and became addicted to) SimCity on my Super Nintendo back in the day. I ended up in the GIS field after highschool and was originally pursuing a degree in that area, but now I've come to the conclusion that planning is my true passion and what I want to do with the rest of my life.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning all I can from this great site

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Welcome from another person who got a certificate in GIS because of Simcity.

Okay, that isn't really what you said. Close enough.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Austin is one of the coolest cities on the planet. IMHO. It's the only place I know where you can get Guiness Ice Cream. Welcome friend.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Welcome from the Valley of the Sun.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from Edmonton, Canada.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from teh Florida panhandle.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks for registering and introducing yourself. It's a motley crew but I'm sure you'll fit in just fine

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Welcome from the Palmetto State.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Welcome from the South West corner of the Great Lakes State. You know the one that looks like a mitten and has a big pond named after it.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Welcome to the family.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Welcome to the family.
    FAMILY ---- that's a scary thought. When and where is the big family reunion?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from the Washington DC metro area!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Greetings from the hilly part of the Hoosier State. Glad to hear that planning is your life passion. Planning is truly rewarding. Good luck, stick around and have fun.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome from south central New York state.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    and another Texas State Bobcat joins the ranks... soon the takeover will begin!

Welcome from a little south of you near San Antonio and a recent grad of the Texas State planning program. When do you graduate? I graduated this past May, so we may have had a few classes together.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    and another Texas State Bobcat joins the ranks... soon the takeover will begin!

Welcome from a little south of you near San Antonio and a recent grad of the Texas State planning program. When do you graduate? I graduated this past May, so we may have had a few classes together.
    Well, my first semester at TX State was Spring of 2000, but I haven't been in classes for the last year. I finished my GIS Certificate online and then took a break. Not sure when I'm going to finally graduate but it's going to be awhile. My first semester of college was Fall '97 so I'm not doing a great job with this whole "4-year-degree" thing, lol!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    My first semester of college was Fall '97 so I'm not doing a great job with this whole "4-year-degree" thing, lol!
    It's pretty normal to take a little more than 4 years these days. To make you feel better:

I started college in the fall of 1983, fresh out of high school. Attended 2 years and quit.

I recieved my associate's degree in May of 1999.

I started my Bachelor's that fall (1999). I still have about 5 classes to go -- but I did get my certificate in GIS in 2002.

Believe it or not, I already have a school picked out where I would like to get my master's.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Welcome....

Have any classes with Byron D. Augustin? He got his (rarely seen) D.A. (Doctor of Arts) from the University of Northern Colorado (Zmanplan take notice). He seems to be somewhat of an authority on Qatar also..... Stick around and play a while....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Have any classes with Byron D. Augustin? He got his (rarely seen) D.A. (Doctor of Arts) from the University of Northern Colorado (Zmanplan take notice). He seems to be somewhat of an authority on Qatar also..... Stick around and play a while....
    Yes, Doc Augustin is a trip! He has this thing where anytime he says the word "lawyer" during a lecture he starts flinching and spitting... lol!

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Austin, Texas (long)
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 9:05 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Sep 2011, 2:23 PM
  3. Hello from Austin, Texas!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Apr 2010, 6:43 PM