Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: and Texas continues it's spiral toward hell...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

and Texas continues it's spiral toward hell...

There must me something in the water in this state. It seems like all of the crazy moms live in Texas (cheerleader mom, drowning kids, etc).

*note: I recognize that postpartum depression is a legitimate illness and do not mean to make light of the situation.

PLANO, Texas (AP) -- A woman with a history of postpartum depression cut the arms off her baby girl who later died, authorities said.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    OMG and WTF just don’t cut it in this case. This woman needs some serious help because no one in their right mind would do such a thing.

I think that someone should start a happy thread.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I cannot begin to understand what causes people (both mother and/or fathers) to commit these kinds of crime. It sickens me and I do not believe this person should have the right to sit in jail, comfortable and fed, I do not believe there is any use for a person like this in this world. We can talk about rehabilitating a person like this and making them a contributing citizen to society, but do you really believe that once a person that murdered thier own child is rehabilitated they could live with themself?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    What concerns me is that reports are always that they seem to be such great mothers and that the family had some concerns and that it seems to possibly get worse with each child and that when this happens it is the 3rd, 4th, 6th child. Or possibly that the mother kills all of them. Mostly the reports are that she was psychotic and that she thought she was doing it to protect her children. Psychosis is a funny thing. Some people can remember what they did after the episode, some people can't. To punish the person that can remember won't do any more good than what they will put on themselves. To punish the person that can't remember would be like punishing you for a crime that you did not commit. That is just the reason that the reason of insanity is used.
    What is a family to do, especially when it happens months after the birth. There comes a time when you can't watch them every minute. If there was that kind of threat then all the children could be taken. Often these women are having a difficult time and families are watching for such things but there doesn't seem to be a strong indication until they actually have the psychotic break and there are horrible consiquiences.
    Please don't take it wrong that I am standing up for this behavior, it is just that I understand how the psychosis works and could understand how it can happen.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Since having kids, things like this just turn my stomach.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I cannot begin to understand what causes people (both mother and/or fathers) to commit these kinds of crime.
    In the case of post-partum depression, they are beginning to understand the brain chemistry fairly well and I am hopeful that it will soon be treatable. In short, the same hormone that makes one a devoted, adoring mom at certain levels makes one a rabid psycho at excessively high levels. Really sad. (And NO, no woman who is pregnant or a new mom is really and truly "in her right mind". Usually the temporary insanity that pregnancy and childbirth induce make one a good mom but it is a chemically mind-altering experience.)

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I believe it is a chemically mind altering experience and I am thankful I never had any problems after the borth of both of my sons. I do not think anything can justify a mother harming her own child. I do not know enough about psychosis, nor will I pretend to. What is it these mothers that do something like this should face? Rehabilitation? Many of these mothers had already sought help and were "cured" and still turned around and did something like this. It angers me so much to hear of mothers that do things like this. Is there nothing inside of them that tells them to STOP what they are doing before or during the act? It just sickens me and I cannot find any justification for it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am not justifying it and I have no answers as to what to "do" with such people. And I don't feel obligated to come up with the answer. I come up with answers for certain things and pass them on to people when I have the opportunity -- including how to NOT beat your special-needs kid who is driving you nuts when you are chronically ill and sleep deprived. But I do understand the concept all too well of a) doing things you wouldn't normally do when in your right mind because of a chemically altered state and b) human failing under extreme pressure.

Things like this are always horrifying and extremely tragic. But when you dig, people who do things like this are typically victims in some way themselves and the incident occurs under extreme duress. I think that upwards of 90% of criminals on death row have such serious head injuries that you can verify the damage with an X-ray of the skull even if there is no medical record of the incident. The woman who drowned both her kids in a car (Susan Smith??) was a victim of sexual abuse and that was never treated. Stay at home moms are typically living in a crucible and it is probably a wonder that more of them don't just snap because we really do not give much cultural support to full-time moms. They are treated like "leaches" who aren't contributing to society and who do not need or deserve much support. This is true even if they leave well-paid careers at much personal sacrifice to themselves to be home with the baby because they believe it is the right thing to do.

In my eyes, these horrifying crimes are partly just the tip of the iceberg -- the "presenting problem" -- of a society that seriously fails people in some crucial areas. I really don't want to argue about it. You said you could not understand and I presented what little I understand about HOW these things happen. That's all.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for your insight. I do agree with your opinion on this matter. And you are correct, more times than not people that commit these types of crimes are victims themselves. I just get so angry when I hear about mothers that do these things.
    I personally am raising my two boys alone, thier father left when the youngest was 2 days old. I can sympathize with the stress of a working or non-working parent. I on the other hand am healthy, not a victim per se and count to 10 when I feel like strangling on of the boys. I do agree with you MZ, stories like this just anger me to know end.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I started reading the article but couldn't finish. Disturbs the crap out of me.
    Annoyingly insensitive

I'm sorry, I just can't imagine someone doing this out of the blue. If social services had already been investigating and found nothing to be alarmed about, then the investigators should face some serious questions. I also do not go along with not guilty by reason of insanity. If someone is not responsible for their actions, let the one who is responsible for their actions come forward. I know that these views are not pc but I do feel this way. btw I have some aquaintence with depresion, having ben under treatment for several years now due to many factors. I am not qualified to make any judgment in this case but I just can't get my wits around a parent doing anything of this sort. Any parent.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This was a very disturbing story.

When i first heard this story early this morning, it was on my small bedside radio and I only picked-up a little of the story. My first thought, before hearing any of the "reasons", was "religious fanatic".

I had absolutely no reason to make that assumption so quickly. And I'm asking myself, have I conditioned myself in such a way that I first "assume" it's the religious issue?

I really scared myself on this one. I did not have an open mind.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Thanks for your insight.
    You are welcome.
    I do agree with you MZ, stories like this just anger me to know end.
    It takes more than it used to get a rise out of me. I spend too much time providing support in online forums to people who have chronic illness, special needs kids, abusive pasts, etc. Compassion, insight, referrals to forms of support, forgiveness, et al. sometimes make a critical difference in very tragic (or potentially tragic) situations. I cannot effectively help people if my response to their story is anger. Besides, I spent so many years of my life in a burning rage. I suppose I am kind of burnt out on it. It served a purpose at one time but rage does not heal people. I am capable of anger at times -- when embroiled in something -- but as an outsider who isn't directly involved in something, it just makes me extremely sad and sometimes horrified. But it doesn't usually make me angry. Which doesn't mean I am judging you. I am just explaining because I know that people are frequently baffled by my seeming "lack" of emotional reaction to such things.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 26 May 2005, 12:32 PM
  2. Why Texas is Going to Hell?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 May 2005, 12:05 AM
  3. Why Texas is Going to Hell, #1
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Feb 2005, 11:35 PM