Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Yet another job hunting question

Registered
    Sep 2001

Yet another job hunting question

So a place I would really like to work and live has multiple positions open right now at all levels. I've even interviewed with them before and received very good feedback. The question is should I apply to all or will that hurt my chances for the jobs I really want (mid to high end and special project)?

Also when applying how much should I vary my resume and cover letter? I know cover letters should be tailored, and resumes massaged but how much?

As always, thanks.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would state in your cover letter the position you desire, and the potitions you also find "of interest should you fell they are a better fit for my skill sets".

As a rule, every cover letter should be tailored specifically to the posting. No templates!

Tweeking the resume for each application is always good. Sometimes if you;re not getting any solid hits, scrap the resume completely and restart with a blank piece of paper. ...and NO Microsoft Office template resumes!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I would state in your cover letter the position you desire, and the potitions you also find "of interest should you fell they are a better fit for my skill sets".
    I agree completely with Chet. One cover letter and resume, but mention that you would be interested in the other positions if the employer felt it was a good fit.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Each one requires a separate cover letter and resume be submitted.

My resume seems to get results, when it is the format an employer uses. It got me an interview out of 800 candidates last time this employer was looking.

On cover letters, the first paragraph and last paragraphs are tailored to the the job add with the middle/career summary paragraph being somewhat standard. With the job I really want this time, it is a from scratch with examples and details.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Each one requires a separate cover letter and resume be submitted.
    OK, then use the same resume for both, but still tailor the cover letters to the posiiotn, and cross reference your other application in each.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Tailored letters with cross-references seems like a very good way to handle it. Particularly as it is possible that applications for different positions will be handled by different people. If you are worried, you could give them a call and ask them??

A little tip I picked up from somewhere: as a cover page for your resume, you can put

DONK CYBURBIAN

ENVELOPE LICKER

FOR

ENVELOPES UNLIMITED

It's a little cheeky, but it a clear reminder of your name, the position you are applying for, and a subtle hint that you could be the one for the role...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    A little tip I picked up from somewhere: as a cover page for your resume, you can put

DONK CYBURBIAN

ENVELOPE LICKER

FOR

ENVELOPES UNLIMITED

It's a little cheeky, but it a clear reminder of your name, the position you are applying for, and a subtle hint that you could be the one for the role...
    Almost no envelope licking for me. I usually send them by email (if permitted).

If I had to pay postage for the number of resumes I've sent out I'd be in the poorhouse.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Do you know why they have multiple positions open at the same time? Not a mass exodus I hope...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Do you know why they have multiple positions open at the same time? Not a mass exodus I hope...
    No, not a mass exodus - we finally got approval to hire for a whole bunch of vacant positions. There is a fair bit of turnover in the planning department, but mostly it is people moving around within the organization.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...So donk and tranplanner could be... coworkers??

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Maybe, considering last time i interviewed with this place they said I was the funniest person they'd ever interviewed and had great experiences, just not the scope and scale they were looking for.

I hope to get at least 1 interview out of the three positions I am going to apply for.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It could happen.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I would apply only for the "highest" position that you really want. In my experience, if they have promoted from within, I have been contacted to see if I am interested in a lesser planning position.
    Good luck!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wonder if it might be a good idea to explain in your cover letter that you want very much to move from rural planning to a urban setting, and that you are willing to consider the lower-graded positions for the opportunity to adjust your career. Hopefully the "rural stigma" won't last.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Use an orange vest....oops, didn't see the "job" in the hunting title. Bear problem here in the Florida panhandle, you know. Get some shooters down here.....
    (still trying figure out how to post pix....hellooooo ladies).
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 28 Nov 2004 at 1:47 AM. Reason: typo

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Frustration in job hunting
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 30 Apr 2010, 9:29 AM
  2. Really "dumb" job hunting question
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Oct 2004, 9:30 PM
  3. Yet another job hunting question