Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are you doing this afternoon

What are you doing this afternoon

What are you doing this afernoon? Its a slow day in my office, about 3/4 of the staff took the day off. I am not traveling today, staying in town for Thanksgiving.

OK, so now lets get real, I did some serious writing this morning, but I've slowed down this afterrnoon and plan to "relax" this afernoon. How many of you are siting listening to the radio, surfing on the net, checking out the news on the net, ( I like to read the BBC on line), surfing the cyurbia forums to make the time go by.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Waiting for the boss to bring the t-bird so that we can have our luncheon, then get back to work......
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm listening to tunes as I pack up my personal belongings in my office desk.

Still need to type out some notes for the boss on "loose ends" he'll need to track after I'm gone.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What am I doing this afternoon? You're reading all about it right now.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Waiting for it to be 3:00...City Hall is closing 2 hours early this afternoon...and watching the snow fall out the window...I dont remember ever seeing snow on Thanksgiving here before...it is pretty out, traffic is a nightmare but it looks nice...so in answer to the question...what am I doing this afternoon...NADA

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Work Work Work....

Last minute notice for cases, emergency meetings created by management and an general lack of holiday spirit..oh and the 5 staff reports due on Monday because of the Holiday..other than that, not much.....

But I still can't wait to eat as much turkey and pie as my gut will let me hold
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd
    What are you doing this afernoon? Its a slow day in my office, about 3/4 of the staff took the day off. I am not traveling today, staying in town for Thanksgiving.
    Let's see ...

1) Writing about access management, and the problems with the lack thereof, for the transportation element of a township plan I'm working on.

2) Created a quick n' dirty, but extremely slick and professional appearing logo for my agency. We're drafting an RFP/RFQ response, and I want it to look as professional as possible, as if it were created by a large, high-end private firm. Pages and pages of dull 12 point Times Roman are unacceptable in my book. (Of couse, substance is more important than form, but when laypeople look at RFP/RFQ responsess, having a pretty cover may give you an edge.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Eating a late lunch. It's like a morgue in here, just two of us. The boss is home (sick with the flu), but keeps calling in for messages. I'm hoping that next time he calls, he will be charitable enough to tell us to leave early.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Nothing

OH wait I am doing something, I surfing the net and posting on cyburbia.

I'm directing our planner as he completes some research for a TE application due Tuesday and wondering whether English is his native tongue. Do we have any more red pens?????

Mayor has allowed the lower echelon staff to leave at 2:00, so the place is a ghost town. Ahh, the joys of upper management.
    Je suis Charlie

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Had to pound out notice letters for four zoning cases.

The future Mrs Suburb Repairman & I are going to register for wedding loot. We're hoping that some of our family & friends will catch on early and buy us stuff off the list as Christmas presents!

When I leave in about 5 minutes there will be two people left in City Hall.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    Nothing

OH wait I am doing something, I surfing the net and posting on cyburbia.
    Ditto to that.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm kicking back, enjoying the sunlit view of the office building courtyard, and waiting to get the hell out of here to start the T-Day holiday! No work being done today!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Aug 2004

This morning I did some back-logged filing, chatted with my 2 remaining coworkers (8 are gone) and surfed the net. Took a long lunch, and am now just waiting around for the official "leave early" bell. Rumor has it at 3:00 cst.

I would say about 1/2 of downtown is gone, so lines are short and the buses running on time. Should get home in 30 mins, versus the usual 50 - 60. I'm ready to get a start on the holiday cooking!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    What is this "leaving early" that you speak of?
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Just killing time until 5. They never close early or let us leave early the day before a holiday (sigh...).

Registered
    Dec 2001
    i'm doing TONS! I am the planner on call, i had a historic preservation commission meeting this morning, i'm finalizing minutes from a new urbanism (form-based coding) commission meeting, i'm writing permits, and watching 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow fall outside my window right now!!

The Commutte home will be HE!!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Outta here at 4:00 today. But we close at 4:00 everyday (I may leave a little early).
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jan 2004

Im dressing up in my black leotard and tights and my black pomerainian fishermans cap, ballet slippers, enjoying a nice glass of port, and listening to my Lotta Lenya CD

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Trinity Moses
    Im dressing up in my black leotard and tights and my black pomerainian fishermans cap, ballet slippers, enjoying a nice glass of port, and listening to my Lotta Lenya CD

PICTURES PICTURES

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Slow day, been able to catch up on some correspondence. Not much else.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    PICTURES PICTURES
    How do you know Trinity Moses isn't a DUDE!

Edit: I did spend this afternoon moving to a bigger office with a better view and a skylight

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I mostly slept today.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    How do you know Trinity Moses isn't a DUDE!
    I am "a dude". But a sort of a "Wiemar cabaret" kind of guy.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Trinity Moses
    I am "a dude". But a sort of a "Wiemar cabaret" kind of guy.
    In that case, a picture would have been a fun rebuttal.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Sep 2013, 2:31 PM
  2. Afternoon from Wisconsin
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 May 2008, 4:57 PM
  3. Fun Quiz for the afternoon crowd-
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32