Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Thanksgiving Weekend?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

How Was Your Thanksgiving Weekend?

Cyburbia was pretty quiet during the 4-day Thanksgiving weekend. My guess is that a lot of folks travelled and did the family stuff.....not just on Turkey day, but on all of the days.

For example.....if I remember, Cardinal was off to do some hiking and Z-Man was off to Memphis. Now as I watch the ESPN football game and see the snow in Denver I gotta wonder how those two (2) survived the Colorado early Winter weather.

I took Wed off, already had the 4-day weekend, and will be off on Mon.....so it's a nice 6-day break for The Bear. Cooked and ate some turkey and the trimmings, watched some movies, worked on my Amish fake city (De Noc), read some magazines.

Katie and I went to Loma Linda's on Saturday night.....it was very crowded. One (1) of my ex-wifes was there, with her husband. We chatted for awhile. Katie had a few margos and then we slid over to Hub's Bar (in beautiful downtown Swanton) and had a few more. I actually drank two (2) beers....Rolling Rocks, of course.

Football was on the tube today and that's what I have been watching.

How was your weekend?

Bear Living The Life Of A Rock Star.....Hendrix
    (Lying Down And Not Moving)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I mostly made an ass of myself. Right, ZG?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I managed to get away early Wednesday and drove off to Moab. Thursday I did a bit of hiking in Canyonlands and then found myself on a "road" I probably should not have taken. It turned out well, though. I did not drive over any cliffs and I think I can pull the front fascia panel on the Subaru back into place. I may post pictures sometime.

With the winter storm blowing in, I left for home Suturday morning. I-70 was reopened after being closed for two days because a rockslide obliterated chunks of the highway. It started snowing around Glenwood and kept it up through Georgetown. They were predicting two feet. I have six inches on the ground here.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    First time since '75 that I spent T-day with Mom.
    Took 5 days of vacation so I could be there while my niece and nephew (from California) were visiting.
    It is not a really good idea to start replacing a bathroom faucet on Wednesday night when Home Depot closes in less than 1hr and closed on T-day.
    Last edited by JNA; 28 Nov 2004 at 11:06 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Highlights of my extended weekend:

Stuff myself at dinner but not so much that my pants were uncomfortable or that I got sleepy. For dinner I traveled all the way to... the condo tower next to mine

Tailgated before the Falcon's game, though I didn't actually attend the game since I had a lot of other things to do

Watched a bunch of twenty something girls wrestle in a big inflated pool filled with pudding (if you must know, it was butterscotch pudding)

Debated endlessly on buying a big screen tv, but didn't end up buying anything

Lost several eBay auctions for paintings
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jul 2003
    The last few days have been kind of quiet for me. My sister had her surgery on Tuesday and I haven't heard from her. Of course, my cell phone was dead. I don't know how long it has been dead. It is charging right now. So maybe she called and left a message. Anyway, I feel like I won't know "how my holidays went" until I know how my sister is. Other than that, my health took a turn for the better. I feel like I slept all month but I am suddenly more awake and getting more done and it feels good.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Not the best holiday weekend. A day at Mom's club (actually, the food was surprisingly good, much better than the usual mediocre stuff) and helping her decorate, a day helping a friend run a yard sale, a day travelling to my former town so my son could visit with the ex's sister (and my good friend) in a nursing home (depressing), and finally today at home, to get a little cleaning/X-mas decorating done.

My son is 11 and tonite we watched "Stand By Me" which he had never seen before, but it is about kids his age or so, so I thought he might like it.

Mrs. G hit a nice exacta at historic Churchill Downs on Friday, to the tune of $180.40. I coulnd't hit the broad side of a barn until the last race when I had a 32:1 shot place, paying a tidy $40.00.

Finally ran wiring to a new outlet (ganged a box in the LR) and to the front porch so we don't have to crack a window to light the front of the house for the holidays.

Drafted my TE application which is due at the MPO tomorrow. Gonna be a long, long day today. But where else are you going to find $400,000 for a preservation project with just 20% match required???
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Did a lot of driving back and forth to family this weekend. Planner Groupie's truck is going in to the garage this week....looks like the timing belt is going......

Wes enjoyed his first Thanksgiving.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Total of 1,110 miles of driving
    2:30 AM driving from Marquette to Escanaba in a UP winter storm warning
    Leftovers gone by 8pm on Friday
    But, I did get to spend time with my family so it was a good weekend

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I went with the fiance's family for Thanksgiving, which was pretty fun. I like playing basketball with her younger brother.

What sucked about the Thanksgiving weekend? I had about five things break on my car at the same time. Approximate repair bill assuming I can replace everything myself: $1,950 parts only. My car is only worth about $4000 and things keep breaking. It has a lot of miles, so I'm wondering when the other shoe is going to drop.

This Burb Fixer is going car shopping today! Now, finding something I like that the insurance man won't kiss me on both sets of cheeks for... that's the difficult part! Mazda RX-8, here I come!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Only had 6 people to feed on T-day. Mom and dad have been fighting like cats & dogs since mom got diagnosed w/ cancer last week - so she decided not to come over this year and have to breathe the same oxygen as dad. Largely because we didn't have lots of family over we didn't have any fighting - this was a first, so as far as the holiday per se it went extremely well.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Thursday Night Pixies Concert, great show in a weird venue.
    Friday, called in sick. Did my saturday tour on friday, no crowds.
    Saturday, caught up on sleep, bought my SS gift.
    Sunday, spent out side watching a cyclocross race.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    My wife & I simply didn't feel like dealing with family this weekend, but got roped into babysitting my mom. So we took a road trip - visited Charlotte, Winston Salem, & Durham NC on our way to Richmond, VA. Traffic was surprisingly light, especially on our return trip - made it from Richmond to Atlanta in under 10 hours including breaks & dinner. Did have to confront the issue with everything being closed, but at least on the freeway everything was open - need to remember that on Christmas. If you need any last minute items - just visit your local freeway gas station .

My brief synopsis:

Charlotte was as always a beautiful, perfect, clean, manicured looking city - but I wouldn't want to live there. I had already grown up in a nearby mill town turned suburb for 18 years, so I do have my bias. But the city is certainly attractive looking, especially the redeveloped downtown & South Blvd corridor. Nonetheless as beautiful Dilworth & the Queens College area is, the city seems so lifeless. Or maybe it just looks to 'perfect', the kind of girl that looks like a porcelain doll & have the honor going out on a date. But at the end, even though she's ready, you just don't want to.

Winston Salem was interesting. Wouldn't dream of living there, but very interesting. Plenty of unique historical neighborhoods, including Old Salem, which blended the border of museaum & neighborhood. Downtown was as dead as any downtown, few street level stores, just office buildings - it reminded me of home in Atlanta, sigh....

ATTENTION PLANNERS - DURHAM NEEDS YOUR HELP! Could possibly become a great city, it has Duke University, it has a neighborhood retail district near the campus, it has attractive commercial & civic structures in downtown. But nothing clicked. Might possibly be the most disconnected city, at least the most I've seen. Full of potential but full of bad planning or no planning at all. Simply couldn't figure out this city, or really large town at all. It was like driving in a puzzle, but several puzzle pieces were missing.

Richmond is the ****. Really, my wife & I have planned for a long time that the next city we move won't be in the south - this might be an exception. Richmond should still be a prominant city as it was 100 years ago - it's not only beautiful but a very functional livable city today. Carytown, Fan District, Church Hill - some of the best most cohesive neighborhoods I've seen anywhere. We will seriously consider relocating there in a number of years, it's old - but not too old. The city doesn't function as a museaum at all, in fact most of the neighborhoods were old - but in reality many of the homes were as old as Atlanta's. Another thing about the city - streetcars would go a long way there. A line on Cary St east & west as well as Monument serving the Fan district & Virginia Commonwealth University would be highly successful. We were highly impressed.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My weekend sucked... arrived home Thursday evening to find half the power in our house out, thanks to something that happened with the roofers (nail through a power line?)... tried to troubleshoot the problem on Saturday, but because of the low-slope roof, we can't get around the attic. Looks like we'll have to hire an electrician, which means we may have to kiss a big chunk of our money away... I'm stressed and depressed today.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    pretty easy on T-day.

Went to our friend's house for dinner with some of their relatives. Very nice to meet new people. They are from Minnesota and I am further convinced that native Minnesotans are the nicest people around.

rest of the weekend involved X-mas shopping and writing out X-mas cards
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Turkey holiday went very well. I cooked my first Thanksgiving dinner , and I'm proud to say not one smoke alarm went off and everything tasted like it was supposed to .

Day after, spent afternoon working on crafting project and watching TV.

Saturday we went shopping - at the craft store and the bookstore. Weather's been great, so we also went for a walk around the neighborhood.

Sunday spent watching football, crafting and getting ready to go back work.

Monday at the office - half the staff's still out. Busy, but not stressed, at least not yet!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Wonderful, everything was wonderful. We didn't have to cook, food was amazing at our friends' home, and we relaxed. Couldn't ask for anything better.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Thanksgiving day was very nice - my MIL is a wonderful cook and we had a great turkey-free meal (& finished the last of the pie last night!).

The rest of the weekend was very relaxing. I stayed well away from the Black Friday traffic and instead caught a matinee with a friend. I also watched a few DVDs, brought some old clothes to the Salvation Army, and stocked up the wine cellar. We enjoyed a lovely Duck Pond Chardonnay with pasta for our traditional Sunday dinner. YUM.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    Thursday Night Pixies Concert, great show in a weird venue.
    That sounds awesome, Donk, I'm envious. Where did you see them?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    For example.....if I remember, Cardinal was off to do some hiking and Z-Man was off to Memphis. Now as I watch the ESPN football game and see the snow in Denver I gotta wonder how those two (2) survived the Colorado early Winter weather.
    Thanks for the concern Bear I made it home just fine, flying in Saturday before the storm and driving home in it with the new Subaru, the Z Man did just fine.
    Except for the football match last night.....
    Anyways Thanksgiving was good. I will post some Memphis downtown, neighborhood and rivierside homes development later after we are finished moving our office...

One foot of snow with 16 degrees here today. My kind of weather!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess

Seriously - I was too slow to buy tickets in Atlanta, didn't have the money at the time to buy in Birmingham, AL & waited too long to buy them in NYC when my wife & I will be there.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    Seriously - I was too slow to buy tickets in Atlanta, didn't have the money at the time to buy in Birmingham, AL & waited too long to buy them in NYC when my wife & I will be there.
    Quote Originally posted by mudprincess
    Saw them in Toronto at the Arrow Hall. Actually an old hangar out by the airport. like repo I would have bought a copy of the CD from the show that night but the line was insanely long. Talked to a used record store the next day and am on a list for when they show up there. Bought the "new" frankblackfrancis CD. Very good.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Cooked all day on Thursday. Ate leftovers for a great carb fest. Filled 8 garbage cans cleaning out the garage. Had to quite when I ran out of garbage cans. Watched Harry Potter new movie on DVD. Seriously chilled out.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Good and Bad.

Good: Some time with family (brother, sister, and brother-in-law). Found a cool ceramic piece from Italy. Went to the San Francisco Auto Show. As evil as cars are, I still want a Mustang GT or an Audi S4 (My brother leased an Audi A4-so the show did have a practical effect!) Also did a lot of my usual weekend activities-city hiking, photography, etc. Scobie, my collie mix, got a frou-frou bath and fluffing and nail trimming. He was pretty excited about it.

Bad: Sister didn't feel like cooking (and a turkey is beyond my capacity). Brother-in-Law is from rural Kentucky, with a sometimes iffy sense of "cuisine." He drug us to Hometown Buffet. These places just have a certain...smell about them. The overcooked white fish floating in a miasma of water and "butter" was especially nice. So was the soft-serve ice cream. I am too much of a food snob, but...urk. Oh well, the food wasn't the main point. Still, there has to be a compromise between $10 buffet food and the usual ridiculous yuppie palaces I tend to favor.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    ATTENTION PLANNERS - DURHAM NEEDS YOUR HELP! Could possibly become a great city, it has Duke University, it has a neighborhood retail district near the campus, it has attractive commercial & civic structures in downtown. But nothing clicked. Might possibly be the most disconnected city, at least the most I've seen. Full of potential but full of bad planning or no planning at all. Simply couldn't figure out this city, or really large town at all. It was like driving in a puzzle, but several puzzle pieces were missing.
    ex-UVA Grad Student here.

Richmond is pretty neat. Has the downtown retail come back at all?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 28
    Last post: 29 Nov 2011, 10:47 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 30 Nov 2006, 12:38 PM
  3. (other) Thanksgiving Traditions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 23 Nov 2004, 5:21 PM
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!